Suggestion for sidekicks

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Should Gedgeteers and Elementalist get summonable sidekicks?

Yea
67%
Nay
24%
Too Cowardly to Answer
10%

Total votes: 21

Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Just so you know, while I do weigh public opinion, I won't necessarily make a design choice based solely on a poll, however lopsided the results come out.

That said, I certainly see a narrative case for gadgeteers to be able to build a sidekick. Elementals, though -- it just doesn't seem to fit. Also, elementals I think are considered among the more powerful classes at the moment, so they probably need less attention than the other classes at the moment.

Also, the practically free sidekick I just added is designed to be available to anyone at almost any time, so elementals and gadgeteers can have one for minimal cost at this point, even if they aren't unique.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I agree with Ryme, actually.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Ryme wrote:Also, elementals I think are considered among the more powerful classes at the moment, so they probably need less attention than the other classes at the moment.
Sadly yes - no sidekick can ever match Lifeblood manipulation.
Gadgeteers being able to build something would be cool - I feel like they are lacking in the actual gadget realm a bit. I want to see more random things snapping together (and then falling apart).
==
insert clever .sig file here
==
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Moar Lock's Quest references!!!

Fantastic game about being a "archineer" a person who builds things against an army of clcokwork gadget monsters. It's quite entertaining and awesome.
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

I definitely think Gadgeteers should have sidekicks, and I think there's a narrative case for Elementals to have them too. That class shares its name with magically summoned spirits created from the four elements, small creatures which are ideal for sidekickness. The original elementals were sylphs (air), gnomes (earth), salamanders (fire) and nymphs (water).
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

For some reason I just have to laugh at the thought of a gnome sidekick. This is despite the fact I don't see any problems with water buffalo, little kids, and crows. But gnomes? Heh.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Well, Underground Intelligent Terrans are like gnomes, right?
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:For some reason I just have to laugh at the thought of a gnome sidekick.
He could stab enemies with his pointy hat!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

I think gadgeteers should have their own sidekick, and... they should be able to make some other kind of "gadgety" stuff... as far as I know the only thing they can build (that nobody else can) is the positronic computer...

and elementasl with sidekicks, well... the wind warriors sounds more "elemental" than "psion" to me, I have nothing against psions..

and I think that the earth elemental being were golems and not gnomes.. tee hee :lol:
Top 10 on the Total Post list
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Elementals can create golems, and gadgeteers can weld various metals to them to make them more badass?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

yeah.. well.. anyhow.. I htink clay is a variation of earth.. isn't it?
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

Yes it is, but Darkorinth is correct. Golems have nothing to do with elementals. But well done on posting something that's not more-or-less spam.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Wind Warrior is a spell from the Bard's Tale computer game series. It's a psychic spell that causes damage to your opponents if they fail to resist the illusion. "Wind" in this case is an alliterative and figurative way to say "illusionary". They deal damage the way any other psychic weapon deals damage: to the mind.
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

Cristiona wrote:He could stab enemies with his pointy hat!

I've been thinking.. a gnome sidekick... it could find the items that the foe's drop.. y'know.. since... he is really close to the floor... :lol:
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:Wind Warrior is a spell from the Bard's Tale computer game series.
WIWA, wasn't it? :P
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Probably. I used the mac click interface and didn't spell them out much.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ah. I played 3 first, and usually typed in the letters. Then again, there were something like seven or eight mage classes, so there were a lot of spells.

Um... er... [/threadjack]
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

I support that idea.
but apparently most of the creatures that walks with us fit much more on the companion term...
the idea of a sidekick with a back story like in the old comics (I'm thinking about Daredevil's Elektra, the well-known Batman's Robin, etc) is real awesome :)

and... please.. forgive my Ignorance... who's Melody?
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

Doctor Mojo wrote: Another way to make sidekicks more interesting is if we could be each other's sidekicks.
I always wanted to be Cristiona's Sidekick.. but she always rejected me... I don't know why...
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Doctor Mojo wrote:A real sidekick is not an anonymous teenager hired at the local pizza joint for sub-minimum wage. He (or she) needs a back story and a potential future.

Sidekicks have a future!

==
insert clever .sig file here
==
Lxndr

Post by Lxndr »

This is a difficult question to answer - I feel Gadgeteers should get sidekicks, while Elementalists should not. So there's no good way to answer this poll as it is currently phrased.
Alexander Cherry
Twisted Confessions