Heirloom Derby

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

acidcat

Re: Heirloom Derby

Post by acidcat »

Awww. I had hoped to see the finished leaderboards of this months derby. Who won and who got runner up prizes?

Was the reason it not being left up for clutter, because of the debate on who won or just it was never planned to be left up?
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

It's there. Click the First link at the bottom of the current leaderboard.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

I didn't think to check if that actually worked. I'll assume the "first" link actually takes you back.

But they should be preserved in perpetuity. Which is kind of cool.

Cheers!
Kinak
acidcat

Post by acidcat »

Oops! Thanks HD. That's embarassing, I know how to drive an interwebs normally. Sigh.

Some pretty darned fast times. Props to everyone who took part. Are the winners the four names at the top? (Sorry if this restarts the argument from page 1, I'm just interested - and will also hopefully take part once RL slows down a bit. Moving house and moving job means that playing games time is seriously shortened!)
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Those are the winners, yeah, but lots of people (maybe all?) get prizes. Dresden II got 4 prizes, even though I only "won" one category. They're all equipped on that account if anyone wants to see them in their non-Heirloomed form.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

acidcat wrote:Some pretty darned fast times. Props to everyone who took part. Are the winners the four names at the top?
Seconded on the props! And yes, the winners are the top row :)
Harry Dresden wrote:Those are the winners, yeah, but lots of people (maybe all?) get prizes. Dresden II got 4 prizes, even though I only "won" one category. They're all equipped on that account if anyone wants to see them in their non-Heirloomed form.
Everyone who participated should have gotten something.

Cheers!
Kinak
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Whoa, we are going the get an entire set of kitchenware, eventually?

I wonder what exactly is "better the longer it is in the family". Doing heirloom runs with that particular reward?

Also ... "secret reward". Hmm. What could that be for.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

I'd like to point out that the account that won in both speed categories, Blackmatter615 does have IOTM sidekicks, but didn't use them. His greatest advantage was the ability to tame. That and a lot of permed skills, even though only class skills could have SP applied in the winning runs.

@xKiv: probably that
Satan

Post by Satan »

Pato, like I said, it's not really the sidekicks that influence the win. It's luck that you need to push that 5 day run into 4 days. I was also a naturalist and tamed to speed up leveling, but bad luck in a few spots hunting for non-coms and items kept me from 4 days. Although having the sidekicks certainly lowers the amount of good luck you need.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

I guess I was lucky when it came to rng. I'd like to say mister tea was critical, but in my best time there was no mister tea consumed....also, both BM615 and Feathergod competed and Feathergod showed a consistently poorer performance due to lack of perms, it got beat more often and I had to spend more time resting. That was what separated both my alts since they both had similar luck.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Harry Dresden wrote:Dresden II got 4 prizes, even though I only "won" one category.
Boo. I only got two items.

Shouldn't my winning run have netted me a second participation prize?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

ErfMortium wrote:I definitely don't know how to speed run. Haven't even got my merit badge for that yet. Happy to have gotten a sweet 100 damage knife for my efforts though. Don't even think it has a level limit on it either.
Congrats! Enjoy it in good health :)
Cristiona wrote:Shouldn't my winning run have netted me a second participation prize?
Congratulations on your win! The participation... well, the message explains it. "Consolation Prize" is probably the more apt term.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Maybe I'm understanding wrong...

I did 2 heirloom runs with the googles this time. One got me the swimsuit (yay!) but the other netted nothing. Shouldn't there have been gum for my second run which was terrible and useless?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:Maybe I'm understanding wrong...

I did 2 heirloom runs with the googles this time. One got me the swimsuit (yay!) but the other netted nothing. Shouldn't there have been gum for my second run which was terrible and useless?
You should only get the gum for a side of the derby where you participated, but didn't get any prizes for that side of the derby.

If that makes sense.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ahhh. Okay. That makes sense.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Questions on the 'Better the longer they're in the family' modifier:

Does choosing not to do an heirloom run reset the bonus?
Does choosing a different item for heirloom run reset the bonus?
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Satan wrote:Questions on the 'Better the longer they're in the family' modifier:

Does choosing not to do an heirloom run reset the bonus?
Does choosing a different item for heirloom run reset the bonus?
They don't need to be consecutive at all, no. As long as you have those heirloom runs on record, the bonuses should remain the same.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

Hey, Kinak's not evil after all :p
acidcat

Post by acidcat »

Great. Thanks Satan, he'll take that as a challenge now.
You've doomed us all!!! :shock:
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Cheers!
Kinak
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

erfMortium wrote:Shame my heirloom knives aren't dual wieldable :) Or tradable...
Weld 2 heirloom knives.
Dual blade: you retconned one of your ancestors to be Maxim. Now go foil some sinistral plans.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

erfMortium wrote:Shame my heirloom knives aren't dual wieldable :) Or tradable...
That's what I'm shooting to get this month. So someone better do a 21 mettle run in each category to beat my 19 mettle runs!
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

That's what I'm shooting to get this month. So someone better do a 21 mettle run in each category to beat my 19 mettle runs!

Give me another day or two.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

erfMortium wrote:Here was me thinking that heirloom gum would be reusable somehow, darn!
Yeah, I always want both to be something that's available that month.

Which is a shame, because some holiday and otherwise really-limited content has the funnest (or maybe funniest) potential runs.

Edit: This is a reading comprehension fail on my part, but left for a) the next couple posts making sense and b) to point and laugh at.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

Kinak wrote:
erfMortium wrote:Here was me thinking that heirloom gum would be reusable somehow, darn!
Yeah, I always want both to be something that's available that month.

Which is a shame, because some holiday and otherwise really-limited content has the funnest (or maybe funniest) potential runs.

Cheers!
Kinak
I think you misunderstood what he meant. He meant that he thought the gum itself wouldn't be consumed on use, so you could use it for another run later. I think.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Satan wrote:I think you misunderstood what he meant. He meant that he thought the gum itself wouldn't be consumed on use, so you could use it for another run later. I think.
Oh, yeah, I misread "gum" as "gun" and thought he was talking about the taffy puller.

So, I figured he wanted another month with the taffy puller. And who could blame him? Mmmmm taffy.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Wouldn't that chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Ah, yeah, the heirloom gum is more Dale Cooper than Violet Beauregarde.

But that really was a stretch :lol:

Cheers!
Kinak
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Are you using your gold foils? You can make a shirt and pants that help with HP and PP generation for the first 3-5 levels. You can also get rid of the -1 PP from the bike if you have a spare foil you don't want to save for later.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I'm ambivalent on that one. You won't get a crown until the level 9 quest, and then only if you get lucky; there have been runs when I've never gotten a snug breeches, lover's locket half, or truepenny blade. And then, if you do get it, you only wear it for 1 1/2 - 2 levels. I prefer the PP/HP boost in the early levels so that I can push into areas I normally couldn't handle.

Others may have a different opinion on that, though. I'm not always "optimal".
Mana Yachanichu

Post by Mana Yachanichu »

I started doing heirloom runs as soon as they were introduced - mostly because they allow me to use my digitizer and multiversal call center without having to worry about pulls. So doing derby runs is just like doing normal runs for me, besides what I pull. Despite that, I've managed to get a non-gum prize just once. I presume this says something about my skill level but ah, it's fun anyways.