Reputation based areas

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Well, I can see your point Hamish, but I felt this addition was necessary in part because reputations have been spaded so poorly thus far. Which isn't surprising--there wasn't any incentive before, either. I'd guess within a couple of days people will have things figured out, or at least have a better sense of how things work. It really isn't too complicated, once it's been spoiled for you.

I also agree there should be more of these choice adventures. Oddly enough, that's the very next thing on my plate. Expect a few more cropping up over the next week, which may help clarify the trends, and also give you more options.

But here's one gi-normous hint:

1) Starting from brand new, it won't take anyone more than 4 of the right choices to unlock either of the new zones.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Correction: there have been 6 reputation-affecting adventures since the mechanic went public.

The theory that "what do you do?" as a phrase is a required part of the deal was more of a trend than an absolute up to this point, but I'm going to try to make that a standard. Also, the one in the cube, which was downright arbitrary, now at least gives a slightly more useful suggestion as to the type of choice you're making. That one wasn't fair at all, I admit.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

It's been a couple of days, and I haven't seen much discussion or spading here, so I'm gonna throw out a second, and even bigger, hint.

2) It's not possible to significantly change your reputation without doing a little traveling.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Smoot wrote:So you're trying to put Twilight Heroes on the map out in the internet world by yoinking something from World of Warcraft?
What the hell are you on?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

WoW invented reputation, did it? I wonder how the gaming world ever got by without some sort of alignment system before then...

Ryme takes a look at his first edition D&D manual, and tries to figure out if the guys from Blizzard went back in time to deliver the alignment rules to TSR, or if it was the TSR wizards who went forwards in time to steal the concept from Blizzard. Ryme knows alignment has been around at least that long, but figures if you count the "purity" of Percival finding the grail, it's been around for about a millennium, easy.
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Ryme,

Chainmail, 3 years before DnD
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Heard of it; never played it to know what it was like. A bit besides the point, though, which is that just because folks have never seen a world outside of WoW doesn't mean that WoW is in any way original, or the only possible source of any ideas that even vaguely resemble something they do.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

That opens a door for griefing. Someone works to get themselves to Altruist, and then I buff them and send a few thousand chips, and now they're Judicious.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

I also don't want my chat room actions (chips, items, buffs) affecting my character status (rep)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Change your reputation properly... :wink:
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

missingno wrote:For the past week(s) or so I've been exiting stage right constantly. My rep is STILL just Honorable. What do I have do to get these new areas?
I think it's safe to say one of your assumptions about how this works isn't, quite accurate. For instance, perhaps the choice you think you're making isn't the choice you're making. Or perhaps there's something in the game that can tell if you're spamming a single zone and won't give you credit for it. Or maybe there's some X factor that nobody's figured out.

I can tell you this: if you're doing something for an entire day--let alone a week or more--and your reputation isn't changing, then there's more to it than you think there is.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Doesn't look like anybody's noticed, but I placed a more detailed entry under the Reputation link in the Twilight dictionary. Among other things it properly charts the various reputations, which right now aren't plotted quite right in the Twilight Wiki.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Well, you may be thinking too hard on this one. The empty footpath really is empty for now, to accompany the other reputation-based stuff.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Er, caught what should have been a very bad bug. I'm not quite sure how anyone was getting past it, but things ought to be better. Thanks to Melon for explaining issues to me, as I didn't realize there was trouble.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Kallistei!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Oh... some new items aren't properly flagged as edible.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Oh. Heh. I'm getting too many item flags and don't keep them straight anymore. Should be fixed.