February's IotM

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Satan

Post by Satan »

While you're at it, why not fish out some souls for my collection, doom :p
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Smoot wrote:Again, if you judge people, that would make sense. :roll:
Okay, let's eliminate suits from the equation.

If you're the type of person who wishes they could offer more buffs to other players (especially new players who would greatly benefit from HP/turn), then this item is for you. If you're more interested in a single player game, are high enough level that HP/turn (or PP/turn, or 5% ice resistance, etc) aren't that helpful, and you already have a Hero's Cape (so 5% item drops can be handled by a Seventh of Nine), then this item isn't especially useful.

However, think about the player who doesn't have a Cape. Currently, there is only one accessory that gives item drops (the aforementioned 7th of 9), and you can only wear one. 5% isn't a huge boost, but it's 5% more than you would have had. Furthermore, once you're done with your turns, you can dump out the pouch and either sell the items in the AH, or use them on yourself for a minor boost. After rollover, you have your 5% again.

Even fighting in the Pit as a level 50 character, I find a use for the buffs. I'm also shocked that you're sneering at the PP regen, especially considering how much you complain about healing in the Pit. And, the remote control would severely cut into the number of turns you "waste" resting in your hideout.

But, perhaps, all this is utterly worthless to you. That doesn't make the item "bad", it makes it non-useful for you and your play style. If it's this unlikable, just don't buy it. Save your ten bucks and see what rolls around in March.

Personally, I quite enjoy it. I don't need the 5% item drops, as I have a cape. I do like some of the buffs, though. The ones I don't need, I give to newer players, especially the one from the lost sock. I don't need extra damage; I do more than enough on my own. However, a low level character would find such a thing highly useful. Furthermore, giving little buffs like this to new players creates a more friendly environment, and makes new players more likely to stick around. I'm not a Naturalist; I don't have a dozen or so buffs that people would die for. All I can offer is Metal Detector. Sure, it's useful, but I wager a level 2 would rather have 10 or so bonus damage or HP regen.

But, I like helping out other players. Call me a heart, or call me helpful. It's not a matter of pigeonholing someone, it's a matter of my general and personal attitude towards the larger player base. You, clearly, don't share my feelings. That's fine; I'm not calling you a bad person. I just want you to understand that there's a difference between objective and subjective realities.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I hereby take back defending smoot...

Ryme says: remember, no name calling.

Corrupt Shadow replies: Roger, roger...
Last edited by Corrupt Shadow on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Smoot wrote:No the fact it's worthless means that it's both non useful and bad. And you can rest assured that I won't be picking one these things up ever.
Sigh.

I show you exactly how it can be useful, but you continue to pretend that your opinion is the only valid one. I don't even know why I bother.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Cristiona wrote: I don't even know why I bother.
Honstly, I think it may be better for the forums as a whole if nobody did bother. Smoot *knows* how to phrase socially appropriate and logically valid statements--and he does on occasion--but he chooses not to about half of the time, for whatever reason.

Arguing with him causes whole pages to be filled with repetitions of those nonconstructive arguments. Leaving the first post alone causes the thread to be 2% stuff I can't do anything with (a single post from Smoot) and 98% stuff I *can* do something with (every other post). I'm okay with someone being wildly unhelpful once, but pages of the same thing gets painful.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Poetfox: I definitely find it useful knowing what people like or dislike about items, and what makes them feel something is worth donating for. It can be really tough sometimes trying to figure out whether the things I'm throwing in there are actually appealing or not. For instance, I debated whether the Toasty Heart effect was basically just fluff, since people would use the items anyway and wouldn't care about a small bonus, or whether it was a nice touch. I'm sure there are people in both camps, of course, but it's good to have insight.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Well I still haven't been able to donate, but I've seen quite a bit of this item, and I thought I'd give my two cents. I have to be honest, I was a little disappointed when I found out the "items" were only out of combat usable and not, for instance, combat items. But as the effects of said items started to get spaded out, I'm starting to realize how great the item is. Keep up the good work!
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Powerful items aren't fun? Why not? :P

The Aegis would fit under your definition of "don't donate" as well...