Updated Catalyzing

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Satan

Updated Catalyzing

Post by Satan »

I'm making this thread mostly to discuss the brain cylinder, but feel free to discuss other catalyzing content. I want to bring up a balancing issue. Obviously, these items aren't anywhere near finished being spaded, I've only used the horrible brain cylinder once so it's possible it's not as bad as I think it is, but it feels like the punishment for using the brain cylinders does not fit the reward in light of other sources. Assuming that one is somewhat high level, it is possible to get 3 stats of any kind in 10 minutes with no other cost or penalty, granted it requires a vehicle range of 5 or greater.

In comparison, a brain cylinder takes 90 minutes of catalyze time for the yuggothium and a tok'l ore, as well as a CTHULHU disc. When I used the horrible brain cylinder, I received 3 intellect and 120 minutes of an effect that gives -25% to all stats and -5 psychic damage per combat round.

I know that not every method of obtaining stats is going to be equal, and the brain cylinders have the pros of not taking up time and no level requirement, but this just seems like overkill for a mere 3 stats. Given that the role of the 3 main stats is generally downplayed in importance compared to the 'hidden' stats and level, the punishment does not fit the reward after all the effort it takes to obtain it. I would recommend either a shorter duration for the effect, removing or lowering the stat penalty, or increasing the stat gain. Some might argue that increasing the stat gain would make level requirements necessary, but if the -25% stats is kept on for 120 minutes, early levels are still going to be hit hard by that (maybe level 4 or 5 would be reasonable so that -25% really means something).
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Patojonas

Re: Updated Catalyzing

Post by Patojonas »

I was about to comment on that, indeed, too many downsides for a measly +3 of whatever stat you're getting.

And, if you compare it with Shamrock powder then it's completely off :lol:

Also, since we're at it, do the cylinders lack a multiuse option on purpose? I know they're bad, but since liao is bad and has the option :P

Edit: never mind the multiuse.

Also, Satan, did you get to use more than one? I used a temporal one and it gave me 4 intellect, my alts level is lower than you so maybe there's a range or it depends on something? DerMagus also got only 3 from the horrible one.
Satan

Post by Satan »

I believe evill gives 2, horrible gives 3, temporal gives 4. I want to say that's the order they increase in xp, too lazy to check, but that makes sense. Also, you can't even even multiple use them for abuse while you have the effect on? Total overkill.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Yep, xp order, just spaded them in Aewyre, those are the outputs and no multiuse intended.

I wonder how much intellect I could farm in the CTC in 30 turns....certainly way way more than 4 :P

edit:

Also, yuggothium welds make level 25 items, while malkamite welds makes level 18 ones, shouldn't they change places when it comes to Skill Point requirements?
Satan

Post by Satan »

If you're high enough in level, and assuming 4 minutes per turn, 30 turns = 120 minutes = 12 CCC training sessions = 36 stat points.
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Patojonas wrote: I wonder how much intellect I could farm in the CTC in 30 turns....certainly way way more than 4 :P
I get roughly (slightly over) $turns of the chosen stat in brutes' camp (plus items, plus xp, plus other stats since I have the ti800)
Also, yuggothium welds make level 25 items, while malkamite welds makes level 18 ones, shouldn't they change places when it comes to Skill Point requirements?
It can make sense like this - with higher skill and more exotic ingredients, you are able to make stuff that's easier to use.
(compare skill and ingredients needed to make a computer+spreadsheet application with skill and ingredients needed to make pen+paper)