Thanksgiving Podcast

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinak
Site Admin

Thanksgiving Podcast

Post by Kinak »

Join around the hams and yams, turkeys and... jerkeys, I guess... for the Thanksgiving podcast.

Put your questions here and I'll answer them! Try to keep them short so I can understand them on the air and not answer each other's questions, even if they seem obvious.

In addition to the questions, I'll be announcing the winners of the enemy creation contest! See who's the best at making enemies :)

Holiday General's Warning: This podcast will not actually be on Thanksgiving.

Cheers!
Kinak
darkzumi

Re: Thanksgiving Podcast

Post by darkzumi »

1: What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

2: What are your plans for Christmas?

3: What's the Next Big Thing for our beloved city of Twilight?!

4: What is your favorite color?

5: Would you ever consider doing a Twilight Heroes/Kinak AMA on reddit?

6: How about a new NPC that gives out mini-quests? Instead of a once daily thing you could just do it whenever you wanted maybe? The quests would be simple, like "go defeat X number of this specific enemy" or "go defeat X enemies in this specific area." For doing the quests you could gain chips, a stat point or two, or HP/PP recovery items. Plus it would give a new category to put up on the leader boards. :)
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Kinak!
You so bloo! Bloo and shiny! Cw00t shiny, but s~c~a~r~y shiny too!
If I hugged you and petted you and squeezed you and rubbed you and called you George, would you love me back or dart me with poison and gobble all my turkey's mites?

Does this spandex make me look fat?

What is Captain Buzzkill's home address when he's not in prison?

Should adventuring underwater carry a time penalty for all but naturists... er... I mean naturalists?
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Are effects that increase the power of sidekicks by X percentage points capped by the sidekicks level?
Or is that snippet of the infinite something best left to the wiki?
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

How was your trip to Japan?
What part did you visit?
Did you get to see the video game arcades and electronics stores in Akihabara in Tokyo?
Did everything still smell like cigarettes? It was a bit annoying that I had to eat my mayonnaise-and-corn ramen with a cigarette smoker at the next table in the restaurant.
Did you try any Japanese snacks? My favorite was the chocolate-filled koala bear cookies. The white-chocolate-and-green-tea Kit-Kats were also good.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

I, for one, am thankful for podcasts. Enjoy!

Cheers!
Kinak
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

RoKK 'n RoLL George!

America Burgers!

Thumbs up Happy Choice Number 1 Teriyaki Maku Baagaa!

As a 'ickle boyo in Canada, I use to love me them Chinese chicken balls. But much like Britain's favourite Indian dish - Chicken Tikka Masala, they're a western dish. Western, by point of view of course - much like the Aussies say, it’s them who are at the top of the world.

I was travelling through Glasgow with some buddies (or as they say in Welsh English - butties) when we stopped outside a bakery and had a convo concerning Paris Buns.

Rab C. Nesbitt is a Scottish comedy show from the nineties telly, centred 'round a Glaswegian alky. Rab grew up being fed on Paris Buns. We debated forra bit whether or not to ask for one. Would they simply serve it up or mock us for being tsoopit tourists? I finally offered up: Wha' cares tey tink, sure, t'will ne're see 'em agin. And so, in we went and without more than a word, they served us three of a Glaswegian staple - The Paris Bun.

OMEEGAADD!

My dad's side is Scottish. I lived there for a bit in Fife and so while I know that the Scottish are not all gastronomically inept, they do seem to have a higher than normal percentage of folk who like their dinners to challenge the health of their hearts. When I first arrived back in mah da's homeland (as an adult) with a Canadian friend, we were brought to Kirkcaldy's favourite fish and chip restaurant, The One-O-One. Poor Chris, he be ae richt Scotophile and was absolutely delighted and excited to be sinking his teeth into his first ever British Fish Dinner (battered fish with chips/french-fries).

His face almost turned green. He just could not eat it and was lost for words. It was so greasy, I said to him afterwards, it was as if the fish was still swimming around the plate.

