Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Hm. How about a pond, with basically impossible enemies. But, during snow days, it freezes over, and players can rent skates to skate to the island in the center of the pond. Which has cool stuff on it.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Voice wrote: I don't know if I'm the only one like this, but I like my inventory to be very neat and uncluttered. If there are items I want to keep for awhile/permanently but they have no immediate usage, they get stuck in my memento case. However, key items are always there, cluttering my way.
You're not the only one like this. However, you've got very strong competition from a large crowd of people who can forget or lose just about anything. So I'm a teensy bit understanding about clutter, but for me it's a choice between you dealing with a little clutter or me dealing with hundreds of bug reports when something gets put somewhere it shouldn't be. The tradeoff there simply isn't worth it. Cluter is a minor annoyance for you. A player who thinks the game is broken is just as likely to leave as they are to ask me how to fix it, and that's a pretty serious issue.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

mischal wrote:If your worried people will loose stuff by putting it where it shouldnt be, just make it so things automatically get put where they should be. Then there won't be any confusion.
Now I'm confused--you seem to be disagreeing with me, but making a point that matches my own. With respect to quest items, I'm doing what you suggest: anything that's important to the completion of a quest needs to stay in your inventory, because if it gets put anywhere else, it's not where it needs to be. That's why it can't be moved to the memento case or sold.

Voice's objection was that I wasn't letting people move things from where they need to be to someplace where it could break the quest.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Kevin seconds this motion
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

What categories would you like?
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Off the top of my head, I can think of:
Useables (with some subcategories like Sidekicks and Effect-Giving items)
Equipment
Quest Items
Edible items (with subcategories Caffiene and Sugar)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

TheK3vin wrote:Useables (with some subcategories like Sidekicks and Effect-Giving items)
Equipment
Quest Items
Edible items (with subcategories Caffiene and Sugar)
We could call them "Use Things" and "Wear Things" for the first two...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Cristiona wrote: them "Use Things" and "Wear Things" for the first two...
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they don't still still show up in the inventory. Having these in a lower section or even taking them off the page entirely would save some time looking for stuff.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Perhaps you could reverse the trend and reward the player if you beat the optional villain, instead of making it mandatory and penalizing the player.
darkzumi

Post by darkzumi »

I don't like that the psion only gets 3 combat skills, and two of them are almost useless against robots... Therefore, I have made a new skill! Please let me know what you think!!! :)

Telekinetic Crush

This skill allows you to crush and mangle foes with telekinetic power. It is just as effective against mindless robots as it is against people. Now when you say "I'm crushing your head!", you won't be just all talk!

Combat Skill
Cost: 25 PP

Note: Attained as a level 20 Psion is my suggestion, maybe 25?
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

warmaking baton + peacekeeping baton needs to be a recipe
epic baton, Tolstoy's Baton of Contradiction, something along those lines. Or, you know, they just cancel eachother out and leave a baton squared.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

There should be a Clockwork Lemon. Or some other citrus.
darkzumi

Post by darkzumi »

Ok, I have an idea for a merit badge:
Name: Something like "Unlitterbug" or "Anti-litterbug"
How to get: In the "Crime Never Sleeps ... or Does It?" adventure choose the "Spend some time picking up litter" option 500 times! You don't need to do them all in a row.
What do you all think?
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

In retrospect, KoL trophies are way more adventures.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I sort of wished that Merit Badges had some more skill involved, but I guess that'll come with Retconscension.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I would remind everyone of MeatSink (#19342), who is open for chip sink donations. I also still think there should be a literal "Chip sink" that you can pour your chips down for rewards.

The fundamental flaw with chip sinks is that the people who generate the largest income of chips into the economy, the farmers, and have the chips that are raising star prices so much, are the people who don't participate in chip sinks. You can't really create something that gets rid of chips from the market that will have enough incentive for chip farmers. This is because anything chip sink you implement has to make the game better for the person who is participating in it. When you're a farmer, the only way to make the game better is to get more chips. Which creates a pretty big problem when you're trying design a chip sink that targets the people with the most chips.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I take offense to that. I have a lot of chips, and I normally sell stars starting at 100,000.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Hm. Well, what I was saying is that the farmers are the ones who have the most chips in the market, but I guess that's not true since all those chips go to buying stars and other things... Which end up in the hands of people who donate. So... Never mind?

