froggy madness

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Patojonas

froggy madness

Post by Patojonas »

Just wondering, will the frogs be staying for a while as part of the event or just today due to the leap day thing?

Just asking because I don't have much time to play today...
Kinak
Site Admin

Re: froggy madness

Post by Kinak »

Patojonas wrote:Just wondering, will the frogs be staying for a while as part of the event or just today due to the leap day thing?

Just asking because I don't have much time to play today...
The frogs will be around until the end of the event, no worries.

It just happened to line up with February 28.25, so I couldn't help myself.

Cheers!
Kinak
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Awesome, I love the madness you've created on that pond :P

Takes a lot more time to beat that miniboss though, yesterday felled 15 alphas, today only 3 reigns of frogs :P

pity strings of bad code can't replicate them like they do to the rogue agents :P
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Patojonas wrote:Awesome, I love the madness you've created on that pond :P
Glad you're enjoying it!
Patojonas wrote:Takes a lot more time to beat that miniboss though, yesterday felled 15 alphas, today only 3 reigns of frogs :P

pity strings of bad code can't replicate them like they do to the rogue agents :P
There are some tricks but frogs are scary :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

I'm a bit concerned by this event. I clearly can't beat the reign of frogs with my level 10 character, but I can't even seem to beat the eggs, because they start doing 90+ damage per round. Wiki isn't very up to date with this stuff, but it sounds like the reign might drop things the tadpoles don't? It can also take a very long time to get the non-com, so I wasted most of the day just trying to get to fight the version of the boss I thought I would be able to take down, and ended up not getting any ancient chips. Not a big fan of limited time content that requires ridiculously high levels. Honestly, I'd prefer this just became a permanent addition to the game.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Satan wrote:Not a big fan of limited time content that requires ridiculously high levels.
I'm not either. Which is why you don't actually have to be very high level to beat V.I.L.L.A.I.N. alpha or the reign of frogs.

As a safety valve of sorts, their drops are also tradable. So, if time runs out before you're able to beat a given boss, you'll still be able to get the items.

But the character I used to test the reign of frogs wasn't even 10th level, so I have every confidence you'll be able to take them down.

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Would anyone like to share some tips for beating the frog bosses? I have been unsuccessful so far. :(
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Satan

Post by Satan »

My only guess is that you go back in time, pop open a bunch of eggs, kill their respective voracious tadpoles, then go back to the future's past, and the reign is weaker. But I didn't have time to test that theory yesterday.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

That seems to be the case. I killed a few reigns before going back to Alpha who's much less annoying.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Yep, that worked for me too. And I also found it annoying, because you have to go back to the tadpoles to weaken the reign of frogs each time.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyway, any indication of how long the event will last?
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:Anyway, any indication of how long the event will last?
There's still a fair amount I have planned, content-wise, but it depends quite a bit on whether people are enjoying it.

Which is to say, if people aren't enjoying it, I obviously have better things I could be spending my time on. But, if they are, there's more where that came from.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Not sure if this is an intentional joke, like the aeropack, but...

The diving bell has a range of 1, which means it can't get to the Bay to get underwater. That's range: 2.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

As far as the wiki is concerned, sorry it isn't clearer, I managed to figure the whole thing out with my alts on the day the frogs came out but didn't add it right away not to spoil it.

Still, there should be enough info on the wiki by now?

I mean, this whole event is themed on the past so that plus the info on the noncombats plus the info on the change notes should be sufficient by now....

The noncombat seems to be affected by combat chance modifiers, but snaring the smeet helps greatly I believe. As a high leveled user I can beat the reign after popping 6 eggs in the past, but I guess more would be needed for weaker accounts.

Also, whenever you fight the reign and see a note about a frog falling in the water, it means the reign as a whole will be weaker next time if you fail to beat it now.

It also seemed to me that their hp loss carried from one fight to the other, but that might have to do with their weakening.

But yeah, I've managed to beat 5 reigns in a day from 5:30 to 7, while I could have done 15 alphas in that time...

Oddly enough the reign of frogs doesn't give XP when beaten like alpha, is this a bug?

