Taming

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Muhandes

Taming

Post by Muhandes »

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or just something that needs clarification.
I tested (well, mostly Doctor Mojo data with my observation and his, thanks Doc!) which foes can be tamed and which cannot. In general it works well, that is foes which are "animals" can be tamed and foes which are not cannot. It roughly divides all foes between three groups, roughly "humanoid", "robotic" (machine), "animal".

There are some games which also have "monster", but I'm not sure if this applies. It seems like foes in the Triassic Park and Bestiary are considered animals and can be tamed. catoblepas, coelophysis, dimetrodon, estemmenosuchus, gryphon, upgraded no-frills lizard, and peteinosaurus can all be tamed. However femticore, flock of harpies and sphinx cannot be tamed. At first I thought this doesn't make sense and then I realized: all of these three are part human.

This are the ones that still puzzle me:
* thick slug - a slug is an animal as far as I recall. Does it have a too simplistic mind to be tamed? Ants can be tamed.
* distempered catfish - seems like a fish.
* cat burglar - this one is a little confusing. The text talks about claws and hissing, but I might just have missed the joke. If I did, ignore this one.
Cristiona

Re: Taming

Post by Cristiona »

Muhandes wrote:* cat burglar - this one is a little confusing. The text talks about claws and hissing, but I might just have missed the joke. If I did, ignore this one.
I believe that's a visual joke as a cat burglar is also a second story artist...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Satan

Post by Satan »

* thick slug - a slug is an animal as far as I recall. Does it have a too simplistic mind to be tamed? Ants can be tamed.

Slick thug is what it actually is. So that makes sense.

* distempered catfish - seems like a fish.

This is probably the only legitimate one that should probably be able to be tamed.

* cat burglar - this one is a little confusing. The text talks about claws and hissing, but I might just have missed the joke. If I did, ignore this one.

I also figured it was just a burglar who acted like a cat, but was still a human.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Satan wrote:* thick slug - a slug is an animal as far as I recall. Does it have a too simplistic mind to be tamed? Ants can be tamed.

Slick thug is what it actually is. So that makes sense.
I can buy that. The sandals description says "these skeptic sandals will give anyone who wears them the ability to intensely scrutinize any situation and find the truth that lies behind it" and the truth that lies behind the thick slug is a slick thug.

It would actually be nice to have the opposite. Say a darking bog which can be tamed because in truth it is a barking dog. I'm sure you can come up with a better example.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

The others are spot-on with the slug/thug. I do like the suggestion that at least one foe would work the opposite way.

Cat burglar? Yeah, that's a real person. I just played up the "cat" part for jokes. You'll notice that the claws he or she drops (will check on the gender; I suspect it changed at one point and I missed a line) are "metaphoric" anyway.

I think the reason the catfish can't be tamed is the distemper. It's in such a foul mood (or it's got such a bad disease--take your pick on which half of the pun is real) that it won't put up with taming. Sort of like if I had a rabid dog in here I wouldn't let it be tamed.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

All settled then, thanks for the clarifications.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Regarding thick slug.

If un-de-spoonerised foes are actually their respective de-spoonerised equivalent, shouldn't bold cat be cold resistant like cold bat is?
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Muhandes wrote:Regarding thick slug.

If un-de-spoonerised foes are actually their respective de-spoonerised equivalent, shouldn't bold cat be cold resistant like cold bat is?
My brain just exploded with semantics-overload.