Create an image of something you would see in one of the zones of Twilight city.
July 5, 2011. Contest closes at rollover on the 5th (which I realize is the morning of the 6th in places far east of the US). Judging to be completed by the 15th. Prizes to be distributed by the 20th.
To be determined in the next few days. Images will be used in-game for some special flavor content, but only one for each zone. Rather than having first/second/third place prizes, all selected pictures will win the same prize.
1. The goal is to capture something that fits well in any one of our existing zones where you can adventure (i.e., streets of downtown, or Area 54, etc.). It doesn't have to be related to a specific foe or noncombat, just something that captures the essence of what you'd expect from that location. Example: a hero perched on top of a gargoyle at the edge of a rooftop, peering over a city scape, might be a good "rooftops over downtown" image. I'll try to post some visual examples, if I can come up with some.
2. It should be something that I can make game art out of, which requires either photography, or a fairly detailed sketch, or 3D computer graphics. I'm not too picky about which, and you can blend all of the above, as long as I can get the final product to look consistent. Your art does not (should not) be in TH style, just a normal photorealistic image. Color is not only allowed, but encouraged.
3. Images should be at least 300x225 pixels. Bigger is fine, smaller is not, both vertical or horizontal is acceptable. The final image will be in a 4:3 ratio, so if you make something that's square, I will end up cropping it.
4. Three entries max per person, for now. I'm not sure how many people will want to do this. That's more for your sanity than my own, just to keep anyone from going too crazy. Subject to change if not many people enter, or a lot of people say they have ideas for more than three zones.
5. Post your entries with at minimum the name of the zone they're trying to match, and perhaps with a sentence or three of description, if you like.
6. For each zone, only one image can be a winner. There may be strategic value in picking images for zones other people aren't submitting for.
7. Most of the judging weight will be placed on sheer visual interest, with the remainder being based on the image's fit for the zone. Humor is neither encouraged nor discouraged.
8. To clarify, "zones" means places you can adventure, like your neighborhood, the cube theater, the depths of space, etc. Just about anything in the "Patrol" sections of the map. Any place where you can't adventure is out -- no shops, no NPC's, no training centers.
9. I'm probably forgetting some stuff. Ask questions if you need clarification.