Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Re: Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Post by Ryme »

Of course personalization also = 'a thousand-hour nightmare for Ryme trying to make it work'

Personalization also means 'the more options you put in, the smaller fraction any one person actually gets to enjoy' -- part of the reason there aren't that many class-specific items yet.

It sounds cool. As a player I'd like the options, I can see that. Figuring out how to put lots of different options in, make them all fun, interesting, and balanced? Much easier said than done.
Hes actually not that big of a comics fan. :? All I heard back was a "it would be nice" kind of reply.
Reading comics isn't really related to that; It *would* be nice. Actually doing it isn't something I can promise any time soon.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

It's alot of work, yeah, but I think it's worth it if it gives that much more connection to the player. And it doesn't necessarily have to be skills (seems like your first idea was for items?).
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Perhaps, but I don't fully understand what's even being asked for. It's like there's half of a proposal here. What's being requested by "splitting"? Starting as an Elemental and then branching to only using fire or ice? Works well for Elementals, but not so much with the other classes. And how much customization is enough? Four subtypes per class? Essentially creating 16 classes? Or will you be able to bounce around every level between all 16, essentially creating 256 classes?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

MagiNinjA wrote:It's alot of work, yeah, but I think it's worth it if it gives that much more connection to the player. And it doesn't necessarily have to be skills (seems like your first idea was for items?).
Didn't say it wasn't worth it. As long as you don't mind there being a big "eventually" at the end.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

They also have a multi-million dollar budget and a huge team of programmers....
Satan

Post by Satan »

... new skills and customization = game mechanics.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Ideas are generally free.

Graphics, AI and sound, etc., are not.

Just because a multi-million dollar game did it, doesn't mean that it's out of reach for TH. Indies do it.
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

kaiijy wrote: Tecnovirus: Psion loses 5%HP per turn. +50% spell damage (Aura; costs PP)
At least the name mkes me think about gadgeteers

and some of those look waaaaay to powerful...
Top 10 on the Total Post list
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

kaiijy wrote:Can you please be more specific?
Why should I do that? Cris is much more capable to do that than me
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Cris was also more snarky than she needed to be.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

I thought she was quite specific.. as the writter demanded...
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Well, I'll address one thing here:
Most of them must be more powerful than actual skills because they're stuff for high levels (50~100 i don't know how Ryme would deal with this issue). But, ofc, shouldn't be THAT powerful
Level 50 requires 1.2 million XP while level 100 requires roughly 20million XP. Also, there are only roughly 10-15 players total who have reached level 100. And, the scope of the retcon game will be the levels 1-11, which makes class paths for 50+ less than necessary.

Also, we have plans in the work for finishing the skill gaps and tweaking as necessary. While multiple paths may be neat, I don't know if they'll necessarily improve things so much as change things. KoL has gotten pretty far with only 6 classes. I'm concerned this will add complexity as opposed to improving things. Keep in mind new players, too.
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

Right off, let me say I apologize if anyone gets offended by this post, but truth is more important than just sitting back, saying nothing.
I have to chime in for a moment here and say in MY humble opinion comparing TH to KoL is strange. I've played a little of KoL and I do mean a little.
Sure there might be some interesting stuff later on in KoL, but the ONLY comparison that's worth mentioning (as any basic user would see, not one that's "in the know" of behind the scenes info) is it's browser based and rather simple. Oh and maybe that you don't know what to expect next.
TH has FAR more intrigue and "enjoyment factors" than KoL. Period. Just my two cents, which is worth more than 100 meat!
I haven't been back to KoL in days, and my silly little Level 4 Starch Savant can just sit there and wait for me...
**smirks**
...I've got bigger fish to fry!
8) :| :roll: :| :lol:
When you do the best you can it's called a try!
If you don't you need to ask yourself why?
Just give it a thought,
And failure is worth naught.
And then like an eagle you shall fly!
Satan

Post by Satan »

The appeal of KoL lies in ascension. Once you beat the game, you play it over with new content/variations in gameplay. That's what TH portends to do. Also, KoL has a lot more to it than you realize- years and years of work, tons more skills, items, sidequests, etc.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

To say that the attraction of KoL is any one element is wrong and horribly incorrect. It changes from person to person AND it changes even just for one person (hello, living proof here).

That's something KoL is okay at.
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

you will notice that when Cristiona stops playing it
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Blink wrote:I just hope TH doesnt become known as "that game thats like KoL".
Funny. My initial primary reason for creating TH was to BE "that game that's like KoL."

Of course since then I've gone through phases where I've thought, "how can I differentiate myself from KoL?"

And later, "how can I just do whatever ought to be fun for me and players?" without any consideration of whether or not KoL resembles or disresembles the idea.

I like to think that's a sign of the game maturing.
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

Blink wrote:I just hope TH doesn't become known as "that game thats like KoL".
I doubt that will ever happen, from what I have seen. In fact it's more likely that TH will be known as the game similar to KoL. (Again, my own opinion.)
Ok, so KoL has been around a while, and it appeals to different people, and obviously has a good following. All this is granted, and I mean not to take this away from it.
I guess I just expect more than "simplicity" in a game, even if it IS complex as you say, there really wasn't anything grabbing me and saying, "Hey Al, you like this!" or "Al! Check this out!"
Similarities between the two (TH and KoL) are easy to spot, but the BIG differences are in the start of a char for me. KoL got dull FAST, whereas TH had me, from the start, by the proverbial "sack" and wouldn't let go!
Maybe I expect too much? Could be. Should I keep playing in hopes something might change my mind? Doubtful. (I tried okra several ways, thinking I might like it this way or maybe that, but I got tired of trying and just stopped eating it since I didn't like it's taste any way I had it...)
But like I said, it's just my opinion...
**hangs head**
...So you guys like it, and that's all that matters really. I'll just be happy with what I like.
TH FTW!
:? :( :?
Just give it a thought,
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

About females and gaming
Worth a look-see...
...Topic related to the last post about females within the game!
8)
Just give it a thought,
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Blink wrote:Can there be a way to toggle all our messages into the delete? Ive kept all my messages and Ive got some from all the way back from when I first joined.
Just click the checkmarks. It's really not that hard. I delete dozens every week. If you get tired halfway through ... save the other half for later when your stamina's back up.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Maybe it's simply because I don't have the luxury of deleting all, because I've always got to keep notes around, or because I fear the bug reports every time someone accidentally selects all instead of individual messages, but I'm just not sold on this. The size of the game doesn't change any one person's ability to make a couple of quick clicks now and then.

I'll probably get talked into it one of these days, but in the meantime, if you want a clean room, you've got to clean your room yourself. I'm not going to invent a magic room-cleaning device for you right now.
Satan

Post by Satan »

But Rymeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... :p