Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Both the farming game and the XP leadboards... *wink*
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Yeah, I'd just about kill for Keen Observation...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Satan

Post by Satan »

I disagree with the computer program. If you want an aura, transmogrify into a Psion. Otherwise, what's the point of having classes? The auras, biofeedback, and meditation are basically the only things unique to us, although there are other skills which can do some of the effects of auras.

Edit: Might as well add this. One, the computer program in no way can alter your mind. It's not advanced enough, and it's back in your hideout. Plus, how would it revert back if you just ran another program? It's not logical. Two, people can't know what auras you have on, if any, at this stage of the game. Three, it sounds fairly complicated to code, and may lead to people just whoring out their auras, which is not heroic :p
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

The Psion is probably the only class that can have most of the beneficial buffs. The other class self-buffs? I think only the Gadgeteer has remotely comparable buffs...

And who says computers can't "tap into your mind"? Ever heard of I-Doser?

I don't think your reasons in your edit are very strong for not going with this sort of idea. That and everyone else still whores out buffs. Join the club! :P
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

It's a positronic computer for gods sake (Actually, why not put that as a requirement too?).
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Alright, if you don't mind, I'm going to critique how balanced these skills are...don't take it personally, if I get brutish. :P

I took out the buff, cost and duration text because it was kinda big. Don't worry, I still looked at them.
Primal wrote:Ambush Predator
Some predators rely on getting the jump on their prey and then killing it in one strike, before it can run away. You've decided to use this hunting tactic to deal with your particular prey.

When used, it gives +1 * level to Initiative. If the character gains the initiative then their first attack is automatically a Critical Hit.
The only thing I see is that this is somewhat broken. Except for transmog'ers using this against higher level monsters.

Primal wrote:Lemur Leaping
This might not be the most studl way of running, but it sure does get you places quickly.

When used, it reduces the time for each adventure by 30 seconds.
Interesting way to incorporate lemurs (I see what you did thar!) but it's broken. You can regen more PP than it costs pretty easily.

Primal wrote:Man, The Thinking Animal

Passive

Once this skill is gained the character gets a bonus to all Experience gains.

(+10% to all experience gains)
Not bad. I think this is pretty well balanced, if you slap a high level requirement on it.
Primal wrote:Bacterial Resistance
Bacteria are some of the most adaptable creatures in the natural world. With this skill you gain the resistance of these creatures.

When used, it greatly increases the characters resistance to the elements.
(+50% to all elemental resistances)
+50%? Whoa. Maybe 25%. 50% is an insane amount.
Primal wrote:Apex Predator
Every ecosystem has a predator that rises above all others around it. You've discovered that the city and suburbs are their own peculiar type of ecosystem, and that you are its apex predator.

Passive

Once the skill is gained the character gets a huge bonus to their Strength, Reflexes, Hit points, and to the amount of damage inflicted by the characters melee attacks.

(+1% * Level to Strength)
(+1% * Level to Reflexes)
(+1% * Level to Hit points)
(+0.5 * Level to damage with melee weapons)
Oooh. Neat. I think this is decently balanced, but possibly broken at higher levels.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

MagiNinjA wrote:+50%? Whoa. Maybe 25%. 50% is an insane amount.
Indeed. I believe 50% is otherwise known as "max".
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Cristiona wrote:
MagiNinjA wrote:+50%? Whoa. Maybe 25%. 50% is an insane amount.
Indeed. I believe 50% is otherwise known as "max".
I didn't even know that. >.>

Maybe 10% or 15% then, in that case.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

For reference, "Upgrade Armor: Resistance" gives 15% to fire, ice, and electric; which, technically, requires two skills.
Last edited by Cristiona on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

So...you suggested an item that would make Ryme's content complete faster? I'm not so sure that he or many players, even, would want that.

PFE, the whole clan, collaborating with Satan, took OVER a full day to find the jetpack. It was hard. I wouldn't put off that kind of content so easily. The only reason that it didn't take longer was because we worked at that thing for quite a huge part of a Sunday afternoon (for most of us). :)

And how do you exactly know the UR mechanics? I'm pretty sure they don't work like that. No one but the evil genius would know.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Kirbytheslayer wrote:An Ultra-Rare has a limited number allowed out in the world at any one time.
I doubt it. It's not like the game says, "There's 15 Ebon Eyes out there; Kraken disabled."
Think about the jetpack. People like Satan and such got it all the first day anyways. This allows them to just find the items faster.
Second day. Ryme forgot to push the tacky grip the first day.

As for the item, the level requirement would make it rather poor for spading.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Yeah, it did take to the second day, but we probably would've gotten it done much sooner on the first day if the grip had been dropping. But who knows?
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Kirbytheslayer wrote:1. Why must they have been lying? Clearly somebody must know,or Jick is such an incredible coder that he can code in features without knowing how they work. And three may keep a secret, assuming three of them are dead, and every trace of them is wiped out of existence. And even then it's not guaranteed.

2. It may have been a stupid leap, but here was my guess- Jick gave Ryme code advice. That's an undeniable fact. If I was learning how to code a MMO game, what I'd want to know how to do is keep it balanced. Hence, I would ask an experienced Dev for help on potentially unbalancing items, such as Ultra-Rares.
Regardless, they're Ultra-rare.
They're still going to be uncommon.
1. Why does somebody have to know? And since when is Jick not suspect to putting in features without remembering what they did? He does that quite often. :)

The current theory isn't even close to what you think it is.

2. And um, no, I think you're severely wrong here. Jick may have given pointers but I'm pretty damn sure that I remember that Ryme doesn't borrow code from Jick. So whatever you're saying about TH and KoL being similar in code? Wrong. Ryme is far smarter than duplicating the mechanics of another game. He's much more evil.

And none of the KoL dev team know the UR mechanics also...
Kirbytheslayer wrote:Regardless, they're Ultra-rare.
They're still going to be uncommon.
...What?
Kirbytheslayer wrote:And @ the other guy:

There are 12 badges in TH, currently. One of them is impossible to earn now. Of those 12 badges, 25% of them are for farming or buying items off the AH, one of them is for taking a nap.

Why couldn't there be one for stars?
I'm pretty sure Ryme doesn't want donation items directly influencing badges. But I can't speak for him.

In any case, I think we should be done with the farming/buying/eating x type badges. They're not all that fun. Badges unlocked with actually doing something challenging (sorta like Heroic Recycler) really define what a merit badge really is, IMO.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

What is the point of pointless merit badges? These are merit badges we are talking about. They should be arduous to achieve. They show distinction. At least the diamondy ones. Chipsink ones are just stupid.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

a) Jick would never have told Ryme the UR drop mechanics. Ever.
b) Although Jick has given Ryme pointers, they have mostly been about fixing security holes.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

giant = funny. Name changed. Not sure the army ant added much to the humor, so left that out.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

If there's already a hat with the new stuff, disregard this.
If not, "Robo Cap" (it's from Boston)
Or I'm sure something along the lines of a thinking cap would work if you go with the 'smart' naming scheme.
I just feel a hat is missing from the set.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Oh. G.I. :oops: I just thought it was a gi-ant, and "gi" was just some random word meaning "big". That's not bad, really.