Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

No offense, but your numbers are whack. Really whack. 10 mil for 1 stat. Sure, it's a chip sink, but still. That's pretty out of reach for any benefit.

Sorry, why do we need more chip sinks again? This is really really economically confusing.

What we need is something that everyone will want and will have fairly constant demand while supply is almost or is limited.

Brays and Scalpels are one such example, however, their price vs. gain cost are basically of interest to only collectors (aka Malk).
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

MagiNinjA wrote:Sorry, why do we need more chip sinks again? This is really really economically confusing.
Because the only silver star in the AH has been bid up to 350k?

When Malk, Corrupt, The3, and I were working to crash the star market, we got it down to ~70k, and that was higher than what we wanted. Frankly, chip sinks are easier than getting players to donate.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
the SUPERnaturalist

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

the numbers of course can be tweaked, and ideas could be made, i was just suggesting the general concept of the chipsink and it's POSSIBLE effects.
=D
Satan

Post by Satan »

Besides, people who donate need something to spend their chips on after they've gotten the mirror badge :p
the SUPERnaturalist

of course, and we also need places for people like satan.

new suggestion:
/IGNORE player function?

new suggestion again:
the chip bonfire: a completely obvious chipsink, give a merit badge for warming up the community after literally burning 10 million chips.
=D
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Chip sinks aren't going to really work. Especially when we already have SEVERAL in place. They're neat ideas, I won't deny that, but they aren't the solution right now, unless there's viable GAIN involved. Just remember, Ryme can manipulate the supply of products to be expensive yet infinite.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

What we need is a game-breaking-ly imbalanced Wok item.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I hope you're completely joking there. It wouldn't fix the chip problem anyways. It would make it worse.
Satan

Post by Satan »

What we need, are useful chipsinks. As Magi said. But not just a few. Tons and tons. >.>
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

What we need is a wealthy dowager duchess who happens to like video games to be my patron sponsor, and flood the market with silver stars.
the SUPERnaturalist

don't you have 100's of $ worth of items on kol?
=D
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Ryme doesn't need to sell anything. He could just make magical stars out of air.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

the SUPERnaturalist wrote:don't you have 100's of $ worth of items on kol?
Not sure how my KoL items, whatever the value, affect the rate of inflation in TH. My statement wasn't a plea for more money, but an explanation (jokingly) of one way that inflation could be combated. Increasing the supply of stars in the game would do that. Just as well or perhaps better than reducing the supply of chips. There's a third option, but I don't see the demand for stars decreasing.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

MagiNinjA wrote:Ryme doesn't need to sell anything. He could just make magical stars out of air.
I could, yes. But I think I have an obligation not to, because I'd be cheating donators out of the value of their donation. Say I doubled the number of stars in the game, and they become worth half their current price. Then anyone who's donated or invested in IotMs is only going to have half the value they used to.

And that's without going into why it's also bad for the business.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Outfits? Sounds like a pain to put in considering it's not in already, but is this remotely worth it? You could really put some significance on it, maybe.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

KoL has outfits wrapped up far too neatly. Plus it sounds like a coding nightmare. So I'm not likely to touch it, except for very rare circumstances--like checking to see if you can go underwater, which sometimes is kind of related to an outfit.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Really, if you're going with outfits at any time in the future, or if it's a possibility, maybe you should modulize it... Just have a function that checks for a single piece of equipment... Then later, you just combine different calls with and statements and voila, outfits! >.> I know it's a bit more complicated than that, but it helps to have it separated and it's useful by itself anyways.
the SUPERnaturalist

area with uber rare stuff that you have to pay chips to go in?

inside the prehistoric park, you see a small not oft used road. After going down it, you see a small shack with the words "huntin'!""funs!", with a bored looking scrawning guy manning it/
"so.......nice weather today eh?"
"gonna buy a ticket?"
"to what?"
"this."
"what's this?"
"what't this? WHAT'S THIS!?" he exclaimes hysterically
"this is THE only place in all of twilight where you can hunt dem 'xtra 'spesher beests! sorry, anyway, so basically my granpaw rounded up some funky smellin "varmints" and stored 'em here. feel free to take a shot at em, though i can't guarrantee nothin' that you won't not maybe find one sometime"
"how much?"
"weeeeeeeeeeeeell, i'm a bit low on chips, darn devil dice, how's 50 million chips sound to ya?"
"50 MILLION!?"
"fine, 500 thousand"
you begin to walk away.
"50 thousand!"
you walk further.
"5 thousand!"
you turn around, now actually contemplating the thought
<button: take a chance?>

mebee have all the same monsters as the triassic park, except 5% of the time you encounter a different dinosaur, which has a 5% chance of dropping some Amber, which when used has a 5% chance of giving you a cool new item?
=D
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

the SUPERnaturalist wrote:the chip bonfire: a completely obvious chipsink, give a merit badge for warming up the community after literally burning 10 million chips.
Your numbers are completely insane, and you really need to get off this 10 million figure kick.

