metting a Monk in the streets

Off-topic posts about whatever, including off-the-wall posts about being on walls.

Moderator: Moderators

IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

Would the two of you consider changing your atheist stance if there was evidence that
a) the Biblical God exists
b) evolution did not occur
c) Jesus was a real figure in history
d) the Bible is more reliable than most other ancient texts of that era
e) there is physical evidence that Noah's flood occurred?

It's all true, or at least better than the current (more widely accepted) theories.

Just thought I'd throw this out there seeing as this thread has a sort of religious slant at this point in time.
Have a nice day.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Devant wrote:d) The mount Ararat, where is supposed the Arc to have finely landed when the flood was cleansed, would lead to accept that that all life leaving in more elevated ground would survive (numerous mountains are taller). On the otehr hand, if the case is that earth was flooded up to the peak of Everest, and then the waters were lowered, it should be noted that such an enormous quantity of water would have led to the destruction of planet earth due to the extreme pressure.
While I could discuss other points, I'd like to bring attention to this one, as I know it better with onhand info.
The waters began to recede before the ark landed on Ararat (Gen 8:3-4 if you want the reference), so higher mountains could have been covered.

I've not heard your second point made there. I'll look into that sometime.

The whole rest of this discussion is where things get sketchy and no matter how much I believe what I do, there really is no scientific way of proving some of it, so I shall take my leave.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I'm a pretty faithful Christian, but I also believe there is undeniable scientific proof that evolution occured. But I personally have a theory that allows both the bible and evolution to be true. I won't bother explaining it, however, as I'm sure nobody wants to hear it and it's hard to explain anyway.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I don't know, I truly believe in just about everything in the bible, but different things kind of mean different things to me. Like I know no one got swallowed by a giant fish and was spit out and lived days later, but stories like that really teach good lessons. It's REELLY hard to explain. It's like... Some of the stuff totally happened, like the miracles Jesus performed, and the ressurection etc. I believe that. And hell (ooh, bad word choice :_), maybe somebody really did get swallowed by a fish. Because as of now, no one's been able to tell me how the universe was created. They go "Ooooh the big bang theory, oohhhh it all exploded blah blah." Ok, so how did all the shit get there in the first place? Nothingness doesn't explode. I believe God exists, and if God exists anything's possible. I mean, you can't just create stuff, even if your God. It needs to be thought out EXACTLY how everything would work. God created science. He created molecules, and atoms, and cells and everything. And maybe when he created earth, he created it as if it had already existed. Maybe he created fossils right out of the gate that had all the physical signs of being millions of years old just so there could be an explanation of it all.

This probably isn't making any sense.

Like I said, it's extremely difficult to explain. But you know what? Maybe God doesn't exist. But what's the point in living if there's nothing to look forward to when you're gone? Whats the harm in people like Mother Theresa? There's no reason not to believe, and plenty of reason to do so.