Twilight Forums

Idle chat for wannabe heroes
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 4271
Actually, I haven't decided yet.

It's gonna be one of three things.

1) like you suggest (perhaps with a cap short of 100%)
2) the "element" part will only be some fraction of the damage. Perhaps 50%. So 100% fire resistance really means you take 50% of the damage--the physical half. Or the scale could be 75/25 elemental/physical.
3) It could vary with the foe. Some foes would be 100% elemental and 100% resistance would block all damage, while other foes could be 25% elemental, so full resistance still leaves 75% damage.

Since 1 is potentially really powerful for the player and 3 is potentially complicated to track/code, I'm leaning towards 2, but it's not set in stone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:48 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 4271
Devant wrote:
Relative to the implementation, put a field of each damage type to the encounter table, inestead of doing complex manouvers to a single field..:P


I'm not sure I follow this bit, or you may be making assumptions about how damage works that aren't true. Currently foes have attack and defense power, just like heroes. So I don't set a damage range per foe, the calculations just work out based on relative power, plus some RNG. So while I guess I could split the attack powers between physical and elemental, I don't know that the numbers I'd have to work with would be very intuitive. (In other words, halving the power doesn't necessarily halve the damage.) I'd be far more likely to just add a percentage for how much is elemental, but then I've gotta adjust for resistance, damage reduction, and all kinds of stuff, all in fractional amounts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:01 am
Posts: 4568
Location: the Conservatory with the lead pipe
Actually, option 3 looks a lot like how KoL does it. You have purely elemental foes (Snow Queen) and you have foes that dish out elemental and are weak to it (Hippies), straight up physically resistant (Protector Spirits), and foes with elemental attacks but no elemental weaknesses (um... Furry Giants?).

_________________
Image
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group