Having said that, the second best fish and chips I ever had was in Oban, Scotland. That place has since shut down and has been replaced by a 'orribly greeezy fried chicken take away. (But hey - that's only my opinion)

Oh, right, back to the Paris Buns - start by picturing a croissant. Let the croissant go stale, then deep fry it, soak it in liquid sugar, cover it in Hundreds And Thousands (tiny candy cake decorations), then deep fry it again. Yes, you are quite correct to balk, it is as gord-arful as you are thinking, but to some folk it's food Heaven.

Delicious fish dinners do exist here, but you gotta know where to plant your feet. I was at the Tourist Information Office in Dover, England in the 90’s and overheard the lady on duty giving out like absolute stink to a Japanese tourist, telling him to learn English properly or go back to slantyland (wow… talk about being in the wrong job). He was trying to get directions to the town’s youth hostel and as I was going there, I suggested that we find it together. He was a lovely fella, very polite and apologetic for his poor English. I responded that his English was far better than my Japanese. Half-way to the hostel, we passed a fish and chip restaurant. His eyes lit up with joy. It’s the first thing many a traveller to the UK wants most – to walk into the first fish restaurant they see and experience for themselves that famously fabulous UK seafood specialty. I tried to explain that the place looked like a BIG mistake, the kind’a dump that serves garbage, but he was glassy-eyed and enthralled and so in we went.

I love the Japanese. At least the Japanese abroad (I’ve never been there), the ones I’ve met have all been polite, friendly and generous to a fault. He was so concerned that I was not ordering and offered to pay for a meal for me. After another attempt to dissuade him, we sat down and on his first bite, his face mimicked Chris’. He couldn’t eat it. He couldn’t not eat it. In the end he just could not stomach what sat, limp and wet on the plate, soaked in grease.

Later that night, it transpired he was headed off to Oban the next day and so I gave him a street map of Oban I used as a bookmark and drew on it a line from the train station to the above mentioned fish restaurant. His face beamed bright! I would have loved to have been a fly-on-the-wall, when he got there, speaking in his half-English about the Canadian he met in England, directing him to the best Fish Dinner in Scotland.

Lest anyone accuse me of being a tease (I am), the best I ever tasted was in Hugh Town on the Scilly Isles, 28 miles west of Land’s End, England. It was just a hut by the docks that was only open for two hours in the late afternoon and served crisp battered fish, fresh from the boat.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Iggy wrote:Lest anyone accuse me of being a tease (I am), the best I ever tasted was in Hugh Town on the Scilly Isles, 28 miles west of Land’s End, England. It was just a hut by the docks that was only open for two hours in the late afternoon and served crisp battered fish, fresh from the boat.
Those places are always the best!

On a slightly related note, my spouse is doing a walking tour of Scotland next year with her sister. Hopefully they get some of that tasty Scottish food :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Nice!
Scotland is riddled with stunningly beautiful walking routes.
I'd love to recommend a plaice to eat, but it's been 17 years since I've been up north. Rest assured mind, food quality across Britain has improved immensely since I moved here in 1990.

Edit: I can recommend one thing that will help avoid possibly offending anybody - While travelling in Scotland, always refer to it as a country and never as a province or state.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Iggy wrote:Edit: I can recommend one thing that will help avoid possibly offending anybody - While travelling in Scotland, always refer to it as a country and never as a province or state.
Thanks! I'll let her know.

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

danjruss wrote:Did I miss the contest winner announcement in the 'cast? Also, thanks for answering my question! You nailed the pronunciation on the first try.
I missed it too.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sorry! I was traveling and sick for so long I forgot to announce the winners. :oops:

From danjruss, we have the Sand Man.
Iggy is menacing us with Pizza Delivery Boys.
Zatade is livening up the place with self-righteous teetotalers and wharf rats.
Sanjuro is pickling pots and potting pickles.
And The Leopard has taught us the true menace of cuckoo clockmasters and serial jaywalkers.

The enemies should be sneaking in over the next few weeks, but the prizes are out now.

Cheers!
Kinak