How far can you level in 1 day?

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'm personally very interested in this, because it might tell me if things need adjusted any. I suspect that the XP range on some of the levels needs to be expanded a bit. I think I've heard Mad Hamish say he could get all the way to level 12 in a day, which just seems too high. It seems like for appealing game play it ought to take at least a couple or three days to get that far.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I don't know if Mad Hamish can hit level 12, but he can certainly hit 10.

Also, one dayers? What's your stance? Require some crazy amount of skills and items?
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Yes, but the question is, is there a major issue with that? Do you realize how much work there is in trying to do a transmogrified run? Mad Hamish doesn't put effort. He puts effort.

So, think about what it takes before you say something like that...
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Eh. Right now, this isn't striking me as a problem. It's sinking chips, phones, pills, and PP restores (I sucked down about 13 sky waters to buff Hamish with MD this morning) from the game. Also, any newer player that is mid level and needs chips can make them farming up pills in the Sanatarium.

Also, just because Hamish can rocket up to level 10 when transmogrifying, it doesn't mean he'll be able to do it after a retcon. Just like KoL (NS11), the hard part of a 1 day ascension wasn't getting the stat points, it was managing all the quests and miscellaneous hoops you had to jump through. If Hamish had to do all the quests again, I doubt he'd be getting nearly as far as he does now (for one thing, he wouldn't be jumping right to the Cube).

Finally, Hamish is a very experienced player with donation items. True newbies are rarely getting much past level 5 on the first day, and that seems fair to me. After all, it gives a great sense of accomplishment ("Wow! I leveled 4 times!"), and lets them experience quite a bit of the game, even on their first day. Right now, I'd say the XP levels are fine.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Dacada, what would you see as a solution the problem you've identified? I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I can cut down the number of minutes that carry over from day to day, so you don't bank as many by Frayday, but that's the only solution I can think of, and I'm not sure if you're requesting that or not.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I think this is only a problem because of the unfinished state of the game. Besides, if people really wanted to abuse Fraydays, they could just banks levels as well as time.

I don't much like the concept of limiting Fraydays, as having a ton of hours can be seen as a reward for holding off on your adventuring. I know both Icy and I are looking forward to that first Frayday after the cap is lifted...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Jony BS wrote:you want to reduce the amount we can get :shock:
Well, you're really only "losing" a few turns if it takes longer to level -- you still get them eventually, you just don't get quite as many adrenaline boosts on Day 1 -- after that the daily average probably doesn't change much. As for the option where you don't bank as many, you don't lose any turns if you log in regularly, you only lose them if you don't play for a week or more.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I'm not sure why we're all aiming to nerf levelling when this game isn't even out of public beta yet. Ryme is YET to implement quests, and they will certainly be much more complex than they are (I hope) right now. Let's give it some time, k?

I seriously see no problem with going as fast as people are right now, even with newer quests implemented. It's impossible to get a one dayer as the game stands, and that is one huge fundamental problem out of the way.

I can't believe we're starting another "Jickies" (sorry Jick; nothing against you, just everyone who "tries" to be with you) vs. speedsters war here. For Christ's sake.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

MagiNinjA wrote:I'm not sure why we're all aiming to nerf levelling when this game isn't even out of public beta yet. Ryme is YET to implement quests, and they will certainly be much more complex than they are (I hope) right now. Let's give it some time, k?
Tis better to piss off a fraction of twelve thousand players than a fraction of a million, right?

Seriously, I'm not talking about serious nerfage here, just a minor adjustment, possibly. And it's just a discussion, I'm not even doing anything. Ooops! My finger slipped! There went some of your hours. But we're talking about the rest--oops, slipped again! There go the rest of them! Ah, well, at least chat's still fun, right?
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

IMO the easiest way to nerf leveling is to cut the adrenaline rush in half. From 60 to 30 minutes. Narrative justification is unneeded.
Have a nice day.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Slicing the rush would probably work. I still think it should be kept in mind that we're talking about what people on the bleeding edge (or, as close as we have now) of speed. Cut things too much, and you'll hurt new players. Also, transmog speed probably has little to do how fast people will be able to level post-retcon.

But, still, if this is seriously a problem, adjust the transmogrification itself. We found an effective infinite turns bug with it and you didn't adjust leveling costs, you limited it to once per day. Want to slow down transmogrify runs? Make it take two hours to change the talisman, or make the experience of doing so cause such trauma to the body that you can't manage any more artificial stimulants (ie: the process requires 12 caffeine). Or something else along those lines. Neither of those changes would have any effect on the newbie.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

It's not only yours, Mad.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

That is one of the most well-thought-out posts I have ever read. Much applause for mad hamish, please.
Have a nice day.