Hello World (aka Don't Panic II, Electric Bugaloo)

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinak
Site Admin

Hello World (aka Don't Panic II, Electric Bugaloo)

Post by Kinak »

Good evening!

So, you probably heard Ryme was looking for someone to handle Twilight Heroes' day-to-day development and maintenance. You may already know that we've been talking, but we just got to the point we're confident it'll be me.

I'll spend the rest of the post doing my best psion impression, but if I miss any questions, toss them into the thread and I'll get them answered for you.

Who are you?
I'm Kinak (or Landon Winkler, if you prefer outside names). I'm the developer for Metroplexity, which runs off of a lot of the same technology as Twilight Heroes and also borrows many mechanics from Kingdom of Loathing.

Other than that, my hobbies are game design, coding, and GMing tabletop RPGs. That's really kind of it. I'm a huge dork like that.

What's happening to Ryme?
Ryme'll still be around doing development and, early on in particular, helping me find my way around the code. He'll be developing cool content when he's inspired and I'll be doing as much of that as I can between fixing stuff.

Honestly, aside from someone else handling your bug reports and the donations/servers, you shouldn't see much change except for more content coming through. Which, I think we can all agree, is an awesome thing.

Where are you?
I'm in Columbus, Ohio. So, if anyone's in the area, we should meet up at some point.

When is it happening?
We're planning to switch November 1st. Obviously, you know how schedules can be, but that's the plan.

Why are you doing this?
I'm not sure you were wondering this, but I think it's a pretty important question. I've been playing Twilight Heroes for quite a while (although not under this name) and really like the game. It has a lot of mechanics that I'm really looking forward to playing with, a solid team, and a tone I want to write in more but doesn't fit in Metroplexity at all.

Really, I don't want to see Twilight Heroes languish, I have the skillset, and I'll have a lot of fun working on it. So, it's kind of a win/win/win for me.

This is probably my chance to make it really clear that Twilight Heroes will stay Twilight Heroes and not become Metroplexity 2. If I have an idea that fits into Metroplexity, it'll just go into Metroplexity. If anything, I'd expect the games to diverge a bit as I focus time on what makes each game unique.

How can you develop two games?
I can't speak for anyone else, but my biggest road block to getting stuff done is overload on a particular project. So I can power through two or three days of one project, but then I need to work on something else for a while. Now it's just that less of that time is wasted.

Another factor is just making changes to the code side to make it easier to add content (allowing more "spindling," in KoL parlance). That'll take a lot of time up front, but will help Ryme and Cristiona and I roll out new stuff easier.

I'm not going to promise I can turn on the content firehose, although that would be cool. I do honestly think I'll be able to look back in six months or a year and say "wow, we released a lot of cool content." But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. I hope I don't disappoint.

Cheers!
Kinak
Isladar

Re: Hello World (aka Don't Panic II, Electric Bugaloo)

Post by Isladar »

Welcome (re-welcome?) and thank you for the post.

I am as comforted as I could be (despite your being 100% evil), and I look forward to seeing what you have to contribute.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Don't worry, Cris's goodness will counteract Kinak's evil..........wait.....we're screwed.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Isladar wrote:I am as comforted as I could be (despite your being 100% evil), and I look forward to seeing what you have to contribute.
Thanks! And I shall endeavor to use my evil as a force for good.
Harry Dresden wrote:Don't worry, Cris's goodness will counteract Kinak's evil..........wait.....we're screwed.
Mua ha. Mua ha ha. Mua ha ha ha ha ha!

Cheers!
Kinak
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I just want to say I'm convinced Kinak is going to do well with this. Metroplexity has a great reputation. I know he's got the coding skills, he can handle both the dark and humorous writing, and in just the few weeks we've been talking I've seen a bunch of good ideas come up when talking about that game that left me scratching my head and wondering "why didn't I think of that?" He also has the time and energy that I don't right now, and I'm looking forward to the good things that'll be popping up in Twilight soon.

