Market Discussion Thread

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

NardoLoopa

Market Discussion Thread

Post by NardoLoopa »

Please post here instead of in the Classifieds section -- which hopefully will be reserved for Ads.

Re-post from OP in the classified ad thread:
The problem is relatively simple; the solution evasive.

There seem to be quite a few people sitting old IotM investments (i.e. duplicates).
There seem to be others, who advertise in their profile that they are looking for some old IotM.

Why aren't these people meeting up and exchanging? Part of the issue is perception of value of these items -- where people are asking for large number of chips for them (some might say insane numbers). Part of the issue is that the amount of chips in the actual economy is relatively low. So even if someone were to donate for a bunch of stars, they probably couldn't sell them all quickly enough even at a big discount because nobody has enough to even buy into a good deal.

The old way of dealing with this was the silver star currency. The general guideline was that an IotM was worth 10 start + 1 for every month it was out of the Wok. Hero Cape = 52 stars, Axe = 11 stars. Of course, this is just a rough guide. Some are worth more, some less.

Old players seem content to sit on their goods, hoping to cash in at some future date for BoozerBear type profits. That probably won't happen. In fact, one concern should be that old IotM will probably have their utility deprecated due to new IotM, or a change in mechanic (obviously, Ryme goes through great lengths and pains to ameliorate this). But when it does happen (think Snowcones) the value will only be its rarity. TH just doesn't have enough bug-chips out there to support frivolous collectors.
Last edited by NardoLoopa on Thu May 05, 2011 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
blackmatter615

Re: Market Discussion Thread

Post by blackmatter615 »

I would agree Nardo, that many old timers are sticking to the 10+x months metric and it is causing so few sales. The only items that seem to be requested in high volume are those that give unique effects (recyclonizer/ star set/ etc.) and not typically the rare items like a hero's cape or fighting club or vhf-1 suit. There are some noticeable exceptions for items that are super effective for retcon (skullcap, etc.), but the majority of items are, IMHO, way overpriced by the metric, and it appears that the metric is used as a minimum price. I was at one time super interested in a wolley's index, and almost bought one for 20+ stars at one point. I was patient, and now Ive bought the quiver and am happy with that. So to with all non-unique things (non-sidekicks/hideout addons/combat items), given enough time. I can only wear 1 shirt, so why spend a bunch of money on an older shirt, when there will be a cheaper, new one that is just as good within the next 24 months.
acidcat

Post by acidcat »

I really like what you've done here Nardo. I think it's nice for everyone to see what the gap between buyer and seller price is, and also helps people get a fair price for items. For instance, already we've got two requests for Seppia's cephalopod skullcap at 20 stars, so it suggests to a seller that a price around there may be fair, but also because there are two requests, maybe a star or two above that may be reasonable.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I just put a bunch of my non-IotM colorful items in my shop (e.g., rares, ultra-rares, etc.) if anyone is interested.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Jick

Post by Jick »

I'm kinda curious as to why everybody seems to want to sell things for stars instead of Chips.

For the last few months, I've been castlefarming and buying stars in the mall, just to try to get some more currency moving around in the economy. Just one dude, though.

Based on the Classifieds thread, it seems like there are lots and lots of the IotMs that nobody is interesting in buying out there, and not so many of the ones people actually want.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Jick wrote:I'm kinda curious as to why everybody seems to want to sell things for stars instead of Chips.
Possibly because of a lack of chips in the world. At 300k per star, a 40 star item would cost 12,000,000 chips. Few players have that kind of liquid capital, and... well... what would I do with 12 million in chips? Buy stars.
Based on the Classifieds thread, it seems like there are lots and lots of the IotMs that nobody is interesting in buying out there, and not so many of the ones people actually want.
Eh. Supply and demand? I mean, with the skullcap, it was exceptionally unpopular when it first came out and its value wasn't realized until retcon hit, so there just aren't a lot bouncing around.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"