Ryme's second novel - now published

Off-topic posts about whatever, including off-the-wall posts about being on walls.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Ryme's second novel - now published

Post by Ryme »

Update update: It's published! See the final post for details.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y77R186

------------------

Update: See post at the bottom. I'm looking for readers to give me feedback as I polish the novel for publication.

------------------------

I'm working on a second novel. This one is completely different from the first. It's a fantasy adventure novel on the surface, and is also a nod to and parody of classic fantasy computer RPGs. If you remember Ultima, Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, Wizardry, Might and Magic, or any of many other CRPGs, older and newer, you may find a bit of humorous nostalgia there.

I'm taking a different tactic with this story, releasing chapters of the rough draft in blog form to generate some discussion and feedback. I might eventually publish a revised version of the story as an ebook, counting on reader comments rather than a professional editor to help me pull the project together.

You can find the first several chapters at http://bardball.blogspot.com/
Satan

Re: Ryme is writing another novel - free to read

Post by Satan »

Just offhand, the 6th chapter title makes me think of a song of ice and fire. Did GRRM influence this at all?
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Satan

Post by Satan »

Another offhand, is the main character's name Leeroy Jenkins?
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Satan wrote:Just offhand, the 6th chapter title makes me think of a song of ice and fire. Did GRRM influence this at all?
I've read his books (except for the newest one), so it's possible. I'm not intentionally giving him any nods here, because I'm primarily focused on games rather than books, but a little might slip in at some point.
Satan wrote:Another offhand, is the main character's name Leeroy Jenkins?
The Player is really more incidental than a main character, but that is entirely the kind of joke I might make.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I won't keep bumping this but wanted to mention I've added a lot more material already and I think I've got a (mostly) weekly schedule down for regular-ish updates.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

I hardly ever check the forums unless I need to have you considered using the mailing option of the game? I have it on since ever and never got a single email lol
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

For any who may have tuned out during my late fall sabbatical or who haven't run across this post before, I've got about half a novel online at this point, and more than a month of biweekly posts in the queue. Recent entries include some of my favorites. Readers and discussion welcome.

Patojonas: I hear you, but I figure the in-game opt-in mechanism is for game-related things rather than other projects. Maybe Kinak's due for a "state of the Twilight" address, though.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'm getting toward the end of the story, at least as far as the blog is concerned. Once it's done I intend to polish the thing and attempt to publish. I'm in search of a few test readers willing to take a look at the revised version in exchange for a free copy and, since it's a fantasy novel that supports such things, maybe work in a reference or character name for early volunteers.

The draft is likely to be available somewhere between a few weeks and a month from now. Ideally volunteer readers would be able to finish it and send back comments within, say, a month's time.
Ryme
Site Admin

Re: Ryme's second novel - now published

Post by Ryme »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y77R186

I've just published a fantasy novel, "The Eight-Bit Bard":
The evil sorcerer Ssor Ssorensen must have attended the "freeze them with perpetual winter" school of villainy, because when he and his minions conquered the town of Noresha, the first thing he did (after taking a nice, hot bath) was encase the city in ice. Then he laid out a thirteen-dungeon obstacle course challenge, filled with mind-twisting riddles, fiendish traps, and a bevy of the most monstrous guardians a conqueror's shoestring budget can afford, because that's what the best of the bad guys do.

Strife inevitably brings resistance. A band of heroes led by Yorel the paladin, calling themselves the Phoenix Dragons, are the front runners to challenge the sorcerer and put an end to his menace.

This is not their story. This is the story of Endrew the bard, a fallen hero and humiliated former Phoenix Dragon, who has to team up with a pack of misfits just to make it through the week. His companions include an untrained rogue, an unusually sophisticated half-orc mage, a misplaced pixie, a dwarven monk full of unlikely theories, and a halfling warrior who wants more than anything just to be tough. Endrew and his unlikely crew set their sights on surpassing the champions and saving the city from evil, but before they can do that they must surmount their shortcomings just to survive. For a mismatched group that can't even settle on a party name, that may be a tall order indeed.
For gamers, particularly retro gamers, this one is heavy on references to classics like Bard's Tale, Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry, and many others from that generation. For those who don't do computer games but like fantasy, I've tried to make the story stand well enough without being distracted by inside jokes.

I'd also like to note this one is more family friendly than my previous novel, "Chicagoland". If it were a movie, it would be PG-13, tops.

It's currently only available in Kindle format from Amazon. If you don't have a Kindle, nearly any computer can get a Kindle reader for free. If you have Amazon Prime, you can also "borrow" the book for free any time you like, no purchase necessary.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Just in time for the Bard's Tale 4 Kickstarter!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I suppose I should get around to playing 2 and 3 then, shouldn't I?

But I'm gratified retro gaming seems to be a rising phenomenon. There seems to be a lot of interest. Hopefully this will strike a chord with some.
darkzumi

Post by darkzumi »

I wish I had the money to buy this. :(