I also want to reiterate I'm still going to be around and contributing to the game as time and baby allow, and I've got enough notes about unfinished quests, bad puns, linguistic twists, and other things to keep several people busy, on top of whatever good ideas Kinak will be bringing to the table.
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

And a new PVP system... right?

Right?

C'mon guys... Answer me!?!?!

J/K Although, when you do get around to it, I'd love to be able to give more input for it. It's one of those things that keeps occasionally rolling through this empty head of mine, and each time it seems to get a little bit bigger...
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Ryme wrote:I just want to say I'm convinced Kinak is going to do well with this. Metroplexity has a great reputation. I know he's got the coding skills, he can handle both the dark and humorous writing, and in just the few weeks we've been talking I've seen a bunch of good ideas come up when talking about that game that left me scratching my head and wondering "why didn't I think of that?" He also has the time and energy that I don't right now, and I'm looking forward to the good things that'll be popping up in Twilight soon.
/em blushes.

Thanks, Ryme.
seventhcross wrote:And a new PVP system... right?
It's not on the back burner but, I'll admit, it's on the burner right in front of that... I have a lot of burners.

I have been thinking about it, though, mechanically and narratively. Once it clicks narratively for me, I'll probably start working on it in earnest.

Cheers!
Kinak
Jick

Post by Jick »

This is great news, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

Good luck Kinak! This is very reassuring after the shock of the For Sale sign and visions of something like the crimborg/mafia takeovers of KoL's Crimbo (with Ryme as Uncle Crimbo I guess?). Those are some mighty huge shoes you're going to be stepping into! (This is metaphorical praise for Ryme - I am not saying he has freakishly enormous feet or that Kinak steals footwear.)
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Don't think I've ever seen you around, Kinak, but cheers!

Do us proud!
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Jick wrote:This is great news, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.
Thanks, Jick!

If you're swinging through for KoLumbus again, feel free to drop me a line.
Hannahmaus wrote:Good luck Kinak! This is very reassuring after the shock of the For Sale sign and visions of something like the crimborg/mafia takeovers of KoL's Crimbo (with Ryme as Uncle Crimbo I guess?). Those are some mighty huge shoes you're going to be stepping into! (This is metaphorical praise for Ryme - I am not saying he has freakishly enormous feet or that Kinak steals footwear.)
I dunno, if my takeover was half as cool as the Crimborg, I'd consider that a win :)

But rest assured that I am not a faceless game destroying collective bent only on profits. I'm a faceless (this is the internet, after all) dude in Ohio who loves games entirely too much.
Corrupt Shadow wrote:Don't think I've ever seen you around, Kinak, but cheers!

Do us proud!
Thanks!

I didn't play as Kinak at all. It's a decent fantasy name (my first D&D character not named "Landon," for what it's worth), but not a very good superhero name. Maybe if I went by K'nak and claimed to be a martian but, alas, I was not nearly that quick-witted.

Cheers!
Kinak
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I'm a big fan of your work Kinak, and I expect great things. Terrible things, but great.

Ryme, you better still pop into chat once in a while after the switch, you know how much I love that.

Edit: Also Kinak, you'll have to tell us your in-game name, I'd love to chat with you. More importantly I'll also be needing to know how your life is pretty regularly, soooo...
OldJanitor

Post by OldJanitor »

I rarely post here and am only really active in chat during euro morning hours, but I thought I'd drop by and say that I'm looking forward to whatever comes my way. Kindof.

Just noticed that I'm closing in on finishing my fourth year of TH (although dwarved by being close to finishing my seventh year of KoL) and I have to say that you're getting a hell of a good game to "start from" with TH.

Take your time, settle in, and then be our superhero. As they so truly say, we DO need another hero.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

TheK3vin wrote:Edit: Also Kinak, you'll have to tell us your in-game name, I'd love to chat with you. More importantly I'll also be needing to know how your life is pretty regularly, soooo...
It's "Kinak" :P
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

TheK3vin wrote:I'm a big fan of your work Kinak, and I expect great things. Terrible things, but great.
Great and terrible reminds me of the Cthulhu stuff.

