Computer Overhaul

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinak
Site Admin

Computer Overhaul

Post by Kinak »

Hello! We've just pushed out a long-needed overhaul to the computer systems in game.

The first time you visit your computer lab, it should convert you to the new system. Your programs probably won't fire until you do, so I'd suggest a quick visit.

Feel free to just jump in. But, if you want to know what's up, read on.

Backstory:
The way the computer system was set up, it was very difficult to add new computers or software... which is why we basically never added any new computers or software.

So, although I think all these changes are good for the game, a lot of them are the result of back-end stuff so we can add more computers and software.

One Computer to Rule them All:
Labs now only have room for one computer, rather than two. The power of that computer determines how many programs you can run on it.

To go along with this, the interface has been retooled, so hopefully things will require less fiddly clicking to get what you want. As with all interface stuff, your mileage may vary.

Gadgeteers and Positronic Computers:
Back when computers were added, Gadgeteers had an edge in that only they could make positronic computers. That... didn't really last very long, because positronic computers are tradable.

With the reality in mind, anyone can now make positronic computers, although it requires level 3.

Positronics are able to run two programs at once, compared to electronics' single program.

The old bonus that positronics provided, making programs more powerful, is now folded in to the gadgeteer class itself. So regardless of what computer they're using, their programs are more effective.

If you are shedding a tear now at the loss of that bonus, we used our new "able to add computers" superpowers to add some computers that may ease your pain.

Decryption:
Decryption is no longer treated as a buff. It'll appear at the bottom of the left pane with the rest of your computer stuff.

Like Catalyzing, you can now queue up as many copies of something as you want.

Also, you can now switch programs or even computers while decrypting. Naturally, it'll stop progressing until you turn Vlad's Decryptonomicon back on.

Hamster Errr... Computer Dance:
Since computers were replaceable in run, but consumed when you retcon, the optimal strategy was to fidget around and replace positronics with electronics right before you hit the button.

That was just a hassle. Computers are no longer consumed by retconning. They'll drop into Deep Storage just like other equipment and can be removed from your lab if you have something you'd rather do with them.

Other Stuff:
There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, because we basically ended up rewriting the computer stuff from scratch.

We've done our best to make sure that the new code is bug free but... well, you know how that goes. Drop me a line if things get too weird.

Cheers!
Kinak
xKiv

Re: Computer Overhaul

Post by xKiv »

Hoo rays!
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

Great update! I look forward to exploring it further.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

And I look forward to new software :mrgreen:
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you're enjoying the update :D

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Patojonas wrote:And I look forward to new software :mrgreen:
>_>
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Thank you for the new easier-to-use interface, and for not having computers disappear after hitting the retcon button.
Kinak wrote:we used our new "able to add computers" superpowers to add some computers that may ease your pain.
Has anyone discovered any new computers yet? I haven't.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I have!

But I probably don't count.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I haven't seen them on the wiki yet, and no one has mentioned even looking for new computers in chat.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:Thank you for the new easier-to-use interface, and for not having computers disappear after hitting the retcon button.
You're welcome :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

So far, I've found one new computer.
Also, I discovered that electronic and positronic computers can be "assembled" with various types of hammers, returning some computer components.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!