Twilight Forums

Idle chat for wannabe heroes
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 am 

Hey all, thought I would give this game a try out and it all looks good. Decided on a psion so i guess i will have to see how that works out!

Guess I need to hit up the wiki for some tips for newbies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:30 am 

erfMortium wrote:
Hey all, thought I would give this game a try out and it all looks good. Decided on a psion so i guess i will have to see how that works out!

Guess I need to hit up the wiki for some tips for newbies.

Welcome! So you just came over and picked the hardest class. I like you already!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:54 am 

Oh believe me, if I have a choice of 2 options, I get it wrong. Four options, nope. Still wrong. 100 options....maybe I don't screw up.

:)

Any tips on skill distribution would be greatly appreciated. The way I see it, PPs for psion are there for after fight healing and to put up Vim?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 am 

erfMortium wrote:
Oh believe me, if I have a choice of 2 options, I get it wrong. Four options, nope. Still wrong. 100 options....maybe I don't screw up.

:)

Any tips on skill distribution would be greatly appreciated. The way I see it, PPs for psion are there for after fight healing and to put up Vim?

I need to talk to you about my favourite Talisman, the Futility Belt. Better yet, I bet one of my alts has a spare I will send it to you.

There are some mobs which are Psion immune, there is a skill called electronic understanding which will alleviate that issue, but it is level 11 so do not count on it. Psions can control the combat vs non-combat distribution with mental magnetism, but again that is a high level skill. As an early Psion I would probably just work on 4 skills: Vim, Mind Jab, Premonition and Knit bone.

Each time you complete a retcon worth more than 1 mettle you can perm a skill. I do my first 4 retcons to level 16, perm the level 16 skill, do the next 4 to level 15... perming the level 15 skills, then 14 and so on. That's me, however and not you, You should play it how you enjoy it. Feel free to explore and just have fun. If you get frustrated, ask someone, or level up and come back to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:34 am 

Just so you know, the futility belt will make runs harder, but can be used to unlock interesting goodies if used correctly.

Feel free to take a look around my primary character's profile: Khal Thralkhar If you have other questions, just ask.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard!

RKBrumbelow has some good advice for where to put skill points. If you're not having to use Knit Bone too much, you're probably fine not using Mind Jab. If you're getting hurt a lot (especially if you're missing a lot), Mind Jab can be more effective.

The formulas for a lot of the skills can be found in the manual, if you're the number-crunching type. If not, I'd just stick with what feels right.

Also, the futility belt (although hilarious) probably isn't great until you have your legs under you :)

But, hope you enjoy yourself and feel free to pepper us with questions.

Cheers!
Kinak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:52 am 

Kinak wrote:
Also, the futility belt (although hilarious) probably isn't great until you have your legs under you :)

I may be the only person to do more than 1 Maso(the most difficult retcon type) Psion Futility Belt Retcon I am very certain I am the only person who will ever go into double digits.

And, in all fairness, I did say it would make the runs harder ;) But let me tell you After a Maso Futility Psion run, a Trainee Naturalist is like a warm fire in a blizzard.

Besides, you should listen to the real person in charge, Cristiona, not some slacker developer (Kinak) or Sadist player (me)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:16 pm 

What's an Erf?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:03 pm 

Theo wrote:
What's an Erf?

http://www.erfworld.com/

Since I have not yet Groked it, you will have to experience it via the link above, or await someone with a clue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Theo wrote:
What's an Erf?
Erf is the setting for Erfworld, which RKBrumbelow linked. It's sort of to turn-based wargames as Twilight is to superheroes. The people living there take it seriously, despite being equal parts loving parody and pop culture reference.

Cheers!
Kinak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:27 pm 

erfMortium wrote:
The way I see it, PPs for psion are there for after fight healing and to put up Vim?

There's also always resting.

That being said, if you're wanting to hit things with a stick, Vim is certainly the way to go. It's a big help, especially as you add skill points.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:32 pm 

Thanks for the tips and donations. I really appreciate it! Now I just need to learn more about what and when I can retcon, what perming skills really means too. Wiki here I come!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:37 pm 

Maybe when I get some form of PP regen then blasting things with my mind will make more sense...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:30 pm 

So Erf is Serious Business?

Always good to see cross overs from other communities.

erfMortium Hopefully the Buffs Videocq sent you helped some. Included in what I sent you from that account are some things which will get you an animal sidekick for a bit.

As for PP regen There are skills and items that will provide turn by turn regen and vampirism as well as things you can consume which will also work to replace your PPs You will discover them as time goes on. I recommend you not dig to much in the wiki immediately as it is certainly not a spoiler free zone. There are also some chunks missing as well. I am not saying avoid it, just use it sparingly at the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:18 pm 

I guess we will find out when I wake up next :)

I have a car now! Better than my rust but trusty bike. I propose a name change for that item now though!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 am 

Thanks to all for the buffs and items. Somehow I got a nice weapon called Shadow that obliterated everything I shot it at. I get a feeling that it was connected with the talisman somehow?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 am 

Shadow is one of the Seven Armaments of Destiny; it will disappear at rollover but you always have a chance of getting it or one of the others again. There are conditions you have to meet for each, and if you do you will be part of Fate's "raffle" to decide who gets which weapon at rollover.

Also, if you click on the item picture you'll get a pop up box that gives a description of effects and tells you it's rental equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 pm 

You guys are so kind. I now have a couple of positronic computers in my hideout and have rebuffs. Thanks Harry et al.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:32 pm 

erfMortium wrote:
You guys are so kind. I now have a couple of positronic computers in my hideout and have rebuffs. Thanks Harry et al.

