Tea Time with Ryme: It's that Thyme Again

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Tea Time with Ryme: It's that Thyme Again

Post by Ryme »

Next Tea Time tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, April 27, approximately at 8 p.m. US Mountain time.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, if you can't make it and you have a question, you can post it here.
Cristiona

Re: Tea Time with Ryme: It's that Thyme Again

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, if you can't make it and you have a question, you can post it here.
How much wood would a wood-chuck chuck if a wood-chuck could chuck wood?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Some questions, since I probably wont make it:

1. Seeing that new content was published, and the skill points not yet fully implemented, is the completion of skill point implementation now a lower priority to other things, or is it still at the head of the queue?
2. Are we expecting a return of frusion foes any time in the future? The storyline suggested a return every year.
3. Long time since we saw Buzzkill's Army (last visit was 11-07-08). Are they still around?
4. Planning ahead for retcon, is transmog still going to be available?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

No, but it you could remember me to one who lives there, I'd be much appreciative. (She once was a true love of mine, you see.)
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

In case I am not there (will update this post as I think of more questions)
Will the mines, and more importantly the rubble fields, ever make a return?
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

blackmatter615 wrote:In case I am not there (will update this post as I think of more questions)
Pretty sure Ryme has said in one of the earlier Tea Times that it would not return. He could always change his mind, of course.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Thanks for telling us early this time

Now I'm more likely to remember.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Harry Dresden wrote:
blackmatter615 wrote:In case I am not there (will update this post as I think of more questions)
Pretty sure Ryme has said in one of the earlier Tea Times that it would not return. He could always change his mind, of course.
I think there was something about building a subway for the city mentioned (as possible new threats from those creatures) at the end of that quest according to the wiki though...
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Just confirming that Tuesday at one hour before rollover is the official time. See y'all there, I hope.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

