Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Re: Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Post by Ryme »

I can't think of a good way for it to track multiples without hours of recoding.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

The narrative supports one by one use. It's a machine. You put one item inside. It works on it until it's done. You put another.
Satan

Post by Satan »

So clearly, you should be able to add compartments to catalyze another item separate from the first compartment >.>
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Requires too much power. The drain would overload the local power station and cause city-wide brownouts.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Satan

Post by Satan »

Nuh uh :/
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

ObliviousXI wrote:Only if your hero doesn't build an independent power source that can handle it. ^_^
That would be awesome. More building stuff for gadgeteers (like the positronic computer) or bonuses when using gadgets already in the game (like the jetpack) would be really cool.

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I'd have happily farmed up a bunch of components to get my catalyzer working or upgrade it to take cool new stuff. It just feels so... gadgety.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Holy crap @ the coding and storage for that idea.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Corrupt Shadow wrote:Holy crap @ the coding and storage for that idea.
Really? I might be missing something, but gender, name, and class sounds doable. It's almost exactly what you give your understudy, now that I think about it.

They'd probably just scale to your level (all good villains do). If you started adding stuff in like them gaining specific enhancements from Mick or gaining special powers based on what you do, that could get pretty complicated.

Random thought on implementing it: you could go into the police station, see a wanted poster, and be like "Oh my god! That's the dark shape that mugged me in the alley!" then fill in the details there.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

The Pharmacist wrote:They'd probably just scale to your level (all good villains do). If you started adding stuff in like them gaining specific enhancements from Mick or gaining special powers based on what you do, that could get pretty complicated.
Hm

"Welcome to the game! Please enter your name! Pick a class! Gender! Now pick the name of your nemesis! Your nemesis's class! Gender!"

I think that would be more than a little confusing to a brand new player. If you want to tie the mugger in with the Mick, that can be done now. And I wouldn't much care for a random scaling monster jumping out of nowhere at random intervals for random reasons.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:"Welcome to the game! Please enter your name! Pick a class! Gender! Now pick the name of your nemesis! Your nemesis's class! Gender!"

I think that would be more than a little confusing to a brand new player. If you want to tie the mugger in with the Mick, that can be done now. And I wouldn't much care for a random scaling monster jumping out of nowhere at random intervals for random reasons.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That's why I suggested having it be at the police station, so you don't have it all blaring at you right at the beginning. I actually rather like the opening pacing, with the little narrative, wouldn't want to mess that up.

Maybe the police station is even too soon. It's been a while and I'm kind of hazy on my early game.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Well... personally, I view the Mick as being something like the Kingpin*. I see him as your stereotypical Big Boss who is so far in the background that you have precious little direct interaction with him until the final showdown. Since our nemesis is this shadowy, distant figure, any super villains that we'll fight are going to be more cannon fodder than recurring villains.

What I kinda wish me had were more mundane problems, at least at low levels. I quite like the Galleria quest, because it's what a new superhero should be doing: cleaning up her neighborhood.

*Note: I have no inside information about the Mick. Ryme's a big meanie head and won't tell me.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Blink wrote:
Corrupt Shadow wrote:Holy crap @ the coding and storage for that idea.
The way I see it, it's just a lot of copy and paste.

It can always be simplified by just giving the villain a specific name and gender and class instead of us choosing.
No offense, but this is a very simplified and incorrect understanding of how this works.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:Well... personally, I view the Mick as being something like the Kingpin*. I see him as your stereotypical Big Boss who is so far in the background that you have precious little direct interaction with him until the final showdown. Since our nemesis is this shadowy, distant figure, any super villains that we'll fight are going to be more cannon fodder than recurring villains.
I see him about the same way. Always in the background, but never really showing his face.

I think that kind of encourages a lesser recurring villain/lieutenant, though. With Mick being so distant, it leaves a gap between him, the one-time bosses, and the daily minions. I mean, Daredevil is always going after the Kingpin at some level (or was when I followed Daredevil), but that was usually played out through Bullseye or other assassins.
Cristiona wrote:What I kinda wish me had were more mundane problems, at least at low levels. I quite like the Galleria quest, because it's what a new superhero should be doing: cleaning up her neighborhood.
That would be pretty darn cool. Another simple newbie quest or two in the neighborhood would make me feel a lot more invested in it. Even little stuff like fixing broken cars/generators as a Gadgeteer or taming packs of feral animals as a Naturalist would be pretty cool.
Cristiona wrote:*Note: I have no inside information about the Mick. Ryme's a big meanie head and won't tell me.
Meanie.

I suppose at least he doesn't change the answer every few days :) "Wait, I just finished this content and Mick is a talking space shark now? With X-Ray Teeth? What does that even mean?"

Edit: By the way, this is Kinak from Metroplexity. I forgot my username is different here. Hello!
Last edited by Kinak on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

The Pharmacist wrote:Even little stuff like fixing broken cars/generators as a Gadgeteer or taming packs of feral animals as a Naturalist would be pretty cool.
This is a fabulous idea...
Satan

Post by Satan »

But then what does the poor psion get to do >.>
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Satan wrote:But then what does the poor psion get to do >.>
Uhhh, journey into someone's mind to help solve their deep-seated personal issues and/or fear of clowns?

That's all I've got that doesn't sound creepy and totalitarian. Psions are hard :o
Satan

Post by Satan »

Can we get a mini-game of epic proportions akin to Psychonauts for exploring people's minds as a psion? :p
Satan

Post by Satan »

It requires a few more spots in the database and a good bit of code renovation. It'd take a bit of work, but it's not impossible. It just doesn't seem necessary, though, since the quests should essentially achieve that.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

The right hand evil of The Mick.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Blink wrote:What do you call the monsters in the Fiendish Pit area then? Its basically the same concept.
That is not the same concept. Again, sorry, but that's an incorrect understanding.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Saving input from players always takes a lot more work than me just putting a couple of lines in a file. For one thing, I have to accept the input. Then I have to make sure it's valid. Then I have to put it in a database, for pulling it back out later. The pit is just a couple of lines and switch statements selecting the right combination of stuff.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Not to mention it takes up way more space, I'm pretty sure.
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

I think you are working really hard on this.. but.. let's remember you that only 1% of the total idea remains after being implemented... :P
Top 10 on the Total Post list
Satan

Post by Satan »

Just want to mention I think UR frequency changing based on effects/equipment is baaaaaaaaaad.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Satan wrote:Just want to mention I think UR frequency changing based on effects/equipment is baaaaaaaaaad.
QFT