Which makes me wonder... Kinak... Do you have a beard?
And is it made of tentacles?
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

TheK3vin wrote:I'm a big fan of your work Kinak, and I expect great things. Terrible things, but great.
Thanks, TheK3vin :)
TheK3vin wrote:Edit: Also Kinak, you'll have to tell us your in-game name, I'd love to chat with you. More importantly I'll also be needing to know how your life is pretty regularly, soooo...
As Cristiona pointed out, I'm Kinak (#4) in game now. I may not be on to chat quite as much as Ryme has been, but feel free to fire me an in-game message.
OldJanitor wrote:I rarely post here and am only really active in chat during euro morning hours, but I thought I'd drop by and say that I'm looking forward to whatever comes my way. Kindof.

Just noticed that I'm closing in on finishing my fourth year of TH (although dwarved by being close to finishing my seventh year of KoL) and I have to say that you're getting a hell of a good game to "start from" with TH.
Thanks! And I feel like it's really appropriate that we'll be doing the hand-off right after the anniversary. It's sort of bitter-sweet, the ends-and-beginnings.

I totally agree with the "standing on shoulders of giants" sentiment. Working on someone else's dream is a new challenge for me, but one I think should prove to be pretty fun.

------ Slight Aside ------

Mentioning Euro hours reminded me of something I wanted to talk about, actually. Ryme's traditionally done his scheduled "Tea Time with Ryme" chats, while I'm used to having a forum thread with questions and doing a podcast.

I've always tended towards the latter approach because it works better for players on different schedules, but if folks have an opinion for which they'd prefer, I'd love to hear them. Obviously either way assumes dropping by chat randomly sometimes.

------ End Slight Aside ------
The Red Sickle wrote:So it seems I'll have to return to Twilight Heroes and hoard up whatever foot coverings I can find before Kinak destroys them. Look forward to seeing you all in chat, sometime soon.
Now, now, Vholes. We have an entire item slot for shoes here. And you can get flippers in Metroplexity, that's got to count for something.

Also, welcome aboard :)
Jesus wrote:Great and terrible reminds me of the Cthulhu stuff.
As well it should :lol: I read a lot, but the ones that get read over and over are Lovecraft, Calvin and Hobbes, the Illuminatus! Trilogy, old D&D supplements, and Harry Potter.

On the bright side, the clock zones are already here, but I feel right at home :)
Jesus wrote:Which makes me wonder... Kinak... Do you have a beard?
And is it made of tentacles?
Yes and only under the light of the new moon, respectively.

Cheers!
Kinak
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Kinak wrote: feel free to fire me an in-game message.
Now you've done it.......

On the flip side, enjoy always having a full mailbox!
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Kinak wrote: I totally agree with the "standing on shoulders of giants" sentiment. Working on someone else's dream is a new challenge for me, but one I think should prove to be pretty fun.
You are software engineers. You will be standing on each other's toes ;-)
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Harry Dresden wrote:Now you've done it.......

On the flip side, enjoy always having a full mailbox!
/em disappears under a wave of messages.

But it's always nice to be well-loved :)
xKiv wrote:You are software engineers. You will be standing on each other's toes ;-)
But "If I have coded further, it is only by standing on the toes of giants" just doesn't quite have the same ring :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Gwen wrote:Well, this is most certainly reassuring. Kinak, I think you'll do just fine, you're only standing on top of the shoulders of a giant (for originality's sake, behemoth? colossus? frumious bandersnatch?) with an aptitude for coding. :)
Thanks!

Colossi are always good, as are Titans. I also have a special place in my heart for kaiju and bandersnatchi (any word that cool gets pluralized with -i, pretty sure that's a cosmic law). I don't see Ryme as being particularly frumious, though :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

There are some good questions in here, so I'm going to break them apart. If anyone hasn't noticed now, my dev super power is writing really long posts.
mara wrote:Welcome, kinak. I look forward to seeing what you can do. I've really enjoyed playing this game for the past 10ish months. I wish you luck trying to fill some pretty big shoes. With that in mind, a few questions from someone who has played metroplexity:
Thanks, Mara! And it's nice to see you over here too :)
mara wrote:Do you intend to change any mechanics (combat comes to mind here)?
If the question is "do I plan to make combat like Metroplexity's?" then, no, not at all. I don't want to because, even in a vacuum, developing two games with the same combat system would be really boring for me. But if I decided to for some insane reason, it would require at least as much effort as just developing a new game from scratch. That's just not in the cards. Get it? Cards? :lol: Sorry.

