Mystery: links at top stop working

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Mystery: links at top stop working

Post by Ryme »

I get two or three of these a day. Basically, the report is that the links a the top of the game stop working--clicking on any of them takes the player to the same place. This often the main map, but occasionally it seems to be the fight page or something else.

I'm not changing anything with the header, and as the game continues to work properly for everyone else, I don't think it's an actual change. Usually it's fixed by either logging out/in or closing the browser entirely and restarting it. So it seems obvious that the symptom is on the player's end, but it happens often enough that I'm wondering if there is any indirect cause from the game?

Anyone who's decent with web stuff might be able to look at the urls of the links and see if they're actually changing I don't think they do but I want to make sure. For security's sake, if you post any links, please remove the "pwd=whatever" part of it.

Any insight would be appreciated. It happens too rarely for me to be able to test.
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

As oeb says.

The top frame occasionally becomes 'dead'. This happens to me in KoL as well. Clicking anywhere in the main "adventure" frame makes everything warm and fuzzy again in either case. I didn't think it was a big deal, and always assumed it was a browser problem.

It's as if the main frame refreshes, and the browser goes "I don't know what to do with these other frames" or "As far as I'm concerned, there are no other frames".
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I have that happen in KoL and here as well. Clicking the main frame usually clears it up. Sometimes, the main frame dies to, but I usually just go to the left frame, right-click, and refresh that frame only.

I think it's a Firefox issue.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Well, I'm relieved to find that it happens in KoL, too. I'd still be interested in learning if there's a way to manage this a little, as it gets reported frequently, but I feel better that it's not just me.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I could, and I might if it comes down to it, but at the moment the frames aren't just an organizational benefit, they're really helping to organize the code as well. I'll add that to the "look into this someday" idea.