SYSTEM MESSAGE: Hello, and welcome to Tea Time with Ryme ...
SYSTEM MESSAGE: an online chat session with me, the guy who puts all the bugs into the game.
[N] blackmatter615: Muhandes posted 4 questions on the forum
[N] blackmatter615: 1. Seeing that new content was published, and the skill points not yet fully implemented, is the completion of skill point implementation now a lower priority to other things, or is it still at the head of the queue?
[N] Ryme: It's still up there. Basically I stopped when I couldn't figure out what to do with the remining few. Still working on them.
[N] blackmatter615: 2. Are we expecting a return of frusion foes any time in the future? The storyline suggested a return every year.
[N] Ryme: I'd say an occasional frusion outbreak is likely. Probably not as big as the initial one, or as long. Likely roughly once per year.
[N] blackmatter615: 3. Long time since we saw Buzzkill's Army (last visit was 11-07-08). Are they still around?
[N] Ryme: I keep meaning to bring them back out. They're very likely to make an appearance this year. Didn't want to wear them out by usign them too often.
[N] blackmatter615: 4. Planning ahead for retcon, is transmog still going to be available?
[N] Ryme: yes, always. Transmog's a nice "oops, I picked the wrong thing and want to change" option.
[N] SpockYoda: That's interesting. Always assumed it was going away.
[N] Ryme: Transmog was designed with a lot of limitations that make it intentionally not very optimal except for those situations.
[N] Ryme: That's why it resets level and such, so that even if you switch mid-run, it's too much of a burden, and you can't still be "competitive" ... whatever that will mean.
[N] blackmatter615: How will it work with different "runs" will it let you jump runs?
[N] Ryme: nah, it'll do what it does now -- just change class, reset XP/level, and clear out buffs.
[N] Antikythera: I always thought the 20k was daunting so I put off switching from my corrupt amulet
[N] Ryme: Heck, it used to be 10%, with no cap.
[N] SpockYoda switched talismans the first time a few days before the change happened
[N] blackmatter615: will the rubble fields return (merit badge question)
[N] Ryme: Not sure about the rubble fields. Very unlikely the badge will be obtainable in the future, but that theme may come back.
[N] blackmatter615 grumbles and mutters disliking of unattainable beta badges
[N] Ryme: I feel your pain, blackmatter, but in some ways unobtainable badges are a better way to reward dedicated players than any other unobtainable object, like an item or skill.
[N] Ryme: While it's early, I want to take a moment to place a plug for next month's Item of the Month. It's very content heavy. Not just the most extensive one ever, but truly massive in scope.
[N] Ryme: And of course I've made sure there's a way for non-donators to sample the experience.
[N] Zillow: It sounds fun =)
[N] SpockYoda: Awesome. Definitely going to get it.
[N] Nycteris: Color me intrigued :)
[N] Ryme: May's IotM may also be the "tide the game over until retcon" donation lure. The few after that may be more basic equipment so I can focus on the big stuff.
[N] Trog: So, I'm guessing that Tea time is postponed then?
[N] Trog: Chat dying sucks.
[N] Ryme: um, Tea Time is now, Trog.
[N] SpockYoda: Awesome. So do you think retcon may come at some point in the summer?
[N] blackmatter615: or before christmas even?
[N] Ryme: Well, I have to start by saying at one time I thought retcon would come last summer. But ... sometime this year would be nice. Possibly late summer.
[N] Ryme: It really is becoming top priority, and even though my recent contributions don't necessarily show it, a lot of the last few major updates have been leading up to it.
[N] Zillow: Like NCI?
[N] Ryme: NCI is definitely a teaser for bigger things to come.
[N] AldenteVonTino: ie: possible pre-programming?
[N] Ryme: more like just getting components streamlined, and putting in parts that will be expanded, Aldente.
[N] blackmatter615: are the nci live building and the castle eventually going to have associated quests?
[N] Ryme: Castle was always meant to have a quest, but that'll probably be outside the scope of retcon. Not sure what to do with later-level quests like that, if they'll be optional or become included.
[N] SpockYoda: Any hints on how skill points will work with skill perming in retcon?
[N] Heather Robinson: ...assuming that's even finalized yet..
[N] Ryme: I think the forums skill points discussion has always had a pretty consistent explanation for my intentions.
[N] Ryme: Skills will be permed. Skill points will never be. But there will be ways to get extra points, beyond the 2/level given now.
[N] Zillow: What are your views on one day runs?
[N] Ryme: I have no real opinion on what a run "should" look like. I don't really even know fully what a run will entail.
[N] Ryme: I do tend to think that a few days seems like it would be a more satisfying accomplishment than something that could be pushed through in a single day. Just in terms of repetitiveness, or size of the accomplishment.
[N] blackmatter615: assuming there will be runs, you could say a more difficult run requires x number of quests completed, so you could pick from like castle, and space bots and clock stuff if you arent going for 100%
