Contest: photo/art that you'd see in Twilight

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Contest: photo/art that you'd see in Twilight

Post by Ryme »

Goal:

Create an image of something you would see in one of the zones of Twilight city.

Deadline:

July 5, 2011. Contest closes at rollover on the 5th (which I realize is the morning of the 6th in places far east of the US). Judging to be completed by the 15th. Prizes to be distributed by the 20th.

Prizes:

To be determined in the next few days. Images will be used in-game for some special flavor content, but only one for each zone. Rather than having first/second/third place prizes, all selected pictures will win the same prize.

Details:

1. The goal is to capture something that fits well in any one of our existing zones where you can adventure (i.e., streets of downtown, or Area 54, etc.). It doesn't have to be related to a specific foe or noncombat, just something that captures the essence of what you'd expect from that location. Example: a hero perched on top of a gargoyle at the edge of a rooftop, peering over a city scape, might be a good "rooftops over downtown" image. I'll try to post some visual examples, if I can come up with some.

2. It should be something that I can make game art out of, which requires either photography, or a fairly detailed sketch, or 3D computer graphics. I'm not too picky about which, and you can blend all of the above, as long as I can get the final product to look consistent. Your art does not (should not) be in TH style, just a normal photorealistic image. Color is not only allowed, but encouraged.

3. Images should be at least 300x225 pixels. Bigger is fine, smaller is not, both vertical or horizontal is acceptable. The final image will be in a 4:3 ratio, so if you make something that's square, I will end up cropping it.

4. Three entries max per person, for now. I'm not sure how many people will want to do this. That's more for your sanity than my own, just to keep anyone from going too crazy. Subject to change if not many people enter, or a lot of people say they have ideas for more than three zones.

5. Post your entries with at minimum the name of the zone they're trying to match, and perhaps with a sentence or three of description, if you like.

6. For each zone, only one image can be a winner. There may be strategic value in picking images for zones other people aren't submitting for.

7. Most of the judging weight will be placed on sheer visual interest, with the remainder being based on the image's fit for the zone. Humor is neither encouraged nor discouraged.

8. To clarify, "zones" means places you can adventure, like your neighborhood, the cube theater, the depths of space, etc. Just about anything in the "Patrol" sections of the map. Any place where you can't adventure is out -- no shops, no NPC's, no training centers.

9. I'm probably forgetting some stuff. Ask questions if you need clarification.
Corrupt Shadow

Re: Contest: photo/art that you'd see in Twilight

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

OOooooooooohhhhhhh... goodie!
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Mana Yachanichu

Post by Mana Yachanichu »

Presumably it can;t be a copyrighted image, or however that works?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yep.
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

Edit: I read FIVE entries per person, not THREE entries per person. I have removed the errant extra entry.

When I think of the Triassic Park and Bestiary I think of the ruins at Ostia Antica:
http://flic.kr/p/9R1Zax

These are steps inside Clifford's Tower in York. I think they would fit nicely in Castle Hundenswein:
http://flic.kr/p/9ReRuE

This is Bedlam (now the Imperial War Museum). I think it would be appropriate to use it in Shiloh Sanitarium:
http://flic.kr/p/9Rc9KV
Last edited by Isladar on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Non-entries that I just think should be in the game:

Two that have text-only images... thought they could use an image:
International House of Auctions

The Sun Coast Potion Mixture Company

The last is one that I think just needs an image... the Hideout:
Hideout

(Edit: There... they are "non-entries" now... hehe)
Last edited by Corrupt Shadow on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

CS, I have to point you to Details #2 (photo style) and #3 (dimensions).

And #1. Zones would be places you adventure. Shops are going to be excluded from this.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I know... just took the opportunity to give images for shops with text-only placeholders.

The current rooftops of downtown picture seems more... residential to me. The one below is definitely more commercial.

If I think of more, I'll post 'em.

Another "non-entry"... just something I thought was fitting for Quincy's Airship Emporium...
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Isladar wrote:This is Bedlam (now the Imperial War Museum). I think it would be appropriate to use it in Shiloh Sanitarium:
http://flic.kr/p/9Rc9KV
Ooo. I like. And it's a nice call-back.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Nommy

Post by Nommy »

The Cube
Bottom: The Bewildered and Bewitched

Your Neighborhood
WareBee-He could drop the Bee Gun

Maybe another one later.
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

The Skies over Downtown
Classic photo of NYC. I feel like there are no really good shots of a city in that zone, and this one definitely adds that. Dunno how well it will scale, but Im sure some photoshop-fu or cropping can get the gist across.

Base Outskirts
Non combat, you stumble upon the base's obstacle course and decide to give it a quick run through. SOme kind of xp/stat bonus. Beyond that, the base should have a military obstacle course, even if it is not this image.

Neighborly and Neighboring

Kids playing in sprinkler, pretty basic...
Last edited by blackmatter615 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Just a reminder we've only got a few days left. Get your entries in soon!
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

I took these a few years ago: All for the bay!

Most of my photos are on the spare hard drive. Didnt realise there was a comp till today, so havent got time to check them out.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Dangit. Kept forgetting to get a couple pictures for this.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Contest closed -- thanks for the entries. I'll count on the mods to keep me accountable for deadlines.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Deadline means you try to get to it before you die, right? Maybe put it in the will so your kids make a half-hearted effort to do it for you?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Thanks again for all the entries. There was a fantastic lack of overlap for the most part, so short answer is: everyone wins! In a couple of cases I'm moving pictures to slightly more suitable zones, but I think I can use most of the entries. I'm holding Mara to just three (to be fair to the other entrants) and just using one of Strlikecrazy's for the bay, but it all worked out really well.

The rundown:
* play it safe (moved from your neighborhood) - mara

* your neighborhood - nommy

* neighborly and neighboring - blackmatter615

* guild metachronism - mjrgannet

* porcelain bay - strlikecrazy

* rooftops downtown - Corrupt shadow

* skies over downtown - blackmatter615

* area 54 (closest to "desert") - mjrgannet

* docks - mara

* BO Derrick (rather than porcelain bay) - mara

* outskirts of base - blackmatter615

* yang - mjrgannet

* cube - nommy

* shiloh sanatarium - isladar

* triassic park - isladar

* castle hundenswein - isladar
I've even managed to take a first stab at converting each of the images, as shown here:

http://twilightheroes.com/images/photo-contest/

Everyone gets one prize for each photo used. Now about the prizes, I still haven't figured out what they'll be, but I'll get cracking on that.

Congrats again to the winners, thanks for all the contributions!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:Now about the prizes, I still haven't figured out what they'll be, but I'll get cracking on that.
Kindling!
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

So, these are for new things, or are you changing the size of standard stuff from 150x150?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

CS, this is for something different, not standard adventuring. Full implementation may take me a while, even with this boost.
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

Spiffy!
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Woo, thank you Ryme :)
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I've been distributing prizes to all the winners: one silver star and one not-yet-implemented item for each winning photo. Thanks again to all the contributors!

MjrGannet, I'm not 100% which account is the one you prefer to have the prizes sent to, so please let me know.

Disclaimer: unimplemented items will be implemented sometime in the next couple of months, and probably not ridiculously hard to get.