Harry is kind, the rest of us just fake it on occasion. We won't tell you why though.bwahahaha

ProTip: When retconning make sure you replace your positronic comps with cheaper electronic ones as when you actually use the retcon portal you lose the computers in your hideout.

Also, If Jetpack/ Harry set you a jetpack, make sure to take the time to build one yourself. It is kind of a right of passage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:58 pm 

Thanks for the tip. Do you lose all your items when retconning too or do you put them in storage somehow?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 pm 

erfMortium wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Do you lose all your items when retconning too or do you put them in storage somehow?

Some items (quest ones mostly) do not carry over. Depending on the kind of retcon you do, and there are 360 variations possible currently, you may have access to none, 1, a few, many or all of your previous gear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:47 pm 

Holy retcon's! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 pm 

I could be happy to plug a few dollars into the game for some stars/IoTM. Are any of this months good?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 pm 

The current Item of the Month, the Costunomicon, has been pretty well received, and is a rather fun little item that grants you a skill.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 am 
Site Admin

erfMortium wrote:
I could be happy to plug a few dollars into the game for some stars/IoTM. Are any of this months good?
The only one that's actually monthly is the Costunomicon, which is one of my all-time favorites. But that doesn't mean it's good, necessarily, just that I enjoyed making it and hiding stuff in it :) As Cristiona said, folks seem to like it.

Some version of the talismans are always available, switching up every December. That makes them less urgent. They're nice for shoring up areas you're having problems with, but switching talismans costs a percentage of your total XP, so it's best to do at the beginning of a retcon.

That said, anything you donate goes towards the "server maintenance and letting Kinak do this full time" fund, so is much appreciated!

Cheers!
Kinak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:12 am 

erfMortium wrote:
Holy retcon's! :)

BTW I was Wrong. Cris pointed out to me last night I had forgotten a variable or so. There are 1680 retcon variations currently available So assuming you could get to the point where you, on average, do a retcon every 4 days it would take 5041 days ((N-1)*3)+4 or ~13.8 years. Of course you can only currently use about 750 skill points so by then every skill would be maxed by level 6 ;)

Just to give you an idea of where that stands: Harry is our retcon leader at 234 (as of looking today) and the next closest is Jesus @ 156 then Zillow @ 152, no one else is even in the same league right now (150 +)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:20 pm 

Phew. So I'm just about to take on Mick by the looks of things. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

erfMortium wrote:
Phew. So I'm just about to take on Mick by the looks of things. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Cheers!
Kinak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:45 pm 

Couldn't kill him. Guess I grind to level 12 and hope I can kill him then. Unless he scales with level too, in which case that might not work!

Can I ask by the way, what is the point of increasing foe toughness? I have some items (not equipped) that grant it as an effect. Why would I want harder enemies? More XP/items/chips?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm 

Tougher foes means more XP, but not more items or chips.

EDIT: Perhaps I should explain a little bit more. Increasing foe toughness makes combats harder to win, but you get more XP. That is why enchantments that simply give you +XP per combat are either harder to get than +Foe Toughness or have higher level requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 am 

You get 1 extra XP point for every 2 points of Foe Toughness, if I remember correctly. Good for power leveling through retcons, not good for new players who don't have all the gear they need to withstand all the extra damage enemies are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:24 am 

Ok, here's a question then. Retcon's. Is there a point where they become pointless?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:31 am 

There is an argument to be made that once you have permed all the skills you want and have unlocked all the kit you seek retconning becomes pointless. That being said, over 10 of us have in excess of 100 retcons, 3 over 150 and 1 (harry) over 200.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:44 am 

There's exactly 73 skills in the game that can be permed - although Cristiona has said that there's another needed skill that "hasn't been forgotten" so lets' pretend 74, because it'll eventually come out.

(Not counting auto-perm skills like Precompletion Pro or Fortune Cookies)

So, theoretically, assuming "getting new skills" is your only reason for retconning, then 75 retcons later (since you don't get a skill for your first run) you might start thinking it's pointless.

But there's other rewards for retcons. Skill points, for instance. Also once-per-run drops.

Plus there might simply be joy you find in retconning. Some people don't enjoy that, and spend their time in aftercon. From what I hear there's some great quest in the latter 30s. I personally just find enough joy in retconning (and lack the joy in level-grinding) that I'll probably not experience that content for a good long time. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm 

Lxndr wrote:
But there's other rewards for retcons. Skill points, for instance.

I just started getting 17 points per level. And I am only about 1/2 a Harry in retcon counts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:15 pm 

What happens to IOU points by the way? Are they reset each time you retcon? I knew I should have spent them but I was saving them up for the 200 mark :(

Last edited by erfMortium on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

erfMortium wrote:
What happens to ICU points by the way? Are they reset each time you retcon? I knew I should have spent them but I was saving them up for the 200 mark :(

ICU?

IOUs carry over. I don't know what an ICU point is though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:19 pm 

My mistake. I was playing a game made by ICU earlier :) I meant IOU's of course. And phew! Must be the style of retcon I'm doing. Why did I choose Maso to start with? I think everyone does, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 pm 

erfMortium wrote:
My mistake. I was playing a game made by ICU earlier :) I meant IOU's of course. And phew! Must be the style of retcon I'm doing. Why did I choose Maso to start with? I think everyone does, lol.

Maso's are for Masochists. Even Chris just does heirlooms and she is doing easy ones at that. I am trying to save up a certain run limited item right now, so I am just retconning as quickly as is feasible for me.

As to ICU vs IOU, meh we all make mistakes, heck you had me checking my inventories for icu points.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:49 pm 

Do you want to know something funny?

I just read the synopsis on the game website. For some reason my brain read:

Strange breasts roam the sewers. I was totally laughing my head off when I re-read it!