Most people can't get anywhere near the bridge badge, and that "only" requires 2 million chips. I probably have one of the largest hordes of liquid chips, and I haven't even hit 8 million.

Big numbers are fun and all, and would sink huge amounts of wealth from the game, except that they'd be completely and utterly ignored. It's one thing for you to say that you accept the numbers are flexible, but when I see someone talk about a 10 million chip chipsink, I tend to tune out and skip to the next post.

And while I support chipsinks in general, it's far better to come up with something worthwhile to spend chips on. The gumball machine is an excellent example of this. A person is far more likely to toss 10k in and autosell (at a huge loss) all the green, blue, and pink gumballs then they are to save up 10 million to toss in a hole. The gumball machine will probably never sink 10 million chips, but neither will a 10 million chip bonfire.

Edit: The 5k special combat sounds like it's much more likely to be used. But only if the 5% of 5% of 5% chance of getting something worthwhile is worth the 5k entry fee, plus the opportunity cost of a lost turn, times the number of times you need to do this...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Yeah. That's what she said. You should just use general terms to state approximations, as Ryme can fill in the blanks for balance (a large amount of chips, etc).

An item that works on wireless, where wireless varies from place to place. Maybe a remotely controlled robot.
Satan

Post by Satan »

It'd be nice to have something like that. We have a few chipsinks in the game, but none that are permanent and immediately helpful. The minkseat thing is too much of a chance. The memento display pretty much consists of your 20k down, then I think 4*10k + 5*5*10k basically making the total cost (for now) 310k. You /could/ keep throwing in chips (I did :p) but it doesn't help you. I suppose we could actually use something like the statues of legend right now.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

No, something more useful would be better. Or make a part of that chain useful.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Voice wrote:I mean hell, the three statues of legend on KoL are just massive meatsinks and the only reward for that is a trophy, so I doubt many people pay them attention... but they are there.
The statues also give stats, and in the NS11 world, where offstats mattered for the top of the tower, the Hall of Legends could be a massive boon.
Ryme
Site Admin

Re: Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Post by Ryme »

There's three main issues there. One is by creating more of a limited item, I'm stealing value from every player who already invested in that item. Second is I'm stealing from myself. I'm giving away for mere chips (which I essentially give to the players for free, excepting their time) something that would have been worth $10 at one point and is arguably worth much more now. Third is I'd be breaking my promise not to re-relase said items, and my credibility basically goes out the window at that point for anything else I try to say.
the SUPERnaturalist

good point,
did the posts get rearranged?
btw if you're reading my literal chipsink, try replacing all numerical values in it with X. It's much more comfortable this way.
Also, what i said is that with 100k, you can get lucky and get bunchen of stuff, while IF someone throws in 10 mil, they COULD still get very little, though chances are that they'll get at least one nice thing

suggestion: raffle off silver stars and stuff. not iotm, not promise breaking. or raffle off a new item set, (it's not really ripping off of anything since, lets admit it, which game DOESNT have a uberitem set?), one at a time. give straightforward bonuses in the items and not percent based (ex: +25 strength: uberpowered, but at later levels not that big of a deal) OR give ALL small percentage based (+2% to EVERYTHING. doesn't break the game, since if ascension or anything else for that matter is implemented it'll hardly require a level where +2% of something makes a big difference.). True, players who own these will have slight stat bonuses compared to others, but IF such items are implemented, it's probably gonna suck more than enough chips out of the economy for it to be worth it. (i'm guessing cristiona type folks will spend millions on it, and even the poorer players will toss in quite a bit, all looking for a chance to get a piece of the new action. Itll also decrease silver star prices, since a lot of people will start looking for liquid chips.
If you have any issues about making an item that's better than any iotm, ignore them. :D
not that i mean it's not a problem, but a new uberitem being worth more than iotm's isn't a big deal. essentially, when players buy the iotm, they're buying unliquidated chips in a new item. if the item is worth more than an iotm, fine, then theyll just have to buy multiple iotms if they want a single uberitem.

