PETITION: A gameplay topic channel (spoilers? maybe)

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

MagiNinjA

PETITION: A gameplay topic channel (spoilers? maybe)

Post by MagiNinjA »

I want to see the addition of a /gameplay channel, where the main purpose (note, main, not ONLY) would be for gameplay related things, mechanics, spading, and the like. This channel would be spoilers ahoy, and pretty much would be like /normal except with spoilers and more gameplay talk.

I feel that there would be a sufficient amount of people who would want one to populate it as a separate channel.

Post here for support.
Satan

Re: PETITION: A spoiler allowed gameplay topic channel

Post by Satan »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=666

t=666

I rest my case.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

1. You can already spoil things in normal. Just not newly discovered stuff in 48 hours. And that rule is going to hold true for all public mediums at all times.

2. If gameplay talk doesn't happen in normal now, why would I believe dividing the audience further would increase gameplay discussion in another channel?
Satan

Post by Satan »

While the lack of the 48 hour rule would probably be the most beneficial part of that channel, I can see how normal kinda kills gameplay discussion. Even if it's allowed, normal's practically still the main channel everyone goes to, and it might be spoilery to new people who show up there to talk.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

1. I'm not sure why you contend that, as it'll always be happening in private/other mediums. There's only fragmentation between community members of the diamond/spade types without channel support.

2. It's not that it doesn't happen, it's just that /normal is basically the dump for EVERYTHING, so it basically has less time for everyone's talk. A focused channel will attract members for gameplay talk, I'm quite sure.
Satan

Post by Satan »

MagiNinjA wrote:1. I'm not sure why you contend that, as it'll always be happening in private/other mediums. There's only fragmentation between community members of the diamond/spade types without channel support.

2. It's not that it doesn't happen, it's just that /normal is basically the dump for EVERYTHING, so it basically has less time for everyone's talk. A focused channel will attract members for gameplay talk, I'm quite sure.
What he's really asking for is a hippy circle to hold hands in and sing kumbaya >.>

EDIT: What if there was a huge SPOILER WARNING when you entered the gameplay channel with a confirmation, and you type y to continue or n to not >.> This would prevent accidental spoilering of 48 hour stuff to people who didn't want to know, and allow conversation about it while it was happening.
the SUPERnaturalist

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

i hear this new channel will have pie.
'nuff said.
=D
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Opposed. Seriously... it's two days. Surely you have enough patience to wait 1/182nd of a year.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Sure, I don't have a problem with it, but some people can't keep it in, and I think it would cut down on the "oops" moments in /normal.

Not to mention it's sort of discriminatory compared to the other channels (there are obviously more channels than just gameplay, but it's definitely one of them).
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

...discriminatory?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Er, wasn't clear on that. There's a /games, /roleplay and /trade channel. Why not have a /gameplay?

This wouldn't be particularly hard to just stick in anyways, from what I've heard from Olaf.

Why not just give it a test run and see what happens?
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

MagiNinjA wrote:...A focused channel will attract members for gameplay talk, I'm quite sure.
Somehow, I doubt that. Trade and Games always end up in Normal at first anyway.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

And somehow, I think my faith in this channel is not misplaced.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

MagiNinjA wrote:Sure, I don't have a problem with it, but some people can't keep it in, and I think it would cut down on the "oops" moments in /normal.
I doubt it would. Just because there's some other place to put spoilers, normal will always get any that is unintentional. If the rule now says no spoilers in any channel for 48 hours, and they still do, why would "oops" moments migrate?
Are they African or European oopses?
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Satan

Post by Satan »

Those wonderful points aside, I think the main benefit of the channel isn't cutting down on accidental oops's, but increasing actual communication between players in a way where spoiling doesn't matter. I mean, the game /is/ supposed to be multi-player, in a sense, which is what chat's for. If you can't discuss the stuff in chat, when it's happening, odds are, you don't discuss it at all. And obviously people /do/ want to discuss. Even we had trouble just talking about the stuff tonight because we had to cover for spoilers. And not everyone wants to go to IRC to talk about it. Half the fun of the new content is making new discoveries and sharing it on our IRC channels :/ I don't see why that would be a bad thing to have it there for people who want to talk about it. Not to mention, IRC, is limited to the people we get to go there who can use IRC.
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Have to agree with Satan. When the assembly for the Jetpack first appeared, all i wanted to do was make one and discuss where certain items were. Although i managed to - through sending messages - no-one could even mention the word assembly in chat without being told off for spoiling.

