Transportation

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Jesus

Post by Jesus »

Just remember to unequip your shoes before you get on the plane.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Also any liquid you may have with you must be put in small plastic bags. Yes, even your coffee.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Aynber wrote:Definitely need planes. What else am I going to use my pilot skill on? Falling off buildings? o_O
You know what, Superman? You're a real jerk when you're drunk.

But yes, we need a plane to get to the second continent.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

You know, I really thought there'd be a raft, then a ship, then a penultimate fantasy airship to unlock major new areas. Or something like that. Isn't that how games go?

Although, I have to admit I love the idea of going into space and/or fighting aliens. It's what superheroes do!
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

The Exclusive Continent?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

It's a map and your mode is by transportation for a reason: future content.

Patience, peoples.

I like enterthewumpus's idea, although it does seem kinda game breaking, even if the cost is moderately high.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Not if it works like the Maze. For instance:

You take the Desert Express for 50 chips and find yourself in the "Out in the Desert" container document. While there, you're limited. You can cast spells, sure, but if you want to change equipment, you need to spend another 50 chips to get back to Somerset. If you want to use the Hospital, or go to Jitterspout, you'd need to go back to Somerset, then hop on a different bus to the university or to downtown.

The biggest problem I see is a player who spends his last 50 chips getting to the desert and then immediately croaks. Potentially, you could be stranded there. This would probably be solved by forcing players to buy round trip tickets, so it'd be 100 up front.

Of course, I imagine this would be a nightmare to code.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Cristiona wrote:Of course, I imagine this would be a nightmare to code.
Yeah. I've thought seriously about using some sort of location enforcement--you have to pay to go each way, or even the time to patrol in an area could change to include the distance traveled--but yeah, nightmare to code is right. I have enough trouble with the simple distance restrictions and locking people in/out of the maze. (And I get a hefty number of comments/complaints about what is/isn't realistic to be able to do while you're locked in or locked out.) Trying to do that on a more global scale would take a lot of time and effort.

And, from the player perspective, I think it would add a complication that just isn't really that satisfying. Or it would be far more annoying than enjoyable. So I'd rather spare folks the trouble, and spare myself the trouble at the same time.

On the bright side, the need to avoid this "practical" restriction has given me cause to work on a little bit of science fiction storyline that I think people will enjoy.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

enterthewumpus wrote: Storyline, eh?
Yep. Storyline.

As soon as I've got internet back at my house (moving has caused me to be mostly without it for a few days) I'll start developing that line a bit.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:On the bright side, the need to avoid this "practical" restriction has given me cause to work on a little bit of science fiction storyline that I think people will enjoy.
Blue Laser is going to blow up the OCEAN?!