Chip Sink Ideas

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

It would have to be pretty damn expensive. I see that as being more of a donation item.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

I would agree that this would be a very interesting mechanic, and probably be very fun. The problem I see is the coding and database design for it.
I had a similar idea for a project of my own, and believe me, it's not an easy thing to do.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I... don't think we need any kind of sink right now.

With the current prices of Silver Stars in the AH (~60-70k), I wager very few people have enough liquid cash to actually get a Gold Star. In order for something like this to be properly rare and expensive, it would probably need to be in the multiple Gold Star range.

Currency sinks are for when there is way too much liquid currency and the game is undergoing hyperinflation; not as a way to try and cynically gin up donations.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

I really have no idea what you are talking about. :P
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Stick figures? Magic? I'd be pretty loath to play in that kingdom.

Also, to clarify Cristiona's point, I think there's two things going on here. People are using the term chip sink, which is usually used in an economic context of price control, but in their case means "I've got meat and don't know where or how to spend it."

I empathize with wanting toys, and I also realize that with nothing to do with chips, there could easily be inflation in the near future, at which point we'll need a chip sink in the economic sense.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I think we're using the term "Chip Sink" improperly here. The real reason for such a thing wouldn't be to help the economy so much as it would be for getting to do something with all of our chips.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Socket wrote:a) inflation isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to think; b) demand for them is collapsing, or c) people are building multis to farm them.
Mostly B with a bit of C, I wager.

People are beginning to realize that an extra dozen or so adventures isn't worth two thousand (or more) chips.

However, if people really do have chips burning a hole in their pocket, then perhaps Display Cases would be a good idea. That could spur collecting, and start reshuffling chips around via the AH (which, through its cut, will reduce liquidity).
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Hey guys, how about waiting some couple of months before ragging on a new game?

I don't want to stop ideas, but really, demanding things now when Ascension isn't even implemented seems ridiculous to me. I'd say raise the issue when it rolls around.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I don't really see these as complaints, and I'm happy to dream up ways for you to spend your money -- they will be coming. But you may also consider saving/investing, as it may be useful later, too. It's not a glamorous thing to do with money, but it's practical.