As part of a major rewrite of the sidekick code, we've split sidekicks and temporary companions. Which means you can have your sidekick, like Bob the Computer Pharmacist, and a companion, like a wolf, at the same time.
You still only get one of each. We're crazy. We're not that crazy.
Now, I 100% guarantee there are bugs out there. Let me know what explodes.
A few random points:
- Since companions are no longer sidekicks, +sidekick effects do nothing for them and they do not scale to level.
- Companions from items and skills will prompt you to replace other sidekicks, rather than just blocking you and making you manually switch.
- While I was rewriting everything, I fixed a few things a few places where sidekick scaling didn't work quite as advertised. Mostly, this takes the form of getting an extra damage or two here and there.
- A lot of extra text got added to sidekicks and companions to fit the new formatting (p.s. there's new formatting).
- Mostly there are a lot more failure messages, such as chip find sidekicks and companions giving appropriate messages if they don't fire (because the enemy doesn't drop chips).
- Related to that, chip find sidekicks/companions and damage-reduction companions should be more explicit.
- It's entirely possible that, now that companions aren't competing with sidekicks, we might have to go over their balance at some point. For now, go nuts, see how it works out.