I can't log in! Help!

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sanjuro

I can't log in! Help!

Post by Sanjuro »

Earlier today, when I tried to log in to the game, my internet connection died on me.

Later, when I tried again, it seemed to be stuck on "http://www.twilightheroes.com/verify.php"

I can't log in to make a bug report either. :(
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
zillow

Re: I can't log in! Help!

Post by zillow »

try twilightheroes.com without the www
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Did zillow's thing help? If not, completely close the browser?

There's a contact form on the front of the site, so you don't have to log in to submit bug reports or contact me.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I have this happen a few times a month. The game seems to lock up when it's trying to load something, so after a minute or so I close the browser and when I bring it up it won't let me log back on. I can log in fine with another browser, though, and then Firefox usually lets me in after 10 or 15 minutes again.
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Ok, I can log in now.

By the way, I already tried closing the window and using another browser (I've been messing around with Chrome). I repeated that process several times with no luck.

I was finally able to log back in today, without doing anything unusual.
/em shrugs
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

If it happens again, and gets stuck on verify.php, try going to http://www.twilightheroes.com/index2.php
It might be something wrong with how your computer is handling javascript, which is what redirects here.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

This keeps happening to me, every day or two in the past two (or three?) weeks. I can get to login page. Using twilightheroes.com (without www) just logged me in and instantly back out (to www....) now (previous attempt showed chat frame and got stuck loading something). On www, after submitting password, firefox is stuck at "connecting" and "waiting for www.twilightheroes.com" and firebug doesn't show any net activity.
And to make it "better", when trying to post this reply, the forums logged me out and then told me that I had exceeded the maximum allowed amount of logins today (on my first forums login) and had to enter CAPTCHA too.

Next attempt, th.com (without www) got me in completely. Then I logged out, tried logging in (that seemed to end up getting me back to login page without any error) and then was able to log in on www properly again.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

That's a whole mess of errors. I can't speak to the forums (neither I nor Ryme's code, obviously), but the rest of it sounds a lot like cookies aren't being handled properly.

I've tightened things up a bit on our side and fixed at least part of it. You may have to clear out your cookies but, other than that, if it's still giving you any problems, let me know.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Seems your fix killed http://twilightheroes.com
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:Seems your fix killed http://twilightheroes.com
Yes and no. It should kick you over to www.twilightheroes.com

If not... I guess I'll have to figure something out.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Well, yes, it does that. Many of us used no-www to log in to side accounts while on a main account in the same browser.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Kinak wrote:That's a whole mess of errors. I can't speak to the forums (neither I nor Ryme's code, obviously), but the rest of it sounds a lot like cookies aren't being handled properly.

I've tightened things up a bit on our side and fixed at least part of it. You may have to clear out your cookies but, other than that, if it's still giving you any problems, let me know.

Cheers!
Kinak
Yes, I eventually ended up cleaning cookies and that seemed to help (as in, I was'n able to log in immediately before, and was able to log in immediately after).
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

xKiv wrote:Yes, I eventually ended up cleaning cookies and that seemed to help (as in, I was'n able to log in immediately before, and was able to log in immediately after).
Lovely :)
Cristiona wrote:Well, yes, it does that. Many of us used no-www to log in to side accounts while on a main account in the same browser.
Ugh. I mean, I can change it back, but technology-wise, that's just going to cause problems periodically and there's not much else I can do about it.

As a rule, running two browsers with separate sessions (both on www) would cause less problems.

But, if people have their hearts set on it, I can change it back. There just isn't much I can do if folks' browsers decide to latch onto one session or the other.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Well, the advantage of being able to run two sessions in Firefox is using the autoadventure script and it keeps me from having to put up with IE's endless clicking noises.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Kinak wrote:I can change it back
yes please! :P
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Cristiona wrote:Well, the advantage of being able to run two sessions in Firefox is using the autoadventure script and it keeps me from having to put up with IE's endless clicking noises.
You can run "firefox -no-remote -ProfileManager", create a new profile (and possibly copy everything from your old profile to the new one, when neither is running, so that you have all your addons and scripts on both), then use that to run two separate firefoxes, each with its own cookies and everything. You won't get them in two tabs in the same window, though.

Cookies make certain things easier (like gm scripts that add links without having to scrape for session id to put in urls), and other things nightmare.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Cristiona wrote:IE's endless clicking noises.
First thing I always disable when I set up a computer.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:Well, the advantage of being able to run two sessions in Firefox is using the autoadventure script and it keeps me from having to put up with IE's endless clicking noises.
Patojonas wrote:yes please! :P
I don't suppose I could convince the two of you to try the newest (Beta) version of Multifox?

I'm not sure if it'll disrupt the delicate ecosystem of plug-ins you already use but, well, using a beta plug-in is less scary to me than trusting browsers to ignore twilightheroes.com cookies on http://www.twilightheroes.com.

On the bright side, it works fine for me (on a crazy Ubuntu netbook, none the less) and allows more than two logins.
xKiv wrote:Cookies make certain things easier (like gm scripts that add links without having to scrape for session id to put in urls), and other things nightmare.
Truer words rarely spoken.

Sessions are basically the dark magic of PHP, calling on ancient unspeakable forces. I mean, it works and it works well, but you just hope you don't draw their attention <_< >_>
Harry Dresden wrote:First thing I always disable when I set up a computer.
Clickity clickity clickity.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Kinak wrote:I'm not sure if it'll disrupt the delicate ecosystem of plug-ins you already use but, well, using a beta plug-in is less scary to me than trusting browsers to ignore twilightheroes.com cookies on http://www.twilightheroes.com.
Actually, it breaks running chat in the sidebar, which I do so I can watch chat regardless of which tab I'm in. Guess I'm stuck using other browsers.
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Cristiona wrote:
Kinak wrote:I'm not sure if it'll disrupt the delicate ecosystem of plug-ins you already use but, well, using a beta plug-in is less scary to me than trusting browsers to ignore twilightheroes.com cookies on http://www.twilightheroes.com.
Actually, it breaks running chat in the sidebar, which I do so I can watch chat regardless of which tab I'm in. Guess I'm stuck using other browsers.
... or different firefox profiles, like I already suggested ...
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Bug keeps happening (deleting cookie lets me re-login). It's especially funny when it happens when I use horn of Zion, resulting in loss of item and no fight. (it also happens other times, like going to skills or inventory or ...).
(Not sure if it takes away time too, but I think it doesn't)
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I have it happen once or twice a month, usually when trying to get into Inventory or Wear Things. I just have to close the tab, wait about 5 minutes, and bring it back up to log in and get moving again. Deleting cookies would probably work, I just never think to do it.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

xKiv wrote:It's especially funny when it happens when I use horn of Zion, resulting in loss of item and no fight.
Yeah, the horn of Zion is spread across several pages, each of which checks for a valid session. I recoded that this morning so, even if the connection drops in the middle, you should have either the horn or a fight waiting for you when you get back.

Cheers!
Kinak