July's Item of the Month

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

July's Item of the Month

Post by Ryme »

Hey all. Just wanted to say I'm really sorry this is running slow. It was supposed to be finished tonight, but a debilitating headache is sidetracking those plans. It will absolutely be done sometime tomorrow, at which points I'll probably have a couple of other notes to go along with the announcement, all of which will end up here.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

This month's item is the Plaid couch. It's basically an item that summons items which summon sidekicks.

Sidekicks are a new but swiftly expanding territory, so there may be some quirks, and there may need to be some adjustments before the month is out. I don't think it'll be drastic, but I wanted to warn you that there might be at least some risk of minor changes.

I also wanted to be very clear that there will be many more in-game sidekicks in the course of the next few weeks and months, and those sidekicks will provide many of the same functions as the ones included here. (There are 3 new sidekicks just in the last week available regularly in game which already meet some of the new functions.) The donation ones from the couch are designed to provide easy options in terms of convenience of access, and more flavor, and sometimes greater duration or quality than some of the in-game ones. I say this mostly because I don't want anyone to feel they're required to donate to get useful/different sidekicks--there will be alternatives, though perhaps more difficult to acquire, or of varying quality in different aspects.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Feef Lovecraft wrote:Was kinda hoping for a shirt to be honest, fully coloured equipment ftw.
Xentrium breastplate is colored. Every non-colored item is black, white, or gray. Xentrium is silver.

Also, frankly, this really should have been expected, you know. Massive change to how sidekicks work, followed by a 4 day delay because of mechanics testing.

Personally, I'd like to see de-lumped couches providing a boost to your resting. I mean, naps on old couches are awesome.

Finally, I propose that all future IotM that create items that generate effects end in -ouch. Pouch, couch, um... slouch?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Touch? >.>

Love this. It has mucho potentiale too.

Youch. Vouch!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Let's keep it friendly.

And Feef, class really isn't that big of a decider. I may not be able to summon my own sidekicks, but I still had 40,000 minutes of buffalo before I shrugged it off for couch items.

Yes, you can summon your own sidekicks, but wolf and buffalo just attack. I wager most people would prefer the effects of the other sidekicks. I know I'd rather have the bonus XP from the old friend, and I wager farmers will much prefer the +chips of the mafia informant.

Yes, you can already summon sidekicks. And my Luxura is a 2 range vehicle with PP regen, so the Hero's Cape and VHF Fighter are useless. The riot shield goes in the off hand slot, so the Aegis is useless. And I can buy Denim Pants in Somerset, so those Dreampants can just screw off. Likewise, the Fighting Club is worthless, because I can equip a baseball bat.

If the only sidekick you could possibly want is one that attacks, then I guess you're right: you can summon sidekicks and thus don't "need" the couch. But to call the massive amount of work that went into the couch, to say nothing of all the writing, "unimpressive" is just insulting.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

As "impressive" and "being impressed" are totally subjective terms, that's fine. Hopefully you'll find next month's more interesting. I do think you'll eventually find the sidekick mechanic more rewarding when you explore the other options, but if you never find the couch handy, that's okay.

It may be a couple of months for a shirt, though, as the full body suit from the VHF-1 at least partially covers that slot.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

And storyline significance? Please? At least minor quests.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

mischal wrote: Now at first I really liked this sidekick, I think I've found something wrong with it though.. This companion can be destroyed, since it takes up all those nasty blows for you that can be expected. What is very annoying though is that it is destroyed no matter how many minutes you have! You can have 60 minutes or 600, doesn't matter if you loose the dummy you loose every last minute of it. I am hoping this is unintentional since it doesn't seem to serve point. I also think you loose it a bit too often but thats just my humble opinion. Other then that great sidekick! No need to sacrifice an equipment slot for damage absorption! (could defenately be my favorite if this gets fixed)
The dummy has both an HP limit and a time limit. Each use of the dummy adds to both. If it falls apart, it means you've reached the cumulative damage limit. If it didn't have an HP limit, it could be absorbing thousands or millions of HP of damage by the time a high-level player was done with it, and that would clearly be broken.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:If it didn't have an HP limit, it could be absorbing thousands or millions of HP of damage by the time a high-level player was done with it, and that would clearly be broken.
Heh... heh... heh...