Off the point, the Jetpack assembly over the 2 days was awesome! :D
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Opposed.
==
insert clever .sig file here
==
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Is most of the opposition because of the fact that it would split chat up? If that? I don't see that as a problem.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Games is the only really unused channel. I assume most people listening to this gameplay channel would be listening to normal anyways.
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

MagiNinjA wrote:Is most of the opposition because of the fact that it would split chat up? If that? I don't see that as a problem.
I have yet to see a reason why 2 days is an unreasonable request to withhold info on the chat and forums?
==
==
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

People who hold games can have their own channel, people who roleplay have their own channel and traders have their own channel. Why not one for those curious about mechanics? Why is this such a trouble?

It's much less about the spoiler rule as it is about building the diamond/spade community.
Satan

Post by Satan »

malk-a-mite wrote:
MagiNinjA wrote:Is most of the opposition because of the fact that it would split chat up? If that? I don't see that as a problem.
I have yet to see a reason why 2 days is an unreasonable request to withhold info on the chat and forums?
Because 2 days is enough time for everyone to have gone through it and there's really no reason to discuss it past that point. I might also add that, on the spade side, communication is what helped us find the combinations for some of the new items in IRC. I don't see how it's any different for it to be in an actual chat channel, besides more people being able to participate >.>
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I listen to every channel, so I guess I really don't care either way.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

MagiNinjA wrote:People who hold games can have their own channel, people who roleplay have their own channel and traders have their own channel. Why not one for those curious about mechanics? Why is this such a trouble?

It's much less about the spoiler rule as it is about building the diamond/spade community.
Here's what looks like the issue with this thread/petition, people are arguing about 2 different things. Some are discussing a channel for the diamonds/spades, others are still discussing the idea of a channel without the 48 hour rule. Ryme's ruled out the latter but the discussion of the former is getting bogged down with it and it all looks a bit muddled.

I'd say yes to a channel for the spades and no to a channel without the 48 hour rule.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I realize that, but the problem with that is that no one will have real motivation or reason to go there, then.
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

MagiNinjA wrote:I realize that, but the problem with that is that no one will have real motivation or reason to go there, then.

And now you understand why some of us consider it a silly request.
==
==
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Now that I look at that, it might not be necessary, but it's also a nice feature given the nature of the channel.

Seriously, is there hate for just trying it experimentally?
the SUPERnaturalist

Re: PETITION: A gameplay topic channel (spoilers? maybe)

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

yea seriously, the idea of no spoilers is to prevent hardcore gamers from finding out too much accidentally, if it's in big red letters THIS CHANNEL INCLUDES SPOILERS i don't really think it'd be an issue at all
=D
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

the SUPERnaturalist wrote:yea seriously, the idea of no spoilers is to prevent hardcore gamers from finding out too much accidentally, if it's in big red letters THIS CHANNEL INCLUDES SPOILERS i don't really think it'd be an issue at all

Quote the Ryme:
"1. You can already spoil things in normal. Just not newly discovered stuff in 48 hours. And that rule is going to hold true for all public mediums at all times."

... so again, what is the purpose?
==
==
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

To foster the community aspect of the diamonds and spades. There is a heavy need for this, at the very least, in the future.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Honestly, I can't see a heavy need for a mechanics channel. I doubt at this stage too many people would use it. And discussion like that doesn't really /need/ to be real-time because you've got as long as you want, basically, to figure it out. That can be done over wiki discussion pages, or very easily in normal chat, as has been pointed out. The only real benefit would be the lack of the 48 hour rule for the channel when new content comes out, because discussion of that stuff /can't/ occur yet, and never does due to the 48 hour rule. It's a facet as yet only explored by us clan people/those of us in #blandsauce on IRC, pretty much. Which may be why no one else can relate to it, because they've never done it. Meh. Don't know, don't care.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I still think it'll have good use in the near future. We just haven't had the boom that KoL has in diamonds and spades. Spoiler or not.