upcoming changes to the sidekick/companion buffs

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

upcoming changes to the sidekick/companion buffs

Post by Ryme »

I'm going to be making some changes to the way summon wolf, summon buffalo, and wind warrior function, as part of an expansion of that companion slot.

I wanted to mention this before hand, because there is one potential detriment to players: wind warrior will become mutually exclusive with the wolf and buffalo. There's probably a couple of days yet before I make any changes, but when things are updated players with both companions will lose one of them (likely whichever has fewer minutes). I didn't want anyone to be surprised by this, or waste any money buffing both in the near future. Also, if you prefer to keep one or the other, make sure the one you want to keep has the most minutes left.

I don't want to say too much more until things are actually ready, but there will be more companion choices in the future, not all of them skills. All will have a temporal duration. Some will do things other than deal combat damage. And, to the appreciation of many, I'm sure, that slot will be protected to prevent intentional or accidental interference from other players.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Yay?

So this means we can only have only one of those three? Wind Warrior will need a buff up then, I think, to compare to Water Buffalo.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hm. Wind Warrior will definitely need something. I think it would be nice if WW could maybe get a blocking mechanic, as opposed to just being "the Psion version of Buffalo". There's already some difference between wolf and buffalo (static vs scaling). Giving the Warrior a different kind of love would be nice. Especially since non-Psions can't use it in the Space Station.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

linakrade wrote:Is this change going to also fix the issue of, say, having buffalo running and another player buffs you with wolf, screwing buffalo up?
ryme wrote:And, to the appreciation of many, I'm sure, that slot will be protected to prevent intentional or accidental interference from other players.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

No worries. But that's a big affirmative. No more griefing of other players, intentional or otherwise.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

linakrade wrote:I'm curious if it will bear a similarity to how accordian thief buffs work on KoL, blocking when you already have the maximum limit?
We will see. :)
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

More importantly, will the change in buff coding to provide for protection allow auras to be buffs now? >.>
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Read your post again, neo. Doesn't really make sense.

And I doubt Ryme is changing auras to buffs. Psions don't have any self-buffs without auras. Psions need the auras, too.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Auras were originally intended to be buffs. Remember? And my post made plenty of sense, you just phail at comprehending it.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Oh funny because Psions don't have any self-buffs then. Just about. Ignore Naturalists.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Elementals have only one self-buff.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

They still have one, regardless. And a crazy heal skill, so no complaining.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Okay:

1) Wolf, buffalo, and wind warrior are now classified as a sidekick-type of effect.

2) You can only have one of any sidekick at a time.

3) Right now you can't dismiss a sidekick, but very soon you will be able to.

4) Sidekicks still have a duration like other effects. However, this duration only decreases while patrolling (combat or noncombat), not by resting or the VR center or whatever.

5) Using a summon skill on yourself works as usual. Using a summon spell on someone else now gives them an item which they can use for summoning their own sidekick, at their leisure. No more being able to overwrite someone's sidekick!

6) There will be more sidekicks, and of more types, very soon.

7) Sidekicks always come with a little icon at the top of your left-hand character sheet, by your name, and they're always listed above other active effects in the lower left.

I think that's it for now.
Last edited by Ryme on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

:)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Old buffalo is borked...

Doesn't do anything (no text in combat), is down in the active effects list, and doesn't give the picture.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Old buffalo really isn't supposed to exist. In theory everything should have converted to the new one. It seems a few things snuck through. Perhaps if someone had cast a buff that was "waiting" for you to log in to get it? Maybe a couple of other quirks are out there - let me know if you've got a ton of the old buff sitting around and aren't getting anything.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Simply awesome.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

There was an error with the buffalo conversion. Should be fixed now, with minimal collateral damage. Let me know if there's anything really off.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hm. Just used a hologram on a multi and got the image. Looks like WW has a similar problem Buffalo did :/
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

The database doesn't seem to have any messed up entries in it. Maybe logout/login might fix? I'm guessing there's a page or function somewhere that isn't handling the new code quite right yet--if anyone can tell me what they're going when things go wonky, that might help.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yes, sorry. "combats" meant patrolling, noncombat or combat.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

There were some quirks for a few people, which I think I've mostly cleaned up. Let me know if anything remains quirky.