May IotM: Cosmic Jester

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

May IotM: Cosmic Jester

Post by Ryme »

This one's a bit complicated, so wanted to spell it out a bit.

By default, the jester attacks (physical damage) and boosts spell damage %.

If you use combat items while the jester is your sidekick, he'll become permanently tuned to the elemental damage of that combat item until it's changed (or you retcon).

In many cases, if the combat item has some other effect, the jester will pick up on that effect for 3 hours. Not all items do this, but the jester can be tuned to hp restore, pp restore, +chips, distracting/stunning, and +xp.

Exceptions: the jester completely ignores items that aren't consumed. For items that come from other items of the month, the jester will pick up on the elemental tuning, but not the bonus effect.
Lxndr

Re: May IotM: Cosmic Jester

Post by Lxndr »

Biggest question right now:

There are two combat items (that I'm aware of) that do two different elemental damages: the sparkle bomb (fire and electric) and the corroded battery (acid and electric).

Will these tune the Jester to do half and half, or does tuning do something else?
Alexander Cherry
Twisted Confessions
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Was going to ask that too :)

Also you mention it can be tuned to +chips, however after looking at the wiki there are no combat usables that increase chip drops...am I missing something?

Anyway, loving the new sidekick! :D
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Patojonas wrote: Also you mention it can be tuned to +chips, however after looking at the wiki there are no combat usables that increase chip drops...am I missing something?
Yes. Some fraction of Combat Item Thursday, I would presume.

Lx's question is fair, but answered easily enough that I'll just let people find out.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

The battery's from an IotM, so I'd focus on the sparkling, personally.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Not sure if this is intended, but it seems like the three hour bonuses are canceled when the jester is retuned.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'd considered the bonus as part of being tuned to an item, so tuning to another item would change the bonus, too. I think I've got a "change the channel" metaphor going, where it's all or nothing, and you may have been working with a "picture in picture" model of the process, with the element and bonus being separate. Hmm.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Yes I have, I saw it as two separate things. Since one is for 3 hours and the other permanent, I was expecting the permanent things to override and the non-permanent ones to stay 3 hours, or at least until another 3 hr effect is chosen.
I'm not sure if this is crucial, but lets say I want to have a healing jester, I am now limited for not using combat items at all, and that's quite a price to pay.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I've been swayed by the argument, and separated the element and bonus components of the jester. You should be able to tune either element or bonus independently. Combat items which don't do any damage behave as if there's no element associated, instead of defaulting to physical.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Ryme wrote:I've been swayed by the argument, and separated the element and bonus components of the jester. You should be able to tune either element or bonus independently. Combat items which don't do any damage behave as if there's no element associated, instead of defaulting to physical.
Thanks, both changes are welcome. I think this makes it quite a nice sidekick