All New Players: Please Read

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

neocamp22

All New Players: Please Read

Post by neocamp22 »

First, Please read the Forum Policies and FAQ-
http://twilightheroes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83

A couple of points:

1) Ryme must activate all accounts as per the sticky at the top of the forum, so anyone who was able to create an account, your account will be activated as soon as Ryme logs back on.

2) Bug reports can be submitted with the link in the bottom pane

3) Chronology problems with the journal and quests. They were all written under the (false) assumption that quests would be completed in order. It seemed sensible at the time, and I'll need to fix this. But in the short term, there's no need to report these, either. I definitely know about it.

Ryme says: Thanks, though, to all those who were trying to help by pointing these out thus far. I do really appreciate that there are a lot of folks genuinely interested in making the game a better experience.
Last edited by neocamp22 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Neocamp speaks rightly. I'm aware there's lag, and I'll look into doing something as soon as I can. Yesterday morning the game had roughly 350 accounts, of which maybe 100 were active. Last time I checked, we were nearly at 1300 accounts and counting. I'll be looking into seeing how to speed things up, including both seeing if I can streamline existing code and also looking into adding more hardware. Right now I've just got one server, and it's not up to a thousand new accounts a day, apparently.

I definitely don't need to be told there's lag or have bug reports submitted about it--I'll fix it as soon as I can.

I may need some details about the specific error that's being given, if anyone can provide them. I know I've seen a lot of 500 errors today (from the lag, I think) and there's also the issue that you have to ask me to activate the account and then I have to have the chance to actually do so (I've got a day job and am really only free in the evenings to work on the game). But if the error is something other than that, please let me know about it (preferably by quoting it verbatim) through an in-game bug report.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Definately quite a few 500 errors...
Are you planning on having chat mods? If so, I'm guessing they would be some of the alpha testers? Because I would of course be happy to do it, but I doubt you want me too, seeing how I've only been playing for 3 days...
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

No real chat = no chat mods. Sure they can be mods in name, but that's all for now. I'm assuming that there won't be mods till chat 2.0.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Uh, make that nearly 1500 accounts. That's 200 in the last two hours. Crazy.

TheK3vin, I will indeed have mods, both for chat and the forums. Didn't realize it would get this crazy this fast. I appreciate your asking, but per the FAQ, we have a strict policy of discouraging requests/offers to be mods (otherwise we're likely to get swamped). Also--an no offense to you personally, because we've had some good conversation--but in general I'm going to need to interact with folks for more than a few days before giving them the chance to mess with other accounts. The best way to get asked to be a mod is to be present, coherent, and reasonably pleasant in chat, and then continue to do so for an extended period of time.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Yeah, as far as I can tell, even with the lag, I haven't heard of one person not enjoying the game. Also, ryme, what's your policy on linking to the wiki in chat or forums? I don't think that it is mentioned in the FAQ.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Ryme- That's totaly what I expected- no offense taken. Good luck.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

neocamp22 wrote:Yeah, as far as I can tell, even with the lag, I haven't heard of one person not enjoying the game. Also, ryme, what's your policy on linking to the wiki in chat or forums? I don't think that it is mentioned in the FAQ.
On the forums: help and hints should remain spoiler free. Mentioning the wiki there = bad. Elsewhere in the site is fair game.

Chat: for the moment, I'd prefer not anywhere. Once I've got actual channels set up, then we'll probably say newbie is spoiler-free and other areas are okay.

Sound good?
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

I know there's at least one link to the new wiki in the wiki thread, so you'll probably want to remove that then :D
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sorry, that was supposed to say the Help and Hints section of the forum is spoiler free. The rest of the forums are okay -- so the wiki thread in gameplay discussion is fine.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Other known problems:

1) Database/mysql errors. These are happening nearly as often as the 500 errors, and I think they're caused by the same thing. I'm fairly sure the game isn't broken, just overloaded. Please don't report them for now.

2) Chronology problems with the journal and quests. They were all written under the (false) assumption that quests would be completed in order. It seemed sensible at the time, and I'll need to fix this. But in the short term, there's no need to report these, either. I definitely know about it.

Thanks, though, to all those who were trying to help by pointing these out thus far. I do really appreciate that there are a lot of folks genuinely interested in making the game a better experience.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

New players might not know what a wiki is or what it may have and may click when they don't want to be spoiled.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yep, that's the policy for now. Once we have spoiler-safe areas, like a newbie channel, etc., I'll lift the restriction a little. But unless someone goes out of their way to find a spoiler site, I'd rather not have temptation thrown at them if they're having fun and just looking for a hint.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I think the site's been down for most of the day. Just got through to tech support who restarted the web server app, and things are back up. I'll have to keep an eye on it, I guess. Sorry for the inconvenience.