The first retcon: What should I perm?

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Corrupt Shadow

Re: The first retcon: What should I perm?

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I'm an elemental. My first perm'd skill will be Proper Grounding.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

my first skills permed for each class (note: i may do multiple of 1 class before 1 of another)

Elemental: Fire Within
Naturalist: Starfish Regeneration
Gadgeteer: Martial Arts or First Aid, not sure
Psion: Meditation or possibly Knit Bone, not sure
Kurg

Post by Kurg »

For me...

Elementalist: Hydration(can always use some PP regeneration)
Gadgeteer: Sniper or Battle Armor(passives are awesome)
Naturalist: Starfish Regeneration(should be obvious - at low level it should save a lot of healing)
Psion: Meditation(+bedtime each day? yes please!)
Accounts: Kurg is my main, then there's Zap/Zorzos/Kalios who are (mostly)unused multis.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Edivad wrote:Gadgeteer: Sniper or Battle Armor(passives are awesome)
Indeed they are. Upgrade Weapons is no slouch either.
Psion: Meditation(+bedtime each day? yes please!)
Meditation is actually quite low on my list.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Kurg

Post by Kurg »

Thinking about it, you have a point on Meditation. Without skill points in it, it's only 10 minutes which isn't much....
I'd probably take Knit Bone or even Vim as a Psion instead.
Accounts: Kurg is my main, then there's Zap/Zorzos/Kalios who are (mostly)unused multis.
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

vim is a wasted perm. auras only work on psions, and its a level 1 skill...
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

You misunderstand Auras....they can only be self cast. They'll work on any class, you just have to cast them on yourself rather than having someone else cast them on you like a buff. The extra to-hit and dodge come in quite handy when you're in low levels all the time.
Kurg

Post by Kurg »

Might as well bump this, considering we DID get retcon 8)

I was looking again at what to perm, and noticed that Gadgeteers have some sweet passives from the higher levels..Battle Armor and Sniper, mainly.
Maxxed out, Battle Armor gives +30 + 11*level defense, which would help immensely at lower levels. :wink:
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Don't underestimate Basic Martial Arts, it's like a passive version of Vim. Also, once you have six points in it, Upgrade Weapons gives you one of the best skills in the game.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

If you use melee attacks. And Upgrade Weapons is also nice in that it can be used in conjunction with Vim and Basic Martial Arts to ensure you'll be able to hit stuff consistently. But the no fumbles thing is pretty sweet. Always nice to have options.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Satan

Post by Satan »

I /was/ wanting to perm meditation as my first skill, but since the first run didn't count, I changed class to elemental. I'm going with lifeblood for the epicly low hp cost.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Not quite half way through my Psion run, but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping Vim. Other contenders include Vigor, Mind Jab, Premonition, and Mental Magnetism. Of course, MM is more a fine-tuning skill than something that'll help with survival, which is my prime concern for early skills.
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

Im going natty first run, because I dont see myself perming many natty skills at first, and I want to get starfish regeneration and their quadrant, then I will proceed with several gadgeteer and psion runs (all maso of course).
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

From using certain Iotm's, I personally wont need starfish regen or proper hydration. As an Elemental, im using alot of Ice Bolts, which can do some nice damage. But you learn it so quickly, it's only going to be useful for me in Gadget or Natty runs. Im holding out for the Fire within.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Kurg

Post by Kurg »

As we now have two new skills...bump! :D

I think the Elemental +Foe toughness skill could be very useful for levelling up faster in run IF you have enough permed skills/equipment to handle it(and PP to cast the skill which is somewhat expensive from what I understand).
So possibly worth perming if you want to do speed runs but only after having a solid set of combat skills/equipment.

Not so sure on the Psion skill - +turn length is a bit ugly, but it might be worth it to handle FT, sometimes(maybe?).
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Edivad wrote:I think the Elemental +Foe toughness skill could be very useful for levelling up faster in run IF you have enough permed skills/equipment to handle it(and PP to cast the skill which is somewhat expensive from what I understand).
So possibly worth perming if you want to do speed runs but only after having a solid set of combat skills/equipment.
Yeah, i'll be getting it for sure, but that's because using alot of Iotm = PP.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!