Villains Location Switching Problem

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Satan

Villains Location Switching Problem

Post by Satan »

This really needs to be fixed. A turn lost to another place isn't so bad if you're not really looking to maximize the efficiency of your turns, and maybe you have a red-eye mind trick to use if it's a combat. But when the next turn is a villain in the place you wanted to be, and it sends you back to the A.R.F. and wastes one of your passes and you lose 4 precious minutes of a rare effect, it's getting in the way of gameplay. It's not logical and it's costing me >.>
Satan

Re: Villains Location Switching Problem

Post by Satan »

As a sidenote, it's possible to avoid losing the minutes if you select fail and enter a combat code so you can use a red-eye mind trick. None the less, this is aggravating.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Heaven forbid you... pay attention.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Satan

Post by Satan »

When you don't have alot of time to get a ton of turns run, you tend to use muscle memory for the clicking. Or do you not understand the mental interactions you go through when doing a familiar activity? The problem occurs just infrequently enough to be forgotten about, and just frequently enough to cause problems.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Heaven forbid you... pay attention.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Satan

Post by Satan »

Because you would do that when you were manually running all the turns because they weren't able to be run by script. :/ You certainly wouldn't be saying anything if it was anyone else talking about an unresolved bug that affects gameplay. Heaven forbid the game be fixed.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Satan wrote:Because you would do that when you were manually running all the turns because they weren't able to be run by script.
Spent the last two weeks running by hand, and every time I switched locations, I paid close attention to the first adventure before letting my mind run on autopilot. Honestly, it's one adventure that you need to pay attention to. And since you're already paying attention (since you're switching locations), I don't see why it's such a chore to look at the screen after clicking.

Heaven forbid you pay attention to one whole adventure.
You certainly wouldn't be saying anything if it was anyone else talking about an unresolved bug that affects gameplay. Heaven forbid the game be fixed.
It's cute that you think you're so important to me that I'd stalk you just so I could snark at you. I'd be saying this if anyone mentioned it. Again, it's one adventure that you need to pay attention to.
Satan

Post by Satan »

It happens to be part of a cycle that I had to be doing, so the cycle itself was in memory. Due to the numerous sources of effects for maximal xp gaining, it takes awhile to set it up, so there's a cycle which is time consuming to do but ultimately gets you more xp. The downside is the amount of location switching and maintaining effects at the optimal level and changing equipment at the right times. There's alot of things that have to be tracked in your head to make sure you don't make a mistake with the cycle itself, so yes, it's very easy to not pay complete attention to one whole adventure. I realized what would happen almost right after I clicked, but by then it's too late. And if you pay attention every time, you slow down the complicated cycle and risk forgetting other things.

Regardless of attention being paid to avoid it, it's a pain and I know I'm not the only one who's had problems with it. Unlike the multi-use chests thing, this isn't just a minor inconvenience and isn't IotM only. I'm pushing for it because it would just be left as it is if no one tries to say anything about it.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

While I agree this never made sense to me, and I rather have it "fixed", I also agree that once you have this set in your mind it is not so difficult to pay attention every time you change locations that you actually got to the new location.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Being one who's used to spending long periods of time in the same zone and never switching, it's easy to forget about this problem when the rare time comes that I'm not farming a single area for days on end.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I hear you on that last point, Sate. Ugh.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

It's not that hard to glance up at the picture of your current foe as you put in the number of turns you want the script to use. If it's a villain, complete the turn by hand and then start the script. Takes 5 seconds of your time, if that.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I will fix this sometime, possibly with retcon. I don't consider it much of a bug, just slightly unintuitive, because the "damage" is generally fairly limited. (Script users who don't change zones very often, seems to be the primary case, and if you don't change zones often this can't come up often, right?)

Villains CAN be turned off, which makes the whole issue go away.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I always considered it as a kind of ambush before you could actually leave the zone you were in. Those rascally villains never make it easy.
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

Cristiona wrote:
Satan wrote:Because you would do that when you were manually running all the turns because they weren't able to be run by script.
Spent the last two weeks running by hand, and every time I switched locations, I paid close attention to the first adventure before letting my mind run on autopilot. Honestly, it's one adventure that you need to pay attention to. And since you're already paying attention (since you're switching locations), I don't see why it's such a chore to look at the screen after clicking.

Heaven forbid you pay attention to one whole adventure.
You certainly wouldn't be saying anything if it was anyone else talking about an unresolved bug that affects gameplay. Heaven forbid the game be fixed.
It's cute that you think you're so important to me that I'd stalk you just so I could snark at you. I'd be saying this if anyone mentioned it. Again, it's one adventure that you need to pay attention to.
Something's telling us all to start paying attention a bit more...
...Hmmm.
:? :P :?
When you do the best you can it's called a try!
If you don't you need to ask yourself why?
Just give it a thought,
And failure is worth naught.
And then like an eagle you shall fly!