history of the world

Off-topic posts about whatever, including off-the-wall posts about being on walls.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

history of the world

Post by Ryme »

After watching Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part 1, I kinda wish someone would make a sequel: Mel Gibson's History of the World, Part 2, starring James Brooks.

Or, at least, I thought that would be really funny. Until my wife pointed out that James Brooks is the producer from the Simpsons, and that the guy I was thinking of was James Woods.

So, while I stand by my theory that a movie run by Mel Gibson detailing the history of the world and acted out by James Woods would be hilarious, it doesn't have the same linguistic appeal as if his name was James Brooks. Ah, well.

I think maybe I'll borrow a friend's camcorder and do my own parody. I'll star as a series of famous historical figures, all of whom are working at their desks when someone else--also historical--walks in and asks how it's going. I'll say work is tough, drop a pun related to the character, and we'll cut to the next scene. I think it's got some YouTube potential, if nothing else. Now all I need is some free time. Like a few weeks of it.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

JEWS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! :D
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Cristiona wrote:JEWS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! :D
Y'know, I was watching those teasers at the end of the movie, and it seems to me that Jews in Space is essentially Spaceballs and "Hitler on Ice" is essentially "The Producers." I kinda feel like Mel Brooks got three movies out of that first set of ideas. Sure, he still had to make the other movies, but he was just stealing his own ideas at that point.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I suppose I can see vague connections, but Spaceballs and (especially) The Producers were much richer than the little snippets at the end of Part 1.

And, hey, Viking Funeral was pretty damn funny too, cheesey as it may have been.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the full movie was only as good as the short clips. I just think it's funny that they're essentially spinoffs from HotW.