March 2013 Crafting Contest - Closed

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinak
Site Admin

March 2013 Crafting Contest - Closed

Post by Kinak »

It's been a while since we've had a crafting contest around these parts and, with Catalyze using skill points, it seems like a good time for one!

The idea's pretty simple: introduce a new item and a crafting recipe that fits it. If it's cool, funny, and fits in, it'll get added to the game. And you'll get fabulous prizes.

What kinds of recipes?
Welding, Assembly, Catalyze, or Metalmorph. Whatever you want. Just make sure it fits into the current structure if you're adding Catalyze or Metalmorph.

How should it be formatted? Include a recipe and a description for the new item. Be sure to mention what type of crafting it's for. You don't need to include stats, we'll take care of that.

For example:
Mr. Example wrote:Welding yuggothium + Monarch butterfly pin = king in yellow pin

This pin is so mysterious, no one has even heard of it. And those who who have heard of it dare not speak its name.
For Catalyze and Metalmorph, you'd only have one ingredient up front (so tok'l ore = yuggothium), but otherwise that's the same.

How should the item fit into the recipe? You can have the new item be the result or one of the ingredients. Only one new item per recipe, though.

How many can you submit? Each person can submit one entry for each type of crafting. If you win more than once you get more prizes.

Who'll be judging these? Just me. This means everyone (except me) is welcome to entering, including devteam members.

What can you win? Special items that I'll only be granting for contests like this one. The creator of each implemented item will get one and the best handful may just receive something special on top of that.

Entries will close on March 20th and I'll announce the winners on the next podcast.

Let me know if there are any questions about the rules. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing everyone's entries.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Re: March 2013 Crafting Contest

Post by Satan »

flashlight +(assembly) focusing mirror = laser sword

Don't ask me how it works. You're wearing a magical talisman that gives you super powers, why can't this be a laser sword?

pile of bricks +(weld) gold foil = foil's gold bricks

These gold plated bricks almost look good enough to pass as the real thing. Almost. Still, they've got to be worth more than a pile of bricks.

item ->(catalyze) the most interesting item in the world

You don't always carry around generic items, but when you do....

pronged javelin ->(metal morph) quadrident

Now with 200% more prongs!
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Kinak wrote:What can you win? Special items that I'll only be granting for contests like this one. The creator of each implemented item will get one and the best handful may just receive something special on top of that.
You evil bastard :P
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Cristiona wrote:You evil bastard :P
I'm a bad man :D

Cheers!
Kinak
Airstrike

Post by Airstrike »

Item W Nicknack = Thingamabob
You don't know what this is, or what it does. You're itching to try it out. It will certainly surprise any gobbledygook or riffraff villain who comes your way. Combat usable

Diamond Dagger of Daring Do + Schrodinger's Box = Mighty Musket of Miraculous Mayhem
Ranged Weapon, 100 power
+2% XP, 3 extra Ranged attacks per turn
Looks like you learned a thing or two from the hint givers. Keep it up, and you'll probably have other heroes come to you as well. You have made your mentors proud!

Use a Pearl of Wisdom when equipped with a Flashlight:
Paradox Noct
+10% to initiative, 5% chance to stun foes, -15% Reflexes
Dark as night and black as a new moon, this strange orb allows you to meld into the shadows, making you invisible to foes. You know that any attack from the shadows is sure to startle the foe, so this comes at an advantage. Of course any sudden moves will break the effect, so you have to stand very still. It also won't work during the day, but that is no big problem here in Twilight.

W = weld
Last edited by Airstrike on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Entries:

(Welding) filigreed foil hat + scavenged death ray = Mind-Control Hat
Alien technology or a toy from a cereal mail-in promotion?

(Assembly) sling + combat paperclip = hornet
Guaranteed to sting!

(Catalyze) legal briefs = Debriefed
I swore I was wearing pants....

(Metalmorph) Frying pan = China-Wok
Everything seems to taste better from this.

(Catalyze) Box of files = Box of flies
It's better than opening a can of worms we think.

(Metalmorph) Brass knuckles = Copper knuckles
They look a bit more steampunk now, but where did this gear come from and what is it for?

(Catalyze) Epic mop = Lousy Squeegee
It makes your windows even worse!

(Assembly) swingline stapler + combat paperclip = office supply bomb
Office warfare just got dangerous.
Last edited by Theo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

(Assembly) nicknack + Snacker's candy bar = snicker-snack
Developed as a treat for thankless children, these were marketed as "a candy with flavor sharper than a serpent's tooth". More than a few parents lost their heads, however, when their children lost their tongues to the patented razor-blade formula.

(Catalyze) That's my car = alien hot-rod
Just be careful where you point the Photon Accelerator Annihilation Beam...