And has anyone managed to assemble the retro viral code with anything so far?
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:Not sure if this is an intentional joke, like the aeropack, but...

The diving bell has a range of 1, which means it can't get to the Bay to get underwater. That's range: 2.
It's intentional. That's why it mentions the hose not being very long (I think it mentions that).

Although the image of a diving bell hose stretching across town is also funny, I'll grant.
Patojonas wrote:Oddly enough the reign of frogs doesn't give XP when beaten like alpha, is this a bug?
Fixed! That... was actually a surprisingly difficult bug.
Patojonas wrote:And has anyone managed to assemble the retro viral code with anything so far?
Also fixed.

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Ok, the squashed digital toad did not show up in the crafting menus yesterday.

Today, retro viral code + squashed digital toad = ????

EDIT- No, not a code toad.
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Is there any benefit to releasing more tadpoles after the future "may be saved"? The obvious effect is that I have to waste more turns fighting tadpoles before I can start replacing pipes.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:EDIT- No, not a code toad.
Code toad would have been good. Or even a toad oracle if I went real deep on obscure software references.
xKiv wrote:Is there any benefit to releasing more tadpoles after the future "may be saved"? The obvious effect is that I have to waste more turns fighting tadpoles before I can start replacing pipes.
The message is just at what I figured would be a sweet spot. But it's basically a sliding scale, so you can stop at whatever point is good for you.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

I popped a bunch of eggs and never saw the future may be saved message at the beginning of the day. When I went back to future to see how the frogs were, they did only 1 damage to me, so clearly I wasted a lot of time. The future message might have a bug where it's not showing? Or it happened the first day and I missed it, and it doesn't repeat? In any case, I popped a bunch more and didn't see it again, went back to future expecting frogs to be weak enough, they did way too much damage just from the mid air collision alone, so now I have to go wait to bust the pipes 3 times, fight the eggs for some unknown number of times, refarm 3 lead pipes, wait to replace the pipes 3 times, and try again, which probably can't all be done today. There should be a way to streamline the process, and even with snaring every smeet I saw, it didn't really seem to help much. This is just too much of a cumbersome process, when it seems like alpha can be taken down much easier.
hoyifung04

Post by hoyifung04 »

The "future may be saved..." message seems to appear after popping ~4 eggs (and taking 100 + 300 damage, with the message appearing as I take 600 damage), regardless of my level/stats (level 101/50/low-30's). But, while my level 101 alts can defeat the reign after popping ~8 eggs in one fight, my level 50 alts require ~9 eggs in three fights to be effective, and my low-30's alt requires ~12 eggs in four, so it looks like a really rough estimate to me as opposed to an individualised guess.

Also, is there any reason why you can't fly above the jumping frogs? My pegaswe (okay, fine; I use my dreamers' clocks for the underwater breathing, but if I chose otherwise) keep giving me strange looks when frogs land on my head.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hm. It opens with some insane damage (~35k?). Perhaps each egg halves the damage?
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Satan wrote:There should be a way to streamline the process,
Use full +nc throughout.
Farm lead pipes using free runaways (I use godmother's carriages before midnight, ouch's clown makeups after).
Be able to do thousands of damage in one strike (I suspect the mechanic is "if done_damage>limit then decrease reignFrogsCounter; if reignFrogsCounter==0 then win").
Have 6000 HP (the sweet spot for me is *three* tadpoles. Count them. One, two, three! That's almost, but not quite, as much as four!).

I can still only defeat 5 reigns in an average day, but that's much more than not-even-one.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Ok, I had thought the message showed up based on total eggs destroyed, not based on the damage counter. I can only survive until the turn where I take 300 (well, 290), so I never saw the message. But I destroyed like 3 eggs per round 5 or 6 times, so I figured I was good. I think one thing that could help, hammering should give you a lead pipe. And maybe, increased chance to get the non-com one after the other?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Is the lead pipe consumed?
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Satan wrote:hammering should give you a lead pipe.
That would be broken ...
(and by that I mean the *pipe* would be broken. A broken lead pipe. Not usable for replacing).
Cristiona wrote:Is the lead pipe consumed?
I am not sure what you are asking here. The NC choice to replace a pipe consumes a pipe from inventory. You can't install your pipe and have it too.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Tested a way to exploit the reign of frog's mechanic, and after a bit of suffering, succeeded in defeating it without going to the past, that is, 2 reigns in a row. The method involves some luck and is achievable no matter how much hp you have. Also, the alt that did it wasn't using any IOTM.
Hint: All you have to do is being able to land a hit and not be killed in the same round a few times.

