Ranged Damage Bug?

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Satan

Ranged Damage Bug?

Post by Satan »

'You attack ... You hit the foe! You hit 8 times for 24 +8 damage.'

'You attack ... You hit the foe! You hit 9 times for 139 + 8 damage.'

The first one is with short bow of the stick, 42 power weapon, against a cube enemy. The second is with the giga guy cannon, 110 power weapon for me, against the same cube enemy (the king). Unfortunately my memory is not what it used to be, but as I recall... I used the short bow of the stick for a /long/ time before that and did way more damage... In any case, regardless of it being 42 power, 24 damage for 8 hits seems /ridiculously/ low. It took me awhile to realize that the damage I'm doing with the giga guy cannon right now was close to what I /remembered/ doing with the short bow of the stick. I might be wrong... I'll remove it, log out, log back in, put it back on, then test again.

EDITED to show it was /24/ damage, not 28. That's even worse!

RE-EDIT: Nope, averaging 27 damage... Maybe I'm crazy, 3-4 damage per hit just seems low for a level 82 character with all base stats over 2000 against a level 9/10 enemy in the cube >.>
Satan

Re: Ranged Damage Bug?

Post by Satan »

BUMPing with new data.

[Normal] Cristiona: "Moria: You hit 6 times for 1047 +2 damage. (~174/hit)"

[Normal] Satan: You hit the foe! You hit 5 times for 206 +8 damage. (EDIT: this is also in Moira)

We're both using the gigaguy cannon. I have even better equipment on than she does in most cases. She obviously has a higher level (46 levels above me), but I thought levels didn't play into that damage calculation. I did 36 damage on one hit at level 84, so that's kind of a slow curve if it /is/ based on levels. I'm pretty sure it's not based on stats either, but my stats are kinda high as well. Explain?
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

You didn't say if you were in Moira or not.

If you weren't, this was already mentioned in some other thread: the scaling monsters in moira are special. I suppose they have lower defense rating so they take more damage.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Sorry, didn't say that, but yes, that's in Moira.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Bah. I can't tell anytihing from two examples from two creatures. There's a wide range of variance in defense rating, damage dealt per hit, and stuff like that. Two data points do not make statistics.
Satan

Post by Satan »

I can get more. That's my average damage per hit for /all/ the monsters there. My damage per hit is way less for the cube creatures :/ Cris said she's one hitting all of them, getting 3000 damage on crit hits, so I'm assuming her damage there is about constant. I'll confirm that later :/

EDIT: The only differences in our equipment were that she's wearing the discount pants and I'm wearing Amazing Technicolor, she's using the shoehorn and I'm using Wolley's Index. Our Talisman is different, obviously- she has the icicle pendant, I have bulwark (yes, it does have -15% offensive rating, but I don't see how -15% causes me to do 1/5 the damage Cris does :/ ). I didn't have any bad buffs on, and I had just the 4 auras, biofeedback, fireshield, and airshield, and I don't think any of them affect the damage you do either way. Granted, I don't know what Cris's buffs/effects were, and the gadgeteer's skills might have something to do with it... Ah, advanced martial arts passive skill causes offense to scale with level :/ Meh. Maybe that accounts for it, though I'd assume there'd be some kind of cap :/ If ranged damage doesn't increase based on anything another than offense, but her offense is increasing based on her level. I suppose 130*whatever + 110 might account for the 5x damage. That seems kinda unbalanced if gadgeteers can keep increasing their ranged damage continually when no one else can by any other means (besides the 15% tali and the occasional static + offensive, but those still only get you a fixed offense :/) >.>

RE-EDIT: Also what does advanced martial arts have to do with wielding a ranged weapon :p
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Let me get this straight...

Mr. Uncapped Spell is complaining that Advanced Martial Arts doesn't cap? :P

Gatdgeteers are the only class without an uncapped spell (or spell-like) ability. We're one of two classes without an auto-hit (capped or otherwise). I'd say it's perfectly fair. Also, remember that the mine monsters cap their level. I use a Fighting Club in the Delta.

Edit:
Satan wrote:RE-EDIT: Also what does advanced martial arts have to do with wielding a ranged weapon :p
Dude... Gun Katas. Gadgeteers are Grammaton Clerics!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Satan

Post by Satan »

Cristiona wrote:Let me get this straight...

Mr. Uncapped Spell is complaining that Advanced Martial Arts doesn't cap? :P

Gatdgeteers are the only class without an uncapped spell (or spell-like) ability. We're one of two classes without an auto-hit (capped or otherwise). I'd say it's perfectly fair. Also, remember that the mine monsters cap their level. I use a Fighting Club in the Delta.

Edit:
Satan wrote:RE-EDIT: Also what does advanced martial arts have to do with wielding a ranged weapon :p
Dude... Gun Katas. Gadgeteers are Grammaton Clerics!
My uncapped spell damage does way less than your ranged :/ Granted, that might not be true once I get to your level, but you still can't crit with a spell :p
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

But spells never miss. Nor fumble (not that I fumble anyway...)
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Cristiona wrote:Dude... Gun Katas. Gadgeteers are Grammaton Clerics!

... heh, I think I'm one of 4 people that saw that the only week it was in theaters.
==
insert clever .sig file here
==
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

malk-a-mite wrote:... heh, I think I'm one of 4 people that saw that the only week it was in theaters.
Probably. I did watch it on DVD after it came out. It wasn't COMPLETELY boring. Fight scenes were pretty interesting, actually.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"