The Vortex Suit and Subscriber's Exclusive Jacket

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mana Yachanichu

The Vortex Suit and Subscriber's Exclusive Jacket

Post by Mana Yachanichu »

Okay, so I bought the Vortex Cycle when it came out. For two reasons; one, I donate when I can because this is a great game and I want to support it. But also, because at that point I didn't have any shirt or pants IotMs, and the Vortex Suit would be useful.

Well, fast forward a whole 2 months, and it's already obsolete. The Subscriber's Jacket outclasses the Vortex Suit pretty much completely, and frankly would do so even if it took up 2 equipment slots and the Suit only one. So I wouldn't ever use the Suit - and the Cycle isn't all that useful either.

So the question is: would it be possible to change the Vortex Suit/Cycle in some way to make it at all useful? Perhaps slightly buffing it; or one suggestion I heard would be have the Cycle change on [use] to a shirt and pants, which can then be assembled back into the Cycle (a la the armored pegasus). The shirt and pants can maybe have a set bonus. Another was to make the Cycle have a range of 5, and make stronger attacks from the suit.

So, to sum up: Vortex Pants? Or is this just the fastest obsolescence of an IotM ever?
acidcat

Re: The Vortex Suit and Subscriber's Exclusive Jacket

Post by acidcat »

I was one of the people who was agreeing with Mana, despite not having a vortex suit/cycle.

I think it's a bit underpowered. Just compare the vortex suit with the VHF1 fighter, the other suit/transport combo.
Vortex: -5 seconds to the duration of each turn and +20% to initiative
Suit: +6 damage absorption, +25% base metal drops, occasional attacks for about 10 HP

VHF1: +2-4 PP per turn, 5 daily airstrikes doing 30% of total damage.
Suit: +15 Strength, +20 defense, -10 seconds to the duration of each turn

Vortex just seems a bit weak. Suit means no equip of pants or top which is a big loss, so it's basically there as a transporter as you point out. It's clearly better at low levels than non-IotM transport alternatives, but -5 seconds and +20% to initiative is not a zillion times better than the paradime or hoverboard I like.

I really don't want to complain much, firstly because I thought it was weak and so didn't buy it. Secondly, Seppia's skullcap initially wasn't loved, but then retcon came and it became very much in demand, so who knows what the future holds? Except Ryme :)
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Mana Yachanichu wrote:Another was to make the Cycle have a range of 5
I can guarantee that will never happen. There is a reason that all the range 5 transport either requires Passable Pilot or has a high level requirement.

As for the suit being "obsolete", I'd disagree. Sure, it may not fit in to your strategy. That doesn't mean that all of sudden it's useless and no one will ever want. I love my Vortex Cycle.
Mana Yachanichu

Harry Dresden wrote:That doesn't mean that all of sudden it's useless and no one will ever want. I love my Vortex Cycle.
I love it for its flavor, but for an IotM, it would be nice if I got more than 2 months before something completely better came along. I can't think of many circumstances where people would have this and not the jacket, or want to use this and not the jacket.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

acidcat wrote:occasional attacks for about 10 HP
Um. No. Not at all. Nobody bothered to spade it, I guess (sigh), but the attacks are pretty varied.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I suppose doing a shirt just two months after a full-body suit wasn't the best of plans, but I think you're kind of underrating the Vortex.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Mana Yachanichu

Cristiona wrote:I suppose doing a shirt just two months after a full-body suit wasn't the best of plans, but I think you're kind of underrating the Vortex.
I don't see how. The jacket is completely better than the Suit, and the Cycle isn't all that useful as far as I can tell.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

If you don't like it, I'd suggest selling it on to someone who does want it. You'll recoup the stars you paid for it, and someone who likes the cycle and/or suit can put it to use.
Mana Yachanichu

That wasn't necessarily the point of making this thread - which was that an IotM got made obsolete within two months, and would it be possible to buff it in any way?

Although I guess the answer to my question is "absolutely not". Okay, fine.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

The cycle fits a distinct niche. It's an unleveled range 4 vehicle with -time. The only other -time vehicle is a modified semi-rare that requires level 12. The suit is also useful for boss fights, or if trying to get metals. And while titanium and plasteel are no big deal, getting cybertronium can be a real pain in the ass. Especially at higher levels.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Mana Yachanichu wrote: The jacket is completely better than the Suit, and the Cycle isn't all that useful as far as I can tell.
I accept that you don't find the suit as useful as the jacket, but I'm not convinced that the cycle as a whole is useless, and I'm going to argue that's subjective enough it's opinion rather than fact. I'll echo Cris's statement that we should probably try to avoid shirts that soon after full body suits in the future, but I don't think it's quite as bad for most people as it seems for you--there was a lot of clamor for an IotM vehicle which didn't require passable pilot before it came out.

I haven't seen any IotM go down in price. If you don't want the Vortex any more, I'd be really surprised if you couldn't sell it for at least your money back, if not a profit, on top of the two months of use.
Mana Yachanichu

mara wrote:I can see almost no reason why you would have bought this thing for the suit since it's, as you alluded to, underwhelming, and that's regardless of the shirt this month. This item was clearly valuable for the cycle and that thing is still awesome.
Well, I bought it for the suit since I had nothing else for those slots.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Corrupt Shadow uses the cycle on every run.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"