It the question is "do I plan to make improvements to combat?" then absolutely. I'm not sitting on any revolutionary plans, but I'd expect to see lots of evolutionary changes as more skills, equipment, sidekicks, and combat items get introduced.
mara wrote:Do you intend to keep the iotm structure the same?
To me, donation structure is all about player feedback.

For example, Metroplexity's current structure is because resets (their retcons, for those reading along) were getting swamped with donation items and losing differentiation from one run to the next. So, I stepped in and fixed it. I even managed not to tick off too many people, which honestly kind of shocked me at the time.

So, I don't foresee having to make major changes to the donation structure. But if there are problems it's causing people, I'm happy to have that conversion.
mara wrote:How would you feel about making something similar to your guilds? (I personally think having guilds/clans is a great way to retain players as it builds a further sense of community.)
I think of them as "leagues," but yes, they're very much in the works.

I talked a bit above about having a lot of burners. The one that's in the very front is actually doing the development code changes I talked about a bit in my first post. If that goes half as well as planned, Cristiona will be able to make some pretty serious headway on cool new solo content while I work on the leagues. So, I'm not going to pretend to be able to give a date, but expect these sooner rather than later.

On a side note, I think it's kind of funny when people bring up player retention as a reason to have guilds. They absolutely do increase retention, but it makes me feel like people assume I'm in this to make a buck. :lol:

If I'm going to implement something, it's because I think it's cool and will make the game more fun to play. If coolness and fun aren't enough to retain people, that's sad, but the only thing worse than someone leaving is someone who feels trapped playing a game they don't enjoy.

Anyway, I was introduced to the genre through big cast Marvel comics, so my touchstones for superheroes are the X-Men and the Avengers. That team aspect isn't required to be part of the genre, but I feel like the genre is missing something without those teams.

Which is to say: Leagues are coming, but they're only launching when I feel they've captured that kernel of what superhero teams are about. I couldn't forgive myself as a designer if they were just an in-game networking tool.
mara wrote:How about time allocation? Is metroplexity your first priority?
Exciting and no, respectively :)

Scheduling is something very flexible to me. I'll be in the middle of, for example, working on Metroplexity's Halloween content, decide I need a break, and check the forums here. I'll be looking over the code here and it'll remind me of something I meant to implement two years ago in Metroplexity. And on and on. There will also be days where I will just power through eight or more hours of coding and design on one, wondering when the sun set.

There'll certainly be days when I'm in crunch mode on one, especially rolling out a new quest or fixing a major bug. The day after that, rather than decompressing by designing something nobody will ever see, I'll end up doing design on the other game instead.

"I basically flip a coin every hour, so they should come up about even" may not be the most comforting answer, but it's the most honest.
mara wrote:Lastly, who's going to do your artwork?
*waves*

I can't draw (even saying I can doodle is generous), but I'm not a total slouch with graphics programs. Puyo will obviously keep doing Metroplexity's art, but I can handle Twilight Heroes'.

Honestly, once I settle in, it should be fast enough that it'll take less time than describing what I want to someone else.

Cheers!
Kinak
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Kinak wrote: Mentioning Euro hours reminded me of something I wanted to talk about, actually. Ryme's traditionally done his scheduled "Tea Time with Ryme" chats, while I'm used to having a forum thread with questions and doing a podcast.
I much prefer the podcast format, as I've managed to miss most every Tea Time, and I always want to be there for them.

Speaking of which... if you find yourself in need of a co-host... ;)
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

TheK3vin wrote:I much prefer the podcast format, as I've managed to miss most every Tea Time, and I always want to be there for them.
Yeah, that's where I definitely lean too.

