New Year's Podcast Thread - With Podcast

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinak
Site Admin

New Year's Podcast Thread - With Podcast

Post by Kinak »

It was discussed some in the State of the Game thread that we should do another podcast.

Edit: The podcast is available here.

My introductory podcast can be found here and the first podcast can be found here.

So, here's the deal: If you have a question you'd like answered or a topic you'd like me to expound on, go ahead and ask here. Try to keep questions/topics brief and resist the urge to answer questions, even if you already know them. Otherwise I'll lose track of what's going on.

I'm about to leave on a jetplane, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be back by January 1st. I'll probably be doing the podcast around then. So if you need a few days to drum up questions, you should have until then.

Cheers!
Kinak
Patojonas

Re: New Year's Podcast Thread

Post by Patojonas »

1 - So, as usual, what stuff are you working on at the moment :?:

2 - Any progress on the advertising front :?: (was reminded of it when I saw this, seemed like an interesting approach :lol: )

3 - What about PvP :?:

4 - Will there be a (mustache/beard/facial air in general) themed area :?: Rofl, maybe associated with a B-quest :lol:

5 - Who named the Salt of the Earth skill :?:

I guess I asked a lot, but, its not like you have to answer them all :roll: Hope you have some nice vacations :!:
Satan

Post by Satan »

Has the secret pig level reached completion yet?
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Theo

Post by Theo »

Satan wrote:Has the secret pig level reached completion yet?
And does said secret pig level involve throwing pigs into magical bags after they steal gold?
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

When will we get the pinata tails, pinata eye fireball shooters, and pinata ass lightingbolt projectors that have been demanded in chat?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Any chance of getting a native, player-customizable outfit system? I'd love to be able to change all my gear in a click or two, during retcons with pulls as well as my post-retcon farming.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve. I'm officially back in Columbus, so will be tackling these in the next few days.

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

The podcast is available here.

It's about half an hour long. Hopefully it's enlightening or enjoyable.

Cheers!
Kinak
Harry Dresden

Re: New Year's Podcast Thread - With Podcast

Post by Harry Dresden »

I'll get a transcript typed up tomorrow.
Satan

Post by Satan »

I have it on good authority that the secret pig level was under development at some point <.<
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Harry Dresden wrote:I'll get a transcript typed up tomorrow.
Thanks Harry!
Satan wrote:I have it on good authority that the secret pig level was under development at some point <.<
There is no secret pig level :P

Cheers!
Kinak
Hardware

Post by Hardware »

Kinak wrote:There is no secret pig level :P
That's exactly what you'd say if you wanted to keep it a secret! 8)
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, Kinak. I now wonder if were-code helps or hinders development. Maybe it's a break-even. :D
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Abridged transcript:

KinakGreetings, and welcome to the first TH podcast of 2013. 2012 was a rough year for Mr and Mrs Kinak, with personal losses and job issues, so we're hoping 2013 is a much better year. Kinak lost his job during the Christmas holidays, so in an effort to help with costs Twilight Heroes is going to move to a cheaper and better hosting solution. As probably mentioned in a previous podcast, TH is currently on a hosting plan that gives much more bandwidth than needed with our playerbase. Also, Kinak is going to try and make TH and Metroplexity full time jobs instead of work on the side. Fingers crossed!

QuestionWhat stuff are you working on at the moment?
AnswerServer change that was mentioned. Coding Catalyze to work with skill points currently. Cool new crafting! Also working on more League stuff, and PvP.

QuestionAny progress on the advertising front?
AnswerStill think advertising is a very good idea and still intend to go forward with that, probably using Project Wonderful. It lets you do very small, very targeted ad buys. In the ads we want to match the tone of TH, but the login page currently doesn't really match the tone of the game itself. Redesign of the login page may be required before trying to advertise to draw in new players.