(Welding) yuggothium + shimmering chaos = Crown of 'Umr At-Tawil
This pulsing circlet of black glass once crowned the brow of the powerful avatar of the primal nuclear chaos seething in the center of the universe. The single gem set in the center of the diadem was once known as the Eye of the Abyss, and was said to contain visions of the death of time and space. Anyone who sees you wearing this crown can't help but stare, so be sure to stare right back. With your fists.

(Metalmorph) Paradox Naught = Immutable Rule
This is one of the unchanging laws of the universe, as laid down in the pages of the necronomicon. You're not exactly sure what it means, or what it let's you do, but it's still comforting to know that it would take a unanimity of divine forces to even think of messing with it.

---
EDIT: Didn't read the rules fully, but I don't want to ditch these. Use them if you like, but my official entries are above the line.

(Catalyze) Buzzing dew = resonant mead
Distilled from honey drawn from the hives of astral insects, this mead is guaranteed to leave you feeling either particularly buzzed, or really spacey.

(Welding) yuggothium + robotics kit = space robot
This is the pusher robot. Or is it the shover robot? Either way, he is here to protect you (and your enemies) from the terrible secret of space. Please go stand by the stairs.

(Welding) yuggothium + Paradox Naught = Dream Key
This burnished gold key unlocks gates built by the vast, loathsome shapes that seeped down from the dark stars. It is warm to the touch, makes your skin itch, and smells like fudge.

(Welding) yuggothium + music box = box of ear worms
This twisted black box composed of impossible angles and maddening edges serves as a prison for the darkest and most insidious horrors of man's creation. Once released from their enclosure, these terrible beings burrow in the psyche of anyone nearby and devour their sanity bit by bit, until all that remains is a gibbering mass of mewling meat. Delicious with sriracha.
Last edited by Isladar on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware

Post by Hardware »

I must put my ideas together for this. Perhaps I'll have something by the end of the day.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

King of Armageddon + Queen of the Apocalypse = Little Baby Oblivion
You've never seen this chess piece before. Actually, you didn't even think this sort of thing was possible, but you have proof to the contrary right in front of you. It looks pretty dangerous, but considering its parents, that shouldn't be too unexpected.

misc item
Item cannot be traded or sold
Item cannot be auto-sold
Combat usable

With a shocking disregard for propriety, you flick Little Baby Oblivion at you opponent. By the time the dust and smoke clear, there's not much left. [Instant-kill on copyable foes, 90% on non-copyable]
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Hardware

Post by Hardware »

Decided to remove my entries.
Last edited by Hardware on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Say, if I propose an item being made with metalmorph but you think it would be better suited for the catalyzer, would you still consider it? (not only for implementation but also for the prizes)
darkzumi

Post by darkzumi »

Assemble Recipe (Gigantic Sword + Sharpshooter's Rifle = Gigantic Blade Launcher)
Back in the Golden Days of Twilight, some "genius" decided to make a gun that shot little blades instead of bullets. While it seemed a novel idea, it was less than effective in battle. The accuracy and range was terrible, it was easier to just use guns that fire conventional bullets. The weapon never sold and faded into obscurity. Now, a certified genius hero (appropriately named The Certified Genius) has reinvented that idea, and taken it to whole NEW extremes! It's said the blueprints "took a level in badass" under his re-imagining.

Welding Recipe (Pentium + Yuggothium = Hellium? Cthulhuium? Cthulhumite?)
I'm not sure you realized while making this... thing, but this IS a game about heroes and NOT villains, you get me? This abomination of metallurgy ranks right up there with Pandora's Box, what were you thinking when you made it?! I don't know what's worse, the way it shines with The Light Of What Should Not Be, or the terrible murmuring sounds it makes that sound like Secrets Man Was Not Meant To Know...
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

(welding) lover's locket + yuggothium = Dream Crest of Unknown Kadath :mrgreen:

(combination) bubble gum + Gingerette black = bubblegum pop

(catalyze) item = potion
[When used: It tastes even blander than water. I didn't think that was even possible.
The potion effects an effect upon you. You gain an effect: Effect]
You've been affected by an effect. Or maybe it's just an affect.

(metalmorph) big rock = glam rock

EDIT: Made more effective [in square brackets].
Last edited by Sanjuro on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Sanjuro's totally trying to steal my job :cry:
acidcat

Post by acidcat »

Welding:
Yuggothium and Cat's Eye amulet - Evil eye

Catalyze:
The undiet soda - Full-fat energy drink

Metalmorph:
Fusion octotron component - Frusion octotron component
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Well, I'm not the one who's insulting the boss. :P

Anyway, I like debriefed and the blade launcher.
But I don't understand the need for acidcat's metalmorph idea. I mean, wouldn't it just be a waste of PP to metalmorph a fusion resistor into a fusion resistor?

