Thoughts on Progress

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Lxndr

Thoughts on Progress

Post by Lxndr »

So, one thing that KoL manages to feed really well is my desire to feel like I've progressed, like I'm improving in some form or fashion, and without losing the effort I already put forth (i.e. ascension, where I get a skill to keep with me). Even Urban Dead managed to do this for me, with its skill collection.

Does TH have anything that might feed that hunger? If so, I haven't found it. Sure, I can transmogrify, I think; change to a brand new class. But that requires the loss of all the effort I put forth; the skills and XP and all that go away entirely, without any feeling of progress/improvement/advancement (or so I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong).

And if TH does not have such a feature, are there plans for implementing or including such a feature in the future?
Alexander Cherry
Twisted Confessions
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

There are indeed plans for ascension or something like it. Not sure when, though--it's definitely something that will take some time.
Lxndr

Post by Lxndr »

Excellent! At the moment I've found myself busying my time with PvP, which is an interesting execution (it's held my interest, which few PvP systems do) and trying to collect things like merit badges. But really, watching numbers go up (like chips, pvp rank, xp) just, for some reason, doesn't hold my interest the way ascension's skill-collecting does.

(Inventory management, like collecting items, just doesn't do much for me either. Partly I got frustrated with the monotony of the Fiendish Pit after spending several months there trying to get an Abaddon charm. Hunting the Kraken, at least, didn't feel as monotonous. I'm not sure why that is.)

I'm mostly interested in "something like it" - I can't see anything as basic as a copy of KoL's ascension mechanic being all that lovable in this game (plus, "woo hoo, you're now another superhero type, you get to keep a skill" just kinda doesn't feel like superheroish). And I'm really curious as to what other implementations might feed this hunger that I have.

Would you mind sharing some of the ideas you might be tossing around?

(I should note: I am still playing the game. I like it enough to have donated quite a bit over the past year.)
Alexander Cherry
Twisted Confessions
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

That sounds like the perfect topic for a thread!
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Ahem.

http://twilightheroes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50

It's a year old, but it's nice to have everything in one place. Feel free to revive it.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Nice snag, Neo. I thought there was a thread about that around somewhere. I can't vouch for the accuracy of anything in there at this point, though.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

To clarify, that's what I was referring too :)