Carry on.
the SUPERnaturalist

meatsink

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

actually, i think that's a good idea, a real in game meatsink, that will offer WAY more losses then benefits, but that people will play anyway because individual events are random etc.
just plop it down in the university or something, and make it a picture of a black hole

"You approach the gigantic gaping hole in the ground, which is surrounded by various students of all kinds that seem to be throwing their chips in. On one side of the hole, a raver has just been beaned with what seems to be a glowstick that somehow flew out of said hole, on another, a guy sipping coffee flips a single chip in, and is showered by a mountain of chips that the hole spits out at him. Nearby, you see a group of geeks whispering in that fake way that you see in movies, where they say carrots and peas repeatedly."
"so what the heck is this thing anyway?", you ask
A student with glasses disproportional to his body replies,
"when we were experimenting with chips, we tried to fuse together a quarterchip and an extra large whopper chip, only to have it suddenly suck up all the chips in the entire building. Apparently it uses chipatlclysmic force to recombine the sheer ESSENCE(i put that in caps in case you wanted to put an entry in the TH dictionary) of the chips and homes in onto the source and spits something back. So far, we've gotten some pretty awesome things from it, but most of us are broke.
"so what you're saying is that this is a gigantic-"
"chipsink, correct."
"nice."
=D
the SUPERnaturalist

more meatsink

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

well, it could give exp/stat points probability based on how much chips are thrown in, and also give chips back sometimes
say, for each 100k thrown in, there's a 1/100 chance of the player getting a single stat point, or also a 1/100 chance of them getting enough exp to get 4% of their current level or something, and a 1/100 chance of getting 10 times the chips thrown in back. if the idea is interesting enough to ryme, you could thrown in 2 or 3 sink-only rare items, and for the rest of the chances, give like 50% of the time, nothing, and the rest of the time a random item from the game
example:
pete throws in 5 mil, and gains 3 stat points and since he is at level one, he gains 4% 4 times (the 4 is random) and gets some exp.
bob throws in 100k, and is lucky enough to get a (insert item here) (lucidia's murky gem of darkness?<-talisman?)(piece of wood?<- collectible useless item)(negative 1 chip<- sellable for -1 chips? :D)
joe throws in 100 mil, looking for some quick exp. he has horrible luck: gets 4% exp and nothing else, and the game has 100 mil chips less :D)
when people throw in really little chips, you can make the chances exponentially decrease, maybe on a logarithmic scale or something. (though you can't do the same thing for increases or people will abuse the feature by repeatedly throwing in 100k instead of lump throwing) EDIT: maybe give a super slightly higher chance of getting stuff when larger amount of chips are thrown in (so if you thrown in 100k, you have a 3% chance of getting an awesome stuff, but if you throw in 10 mil, each 100k you throw in gets an extra .1% bonus chance?)

You walk around behind the Castle, and look around. Seeing nothing, you step forward with your left foot and almost fall into a GIGANTIC gaping hole. You quickly take your left foot out and shake it all about in case there's anything on it. You're so scared out of your wits you do the hokey pokey, and finally cool down enough to look down, instead of around. The hole seems to be like a volcano, except instead of looking through fire and flames (aren't they the same thing?), it's completely empty. Like so empty that the guy who's mom has her own gravity would be rejoiced at finding a place his mother can finally settle down. Next to you, you notice some geeks, probably from the University. They were hiding under their cloak of univisibility (not in, uni.) before, and you didn't see them.
"what the heck is that thing"?
"dunno, one of us accidentally dropped a chip inside once and got beaned in the face with a piece of wood. Then some other idiot decided to drop some more chip in, and was showered by a geyser of chips that erupted out at him. Unfortunately, the rest of us are completely broke. It's like one of those things in those text based games designed to decrease total wealth in the game and decrease inflation, while at the same time giving a select few lucky players benefits. Or maybe it's just a big hole, who knows."
"nice. is that where you got that cloak?"
"no, that's our graduation outfit."
=D