Twilight Heroes needs cheap/free/good marketing ideas!

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Ryme, would you sue me if I made a bunch of MMO characters named "PLAY TWILIGHT HEROES!!!!"?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I wouldn't sue you, no. However, I don't think that's a good kind of advertising, and thus I would discourage it. It's far more likely to annoy people than to make them intrigued, and if they come here it's going to be to complain or call me or the game or the players jerks, mostly.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Well I was kind of kidding, but I suppose I'll make sure not to do that.

In slightly related news, I updated the Twilight Heroes thread in the KoL forums. You guys really should post your support there if you haven't already, it's a great way to gain publicity with a big group people who we all know enjoy the genre. The thread has 2,000 views or so and 60 posts already.
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Ive made a TH page on wiki, but the Mods always deleted it for copyright infringment, even if all i right is 'Twilight heroes is a free to play browser game'.

Ive tried, but sorry i cant be of any actual help.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Honestly, until I've been around for half a year and half thirty thousand more players, it's probably going to get deleted constantly until someone becomes convinced TH is "important" enough to be listed. I think this is a case where spamming them at this point is only likely to make them upset. Rather than spend a lot of time ticking them off, I think our efforts should be focused elsewhere.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Yes, at the moment we should be focused on ticking off the player base, then move on to other people across the internet.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

*volunteers someone else to make a TH flier*
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Seriously, this topic needs to be thought about. Ryme, I heard 3 sent you some fliers, anything going on with that?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

What ever happened to those? Did they get posted anywhere? I've never heard anyone claim they came to the game because of the posters, and I wanted to see if they were effective before spreading them around.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

I never actually got a copy of the final version I believe. I think 3 had sent them to you so you could post them up somewhere. So I don't think anyone has posted any yet.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Oh, gosh. Sorry. I thought he would have talked to some folks and posted a few somewhere. Haven't seen him in a while, though.

Here's the link:

http://www.the-three.net/documents/wanted_mick.pdf
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'm working on some banner ads. I've got a couple going.

I think the first is okay, but it doesn't quite get the humor across, and it also fails to mention the game is free to play, which I think will have a lot of appeal. Or that it's an RPG.

The second is better, in part because it mentions the free and the RPG. It's also a bit more humorous, though at least one person has suggested it may not be clear from the line that the pajamas are your starting equipment, and may lose something.

Any feedback is welcome.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Slight reorganization of the text. Funnier?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

One more. Took out the what are you waiting for, made the text a little bigger, easier to read, less clutter. Is that better, or does the call to action help?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

In-chat consensus was with #3, so I'm going to try that in a few places, see how it works. For accuracy of results, I request that current players of Twilight don't "test" the links or anything like that if you run across them.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Interesting old thread from KoL that was dug up. Simple posters with tear tags for people to post in likely places. I know The_3 did a poster for us. I don't know if that one ever saw any place on the real world. I wonder if something simpler, like the ones here, and with the functionality of tear sheets as done here, might be a good thing to try?

http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com:808 ... hp?t=84983
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Couldn't hurt.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

A couple of notes:

1) I've been exploring Project Wonderful, and after the first week it looks like it's going to be effective. Though she hasn't logged in for quite a while, (in Dumbledore voice) ten silver stars to Huffle--er, Rantinan for being the first to suggest it!

2) Twilight Heroes has been listed on Top Web Games. Anybody who feels so inclined is encouraged to register a vote for the game, so that people will know how good it is. http://www.topwebgames.com

3) I'd like to start working on some kind of physical Twilight paraphernalia. I'm thinking maybe a T-shirt or two, and perhaps doing it as a contest. Get the gears churning in your heads, and keep an eye out for a thread about it in a day or two.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sole legend: points taken. I did have that information on the What Is Twilight Heroes link, which is itself pretty prominent, but I've moved up the "free, browser-based" information on that page, as well as adding a line to the home page.

Also took the opportunity to add some randomized humorous taglines to the top of the page, and to do a little visual cleanup.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Heh. I suggested Top Web Games ages ago. Can I have some silver too? :P

Seriously though, if you really want to pimp it, you should be able to include a link that will take players directly to the captcha for TH.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

If top web games brings in a bunch of new players, I'll reward the recommendation, sure.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Eh. Referrals promote abuse.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, I've shot down referrals a couple of times in this thread alone. Just encourages creating tons of junk accounts, and then leads into the temptation of multi abuse, perhaps. Also, someone inevitably pulls annoying stunts to trick people into following their links, like misleading sig lines and such.

It would be nice, because I'd love to reward people who genuinely do spread word about the game, but it's not reliable to try to track.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Bump. Banners are still welcome, as are ideas for physical products and/or street team formations.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Unpaid? I don't think you'd be able to leave your job then. :P
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

For gleet justice!
Ryme wrote:2) Twilight Heroes has been listed on Top Web Games. Anybody who feels so inclined is encouraged to register a vote for the game, so that people will know how good it is. Top Web Games