<insert hero name, i myself was thinking about using the name Ryme,>'s contact lenses:(acessory)
"<hero name> was always liked by everyone, do to his insane wealth and influence. His special contact lenses gave him 1/20 vision. perfect vision is 20/20. babe ruth's vision was beyond perfect at around 9/20.

+X% item drops, 1 per 5 levels (currently capped at 35%)<-true, 35% is a lot, but noone's even close to level 150 yet
increases the effectiveness of reputation affecting choices

Mini-god voodoo doll: (offhand)
a voodoo doll of god, made by the superheroes of ancient times. try to imagine what it does, but don't bother, because you can't.

+2(%, if applicable) to everything. yes, everything, if you can comprehend that. (btw you don't actually havce to increase EVERYTHING. just items, stats, and damage or something.

Nothing (weapon)
the perfect weapon.

perpetual effect: "nothing is perfect." (description: you feel so.... nothing, but at the same time so perfect! you find yourself making up doing cartwheels, and other similarly awesome stuff. effect: allows special attacks? allows chance of stat bonus per battle?)

Shiny Shants
the ultimate combination between shorts and pants, they're also shiny! Forget what those infidels say about "ports", SHANTS are the way to go!

perpetual effect: smug ambiguity (description: everything goes one way or another, and you're satisfied with both. Either way, the best things happen to you when you don't need to make your own choices anymore! +greatly increased chance of noncombats, critical hits, dodge, accuracy,etc)

etc.
=D
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Yeah, some interesting ideas being tossed around.

What if you raffled off the talisman IotMs or silvers or an avatar, or all of the above? Massive chip sink (I know I probably would) as well as no broken-ness.

It worked for KoL with the grimacites and old IotMs from hacked accounts.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

MagiNinjA wrote:It worked for KoL with the grimacites and old IotMs from hacked accounts.
I see a very large difference between reselling items that were mostly paid for by donations originally, and making new items out of thin air.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

True. But it's a working chipsink.

And really, you could say the same for any item in the game, technically. Ultra rares especially.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

So is me cutting everyone's chip totals in half, but I don't see anyone advocating that.

You may think this is a ridiculous comparison at first, but my explicit promises to play it straight with items players donated for are at least as important as the implied belief that I won't mess with your accounts without good reason even though the game is still in "early beta."
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

How about items that aren't in existence yet? Like what they did with Grimacite.
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

hey, longtime member, first time poster. As far as chip sinks go, I think there's a pretty good system already in play, that could use a little tweaking. Rentals. No one rents from the chopper place because they can get a jetpack. no one rents from the scuba place because it's just terrible equipment unless you have to have it. What if there was really good equipment that could be rented? Or, if you could rent upgrades to your current equipment, like being able to increase the range of your transportation, damage on a weapon, or defense on armor?

On a different subject, I'd like to propose off-hand weapons. Nothing so fancy as putting any weapon into your offhand, but maybe weapons that are specifically off-hand items. Examples:

The Pairing Dagger - Offhand - power 16 (or whatever) adds to attack instead of defence. An odd combination of a parrying dagger and a pearing knife. This blade has the strange side-effect of occasionally duplicating drops. (Occasionally causes two of the same item to drop from a battle.)

The Civilian Sidehand - Offhand - power x adds to attack instead of defence. I would like to see it have an effect when used with the military sidearm, but it could be just a small damage bonus by itself.

Always open to criticism and suggestions. Thoughts and Ideas should be kept to yourself though, as I am prone to hoarding them...
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

What if the Sanatarium had another black market like store that sold pills? It'd draw some chips out for that (I DEFINITELY would).
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Ryme wrote:So is me cutting everyone's chip totals in half, but I don't see anyone advocating that.
I think you should cut everyone's chip totals in half... and then half again.
==
insert clever .sig file here
==
the SUPERnaturalist

but then the people who have large chips and small chips would have a completely unbalanced chip count compared to everyone else, unless you cut THOSE in half too.

OR you could charge people 1000 chips every time they enter the casino. i woulda lost like 100k just to that by now
=D
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

A casino fee? No. 1k? That's a lot for newbies. A LOT.