EDIT: Oh, I get it, turn it into a different component. Um, never mind what I said earlier.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Sanjuro wrote:
Well, I'm not the one who's insulting the boss. :P

Anyway, I like debriefed and the blade launcher.
But I don't understand the need for acidcat's metalmorph idea. I mean, wouldn't it just be a waste of PP to metalmorph a fusion resistor into a fusion resistor?

EDIT: Oh, I get it, turn it into a different component. Um, never mind what I said earlier.
Frusion, not fusion.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Sanjuro wrote:EDIT: Oh, I get it, turn it into a different component. Um, never mind what I said earlier.
Actually, using Catalyze to cycle fusion parts into other parts kind of makes sense. And if it was $random_new_item, it wouldn't be broken. Might be useless, but not broken.
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Cristiona wrote:Actually, using Catalyze to cycle fusion parts into other parts kind of makes sense. And if it was $random_new_item, it wouldn't be broken. Might be useless, but not broken.
Oh, I wouldn't mind being able to turn a fusion CO2 unit into a Hero's Cape or Seppia's Cephalopod Skullcap. :D
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Metalmorph

oculum felis => oculum tigris

Having overcome a challenge of fire, this gadget was imbued with the spirit of survival, you know, the kind of willpower that gets sailors through a shipwreck.
As a hero you don't get to sail much, but you do get to fight for your life often, so it should help. Did I mention that it looks like an amber eye staring fiercely?

Catalyze

groundwater => alien mineral water

You know what's better than a jug filled with water retrieved from a puddle in an alien world?
That's right, a jug filled with water retrieved from a puddle in an alien world that has been filtered into a pristine fluid in order to bring out that delicious aftertaste you can't quite describe.
Which is to be expected, after all, its alien!

Assembly

eponymous nail gun + nail file = file gun

The worst nightmare of any artificial intelligence, this weapon targets their data storage, destroying precious bytes, crippling their processes and crashing their system in shades of blue.
Seriously, don't ask. you made it, be happy about it.

(due to its particular nature I guess 0 power and + X/Y damage to electronic/positronic robots)

Welding

special wooden cup + cryonite = cup of justice

Finally, you managed to get you hands on the hero's ultimate talisman, the cup of Justice! Uhh, wait...just ice? *sigh*
Disappointment aside, this perpetually frozen cup envelops you with a chilly aura, making an ally out of the desert's cold nights. Cool huh?
Last edited by Patojonas on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Airstrike

Post by Airstrike »

I know, I changed my entries twice. Its a habit of mine.
Lxndr

Post by Lxndr »

Catalyze:

morning star -> mourning star

(no new items here)

----

weld:

Hollow seahorse-duck + well-worn van:

new vehicle: Duck-billed platybus
Alexander Cherry
Twisted Confessions
Airstrike

Post by Airstrike »

I just came up with a new idea

Catalyze: moltinium => plasmodium
This gross-looking substance needs to be kept contained in a biohazard container because if any of it gets on you will get infected. All that is known about it is that there is about two-hundred kinds of this stuff, and you probably have one of the eleven that affects humans. Also, I would stock up with mosquito repellent when you work with it, just in case.
Spoiler: show
This stuff refers to the Plasmodium species of protozoa, which includes those that cause malaria. Mosquitoes are a common vector of these guys. First, the little bugger bites an infected host, allowing the protozoa to enter. The parasites grow in the bug, then the mosquito bites a new host which allows the protozoa to enter the bloodstream. Nasty.
The Leopard

Post by The Leopard »

Assemble: spinel ion stone + soft shoes = spinel tap shoes
Most shoes can comfortably fit ten toes, but these go up to eleven.

Metalmorph: golden apple->platinum pear
If holding a golden apple isn't ostentatious enough for you, consider a platinum pear! Whether it's a prestigious award that signifies you've sold 1,000,000 pears, or a status symbol that increases your credit limit, a platinum pear means you've hit the big time!

Weld: verse of the dodo + yuggothium = curse of the dodo
Great. You've played the verse of the dodo backwards and unleashed a curse that will bring you closer to your own extinction.

(I may edit/add to these if I can think of anything better before the deadline ends today. I could've sworn I had a million ideas a minute ago...)

Thanks, Kinak, for holding this contest!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

The contest is officially closed. Thanks to everyone for participating!

I'm rounding up the entries now and will announce the winners on the next podcast.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Re: March 2013 Crafting Contest - Closed

Post by Satan »

Is the octotron component cycling implemented with the rest of the winning craftables, or is that coming later?
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Satan wrote:Is the octotron component cycling implemented with the rest of the winning craftables, or is that coming later?
Everything should be in, but a few things changed here and there.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

Found it. But I have no motivation to see how it works, I've already got my fusion octotron :p