QuestionWhat about PvP?
AnswerNo new coding on it yet, but there will be a replacement system. Thinking right now is that there will be a less directly confrontation PvP and more of a race type model. Something that needs more strategy, possibly with a reward handed out at rollover to whoever does the best in the day. Couple of things Kinak would like to do - bring it more into the tone of the game, and also keep it as friendly as possible for retconners so they can compete just as well as people who are level 100. Also would like to have it be somehow integrated into Leagues.

QuestionWill there be a facial hair themed area?
AnswerNot foreseen as an immediate content vector.

QuestionWho named the Salt of the Earth skill?
AnswerThink that was Ryme, but Kinak is unsure. He always associated that phrase as a kind of backhanded comment, due to Blazing Saddles, but he realized it's a good thing while working on the skill. (Harry note - I could look it up and provide the answer, but I'm lazy.)

QuestionHope you have some nice vacations.
AnswerKinak reminisces about a trip to San Diego and then Oakland, spending time with family.

QuestionHas the secret pig level reached completion?
AnswerThat was an '09 project that was revised a couple of times. You missed out on the head of the Boar king. /end sarcasm

QuestionAnd does said secret pig level involve throwing pigs into magical bags after they steal gold?
AnswerWell it doesn't JUST involve throwing pigs into magical bags after they steal gold.

QuestionWhen will we get the pinata tails, pinata eye fireball shooters, and pinata ass lightingbolt projectors that have been demanded in chat?
AnswerI would not be surprised to find a pinata tail. I would be surprised to find a pinata ass lighting bolt projector.

QuestionAny chance of getting a native, player-customizable outfit system? I'd love to be able to change all my gear in a click or two, during retcons with pulls as well as my post-retcon farming?
AnswerI have not been in the wear code (were-code?) enough to say for sure whether that would be doable. Shouldn't be that hard, but it's not something immediately on my radar. It would be nice to have an outfit system.

KinakKind of suprised no one asked about badges that haven't been found yet. There are 5 or 6 of them, perhaps. Also would like to get some more B quests in this year. I will try to keep everyone posted about the server move and advertising.
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Thanks for the transcript, Harry!
Hawksmoor wrote:Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, Kinak. I now wonder if were-code helps or hinders development. Maybe it's a break-even. :D
You're welcome :) And I'm pretty sure it depends on the phase of the moon.
Hardware wrote:That's exactly what you'd say if you wanted to keep it a secret! 8)
<_< >_> *ninja vanish*

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

When were you in San Diego? We could have met in the Gaslamp District if I had known you were in town!
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:When were you in San Diego? We could have met in the Gaslamp District if I had known you were in town!
We were there for a pretty tight window around Christmas... the 22nd through 26th or so.

It sort of snuck up on me, but there's actually a pretty good chance we'll be out again next year. Hope to see you if we do :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

I'm moving back to Honolulu later this month. Oh well.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Good stuff. The park with the zoo and museums is Balboa Park.
Next time you're in SD, you should check out the Wild Animal Park, too, if you've not already.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Sanjuro wrote:I'm moving back to Honolulu later this month. Oh well.
Bummer... well, not a bummer to be moving to Honolulu, because Honolulu, but bummer I missed you. Enjoy Hawai'i!
Olaf wrote:Good stuff. The park with the zoo and museums is Balboa Park.
Balboa! Yes, thank you.
Olaf wrote:Next time you're in SD, you should check out the Wild Animal Park, too, if you've not already.
Oh yeah, my relatives mentioned that ruled. *adds to list*

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Outfits were a big more challenging than I expected, but are in now. Enjoy!

Cheers!
Kinak
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Woo! Obviously I'm very happy to see this happen. Thanks so much, Kinak!
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

now that was pleasantly fast, thanks!

Then again, yesterday was the full moon, so it really was werecode! :lol:
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Hawksmoor wrote:Woo! Obviously I'm very happy to see this happen. Thanks so much, Kinak!
You're welcome :)
Patajonas wrote:now that was pleasantly fast, thanks!

Then again, yesterday was the full moon, so it really was werecode! :lol:
A fortunate coincidence... or is it? Dun dun dunnnnnnn!

Cheers!
Kinak