scaling

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Monsters scale based on your level. You may need some different equipment, or perhaps you should try some spellslinging. Depends on your class.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Yeah, if only elementals had a scaling, uncapped spell they could use...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Smoot wrote:If only there was a significant way to get PP back.
There are several. Nothing's free, ace.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I don't follow your conclusion. Basically, because you don't understand the scaling mechanism, you're not playing?

Scaling, by definition, *scales*. So if you've got better abilities, your foe has better abilities. The whole point of scaling is you can't point to a stat and say "this should be enough to beat a foe that adapts to match me."

There are different ways in which things scale, and different ways in which you can try to take advantage of this (robots and the pit don't work the same way, and more space station stuff will work even different ways when it comes out). Experiment with boosting different abilities, or using different types of attacks, might be worthwhile.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Socket wrote:
I guess that while I understand the need for scaling monsters when levelling is open-ended, it feels weird that levelling almost becomes counter-productive after a point as your skills become increasingly irrelevant as you "get stronger".
\

I do kind of understand and there's a thread in the testing and debugging section if you've got specific suggestions.

But the goal with most of those zones ALSO includes "keep them challenging whether you're level 12 or level 120 because nothing else provides any difficulty at all." Which means under some circumstances they will be too tough, and under other circumstances they're too easy, and in between they're just right. I'm trying to find ways so that people can fine-tune the scaling spots (different ways for different zones) so that they can put themselves in the "just right" spot, with a little work.

Edited to add: most of my grumbliness in the previous post was in reaction to the statement "I have a single stat which I expect to put me above scaling creatures" which doesn't make much logical sense to me. Depending on how the scaling works, that one stat may very well be what's getting you in trouble, or it could be completely inconsequential to the matter. In the absence of research, it's a pretty meaningless thing to state. And it's even stranger to then conclude, "thus I'm unable to play." I don't get that at all.