Transmogrification

Non-spoilery solutions to people's game-related problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, sorry, that's the one drawback of the system at the moment. Once we've got ascension going, you'll have plenty of opportunities for all variety of rewards there. But in the immediate future I didn't want people to be able to get all the other rewards repeatedly, nor do I want that to be an option once ascension exists ... I think it'd be exploitable.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

frost_maze, I think that problem with powerful equipment was fixed way back when. It's called equip requirements. >.>
Have a nice day.
Jesus

Re: Transmogrification

Post by Jesus »

frost_maze wrote:...quest rewards are talismans tailored to your [class]..
So... necro...

From the perspective of a new player who just completed said quest:
I was under the impression that colors were associated with classes; my Ember in a Bottle is red, so I think red is the Elemental color. From looking at the manual, I was assuming that yellow, blue, and green were Naturalists, Psions, and Gadgeteers respectively. So when I got Thunder in a Bottle and it was yellow, my immediate thought was "It's kinda cool to have another talisman but I don't want to be a Naturalist".

Also, in the Hideout>Talisman tab, there doesn't seem to be a way to look at the talismans you have (that is, what they do). To check current/other talisman descriptions, you have to go to Wear Things and Full inventory.

Yay! Baby's first post.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

The colors don't have anything to do with anything, other than if a color tends to match the function of the item. Like red embers and yellow lightning. The other colors are there to be distinctive. There's no theme. And as there are at least a couple other talismans out there, and those aren't class-specific at all (and there will be more to come), it's safe to say that color won't ever be tied to a specific class.
Jesus wrote:
Also, in the Hideout>Talisman tab, there doesn't seem to be a way to look at the talismans you have (that is, what they do). To check current/other talisman descriptions, you have to go to Wear Things and Full inventory.
This is a good idea. I need to learn how to do those magnifying glass dealies that pop up in KoL. Or something like that. You can always examine them in your inventory first before picking what you want, but I realize that's not so convenient.
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

The color thing just threw me because -- unless I haven't been paying attention -- talismans are the only obviously colorful things I've seen, and I was expecting a color theme. It took me a second to realize Ember... Thunder... you're an Elemental. Theme's under the other cup.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'm reserving color to represent "special" things. Which is mostly talismans to start, but will include ultra-rares, donation items, and the other oddball thing here or there.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

And I guess you don't want to mention the **** by name because it'll encourage people to go looking for infinity bugs?
Have a nice day.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Actually, yeah. I'm not really keeping it secret per se, and nobody else is obligated to do so, but in general I don't see any point in mentioning that particular item as it's really something outside the scope of normal gameplay.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

...damn you, Ross. I have enough trouble with media censorship without you getting into it.
Have a nice day.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

You know, Icy, if you weren't so determined to participate in improper speech, people wouldn't be so inclined to censor you. :P

Actually, I debated whether or not to delete the name, because I don't like that stuff normally, but in the next few months with beta looming I really don't want to encourage people to spam me with in a quest to get one of those things.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Is this where I ask "what item"? >_>
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

All I did was star out the name of an item that isn't obtainable in game, but which I give as a reward. Both of you two confused-y types already have one, I'm pretty sure.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sorry, Devant. Thought you'd earned one by now. Why don't you step up and find a game-breaking bug already? (Again, I kid. I'm sure you'll earn one sooner or later. You're nothing if not persistent. And if I gave prizes for spamming my inbox with hundreds of emails, you'd have won one several times over already. .... :lol: )
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Devant wrote: Eheheh! Believe it or not, I still feel embarassed for doing that *twice* :P.
Not to worry. I was asking for it, the way it was set up. Your minor indescretions (and persistence in encouraging me to fix it) have probably saved me a hundred thousand future junk emails.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

My plan is to continue to allow transmogrification. I don't see any reason why you can't switch classes if you like, as long as you're willing to accept being set back to level 1. I, personally, have had at least a couple of times on KoL where after starting a run I really wished I was a different class--either I realized I'd rather perm another skill, or something new came out, or something like that. I don't see any real problem that would arise by being able to switch classes. Unless something comes up, I'll probably always leave the option.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

And if you have to have a certain amount of XP to ascend (like say 11 levels worth), would that ease your worries? That's always been my plan, to have a level/XP requirement. If you want to beat the game as one class and switch, that's fine, but you've got to level up again. So no speed ascension issues, for sure.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Devant wrote:(not that there is anything that can make you lose levels in KoL)
Actually, there are. I plan to ascend as a level 1 AT for my 100th ascension :P
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Darn newb in chat getting one, it ain't right.