I always missed them when I was playing too, so I'm a little gun shy. What if I miss my own Tea Time? :cry:
TheK3vin wrote:Speaking of which... if you find yourself in need of a co-host... ;)
Some day, I shall master the dark magic that is recording from Skype. Until then, I'll probably only do shows with guests if they come to visit me at conventions ;)

Cheers!
Kinak
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

One thing I would like to suggest is upgrading to phpBB2.

Having had boards in the past that used phpBB2, it has several options that I think would be beneficial.
Spoiler: show
for instance.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Corrupt Shadow wrote:One thing I would like to suggest is upgrading to phpBB2.

Having had boards in the past that used phpBB2, it has several options that I think would be beneficial.
Spoiler: show
for instance.
Upgrades like that are always fun. They're either boring or catastrophic. :)

It's on the list now, but it's probably just going to suddenly happen one day when I accidentally finish something else early.
Garfnobl wrote:Podcasts? <sigh> :roll:

Oh well, I suppose someone will end up transcribing? (and don't look at me) :|

I'm sure it will be fine.
I sense a... lack of enthusiasm :lol:

If that's "please do scheduled Tea Times in chat instead," that's cool. It's honestly just a vote. My vote happens to be for podcasts, because I like being able to do them whenever, but if people prefer Tea Times or have some insane scheme (that doesn't involve me doing both) that's fine with me.

If it's a "I wouldn't participate in either," well, then I hope someone gets you transcripts in either case.

Cheers!
Kinak
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Garfnobl wrote:Podcasts? <sigh> :roll:

Oh well, I suppose someone will end up transcribing? (and don't look at me) :|

I'm sure it will be fine.
I have no problem with transcribing Podcasts should that be the new medium, though it does require a bit more work than just copy/pasting/cleaning up chat.
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Welcome Kinak! I've been away for a couple of months, and come back to all change. I'm happy the game is still here :)

Ryme, i'm glad you aren't going totally, would be a shame to lose you!
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Harry Dresden wrote:I have no problem with transcribing Podcasts should that be the new medium, though it does require a bit more work than just copy/pasting/cleaning up chat.
Yay!
Strlikecrazy wrote:Welcome Kinak! I've been away for a couple of months, and come back to all change. I'm happy the game is still here
Thanks Str! And I think we've got quite a bit of life left in us :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Thanks to Ryme for the great game. I hope I'll still see you around in chat sometimes.

Kinak, congratulations and good luck. :)
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:Kinak, congratulations and good luck. :)
Thanks, Sanjuro :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Kinak wrote:
Upgrades like that are always fun. They're either boring or catastrophic. :)
If it allows for strikeout, I'm all for it!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I've always like the spoiler tags myself. It would be a good addition to the forum.

It would look like this:
http://www.modphpbb3.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=403
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:If it allows for strikeout, I'm all for it!
We don't have strikeout? So many struck-out comedy moments wasted. :cry:
Corrupt Shadows wrote:I've always like the spoiler tags myself. It would be a good addition to the forum.
Those are actually pretty nice. Better than the giant black boxes, for sure.

I probably just don't appreciate them as much because I'm not on the receiving end of actual spoilers very often. If I don't know about content that just got released, there's usually a problem :)

Consider me convinced. I'll nudge that up the list, but I apologize in advance if the upgrade ends up being more "catastrophic" than "boring."

Cheers!
Kinak
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Where are you talking about? This forum, or Metroplexity's? Because this one is already phpBB3. And talking about Metroplexity's doesn't make sense in context. :/
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

This is pbpBB3? I meant phpBB3 in my original post. This looks like phpBB2... unless they just haven't changed it much since phpBB2.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Olaf wrote:Where are you talking about? This forum, or Metroplexity's? Because this one is already phpBB3. And talking about Metroplexity's doesn't make sense in context. :/
Thanks for that, Olaf. I should have doublechecked.
Corrupt Shadow wrote:This is pbpBB3? I meant phpBB3 in my original post. This looks like phpBB2... unless they just haven't changed it much since phpBB2.
On the bright side, that means adding spoiler boxes and strikethrough shouldn't be hard at all.

Cheers!
Kinak