Alternatively, if you have 10000 hp or more you can survive some hits and don't need to go to the past to begin with....

I'll reveal it if the powers that be don't consider it too much of an exploit :P
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Patojonas wrote:I'll reveal it if the powers that be don't consider it too much of an exploit :P
If you think it's a bug (and it sounds like you might think it is), go ahead and send me a bug report. I'll let you know for sure. Thanks!

Cheers!
Kinak
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

It's not a bug, just a flaw in the design :P

Sent you a message explaining how it works in any case :wink:
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Was considered okay, so here's how it works:

Every time the reign of frogs takes a significant amount of damage, there's the message of one of them plummeting into the lake, which means it'll be weaker the next time you face it if you fail to beat it this round.

This can be exploited by causing the reign to fumble. To do that, equip as many of this list as possible:

http://th.blandsauce.com/wiki/Category: ... ble_Chance

Also, make sure you have 2 sources of super jump, otherwise the jump alone will kill you.

This method involves a lot of RNG and failed attempts, but from what little testing i was able to conduct, it might be time efficient....again, all comes down to luck. And if you don't want to farm lead pipes, might as well give it a try.

Also, dunno if it's a bug, but the mask of Odysseus doesn't prevent you from losing initiative...either that or I didn't try enough times to see it trigger....
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Judging by the International House of Records it seems people don't have much love for the frogs :roll:

Just a reminder that the retro viral code assembles with the squashed digital toad to create a digital toad zombie which can also be assembled, but not with the primordial stuffing, probably with what results from assembling the primordial stuffing plus the spoils of the next mini boss zone? (likely theory)

In this case it'd be wise for people interested in the event to beat more frogs...

PS: sorry for the triple posting :mrgreen:
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

So I just tried this.
It gets much worse. They can't kill me in the first round. I am getting crowns about every 5 turns, because free runaways fom almost everything else except smeet.

#surrounded by enormous piles of HP
#froggies may rule

(ETA: also, one frog falls in the first round just from my strike-back damage)
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Today was MLB Opening Day!
And the Chicago Cubs have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs! :lol:
(I never get tired of that joke.)

However, in Twilight, it looks like the Daylight Saver disrupted Opening Day! Oh noes!!!!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:However, in Twilight, it looks like the Daylight Saver disrupted Opening Day! Oh noes!!!!
That blaggard!

Cheers!
Kinak
The Leopard

Post by The Leopard »

I was just picturing visiting Susan Novak during the Auction House event:

"You chat with Susan for a bit, but neither of you has anything really interesting to report."

Except maybe for that GIANT SWIRLING TIME VORTEX?!?

Talk with Susan Novak

Me: Susan! You won't believe what's happening downtown! Some sort of time portal has opened up!

Susan: Oh.

Me: Yes! A time portal that leads to the past! Are you going to investigate it?

Susan: Maybe later.

Me: But...but this could unlock the secrets to TIME TRAVEL! Finding out where we've been, where we're going...

Susan: Nah.

Me: Did I mention what's inside the portal? An ancient supercomputer that tries to kill you!

Susan: We already have a SkechiTech cluster that tries to kill our IT department on a regular basis.

Me: But...Frogs! And Plushies! And FRUSION ENERGY! Maybe you could harness this seemingly limitless power source for good?

Susan: We're kind of busy right now... The University Chancellor is visiting tomorrow. And Joe's been trying to fix the coffee machine...

Me: And then there's a swirling green singularity and a guy comes out with a bunch of different forms...

Susan: Don't you have anything interesting to report?

Me: ... *sigh* ... No.

Back to University Heights.
Back to the main map.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Now I'm imagining that sort of conversation every time you talk to Susan. It's kind of awesome.

Cheers!
Kinak