[N] Ryme: blackmatter, there's a LOT still to be decided about types of runs, and requirements. I'll be posting more in the forum thread soon to re-instigate that discussion.
[N] Ryme: I'm 99.5% sure I wouldn't want to ever require space robots or the clock quest, though. Those are just bonuses with their own rewards. Potentially they might add a small bonus to the "score" for a run if done within a set of restrictions (ronin, hardcore, equivalents, say.)
[N] The Supernaturalist: are we having any more bounties of the month?
[N] Ryme: SN, I kind of ran out of bounties. Haven't had anything to really ask people to do. If I think of one I'll do it.
[N] Trog: Will leader boards reset if someone goes through retcon?
[N] Ryme: Trog, I've always intended two sets -- one for current run, one for lifetime, or something along those lines.
[N] Trog: Makes sense. Thanks
[N] The Supernaturalist: though you've run out of bounties, that *doesnt* mean (merit badges aside) that there isnt anything else in the game left to be discovered though correct?
[N] Ryme: Of course not, SN. There are secrets. Definitely a lot of spading left. Plus a few other random mysteries.
[N] Heather Robinson: will the space station remain unlocked for anyone who unlocked it prior to retcon?
[N] Ryme: I think space station will require re-unlocking every time. If the current setup gets too tedious, it may be streamlined a bit.
[N] The Supernaturalist: how much new content are you planning for the initial release of retcon to include?
[N] Ryme: I don't have an answer for that, really, SN. Definitely one final showdown quest with The Mick. Ideally a bunch of extra flavor around the types of runs, and leaderboards.
[N] Ryme: Beyond that ... I may try to just get it done, and then fill in more. I don't want to get too sidetracked, with a massive playstyle shift waiting for release.
[N] Ryme: I really expect retcon to be something that changes how a lot of people play, and boosts their enjoyment of the game tremendously. I also think it will help keep people longer, and bring them back more often. And also draw more from KoL's crowd.
[N] Ryme: In fact, I'm counting on it generating a bit of critical mass for growth, rather than staying mostly flat for two years.
[N] SpockYoda: I like that leveling will be a necessary part of any optimal aftercore playstyle because skill points aren't permed. It makes for another interesting dimension of the game.
[N] Ryme: True, Spock. More so than just leveling, I'm hoping there will be a lot of variety in the choices. Different types of runs may lead to investing skill points in wildly different skills.
[N] SpockYoda: Absolutely. Much more strategy involved.
[N] blackmatter615: strategy==doubleplus good
[N] Ryme: At least I hope that's how it will work.
[N] AldenteVonTino loves strategy
[N] Lichen: how will implementation take place, as an all at once or piece by piece?
[N] Ryme: retcon? I think it's just got to go in all at once.
[N] Ryme: Which is to say, the pieces I could do on their own, I've done. Like skill points.
[N] blackmatter615: whats the next biggest piece of implementation after retcon?
[N] Ryme: oh, don't ask me that. There IS no after retcon, yet. :)
[N] The Supernaturalist: retcon wont be finished per se for a looong while though right
[N] Ryme: somewhere between two months and never, I suppose.
[N] Ryme: Retcon's going to be a massive, slow, error-prone process. After the coding and testing and implementation, the release will probably keep me busy for weeks just patching stuff. After that I'll need a break, and time to regroup and get philosophical before deciding what's next.
[N] AldenteVonTino: Can't Fight, Gotta Work: Will there ever be a chance to quit one's job and own a business if one gains X chips or something?
[N] SpockYoda: Ha. It would make me laugh if the long-awaited mall could only ever be reached in a KoL-Valhalla equivalent, and never in the normal game. Wouldn't make much sense, but it'd be funny.
[N] Malk-a-mite: Dead Heroes Knick Knacks and Outlet Spock?
[N] SpockYoda: Something like that, Malk. :P
[N] Ryme: Yeah, Aldente, I always meant to have a way to quit your job. It's possibly part of the leagues thing that's been in the wings forever. Also possibly a retcon option/upgrade.
[N] The Supernaturalist: will retcon limit the items players can use past their level requirements?
[N] The Supernaturalist: (such as a hagnks)
[N] Ryme: that's still up in the air, SN, and may vary depending on the type of run.
[N] Lichen: will there be class specific quests as part of retcon?
[N] Ryme: I'd like some class-specific quests, but that's the sort of thing that may get pushed off until afterward.
[N] SpockYoda: Are any old IotM's going to be changed with Retcon? For balancing, or whatever.
[N] Ryme: Very unlikely, unless we discover it's absolutely unnecessary. I don't like to touch things people have donated for.
[N] Ryme: One possibility is requiring the "passable pilot" skill to operate the VHF-1 fighter in jet mode.
[N] Ryme: So, anything else? We've got just a couple minutes left to wrap up.
[N] Lichen: how will sidekick skills transfer into retcon?
[N] Ryme: Sidekick skills may need a little ironing out, but the rough plan is you'll earn it the first time through, but have them from the start on future runs.
[N] Zillow: Oh, I have a question. Why do trades disappear so quickly while some stay for a long time?
[N] Ryme: They should have a fixed duration.
[N] Ryme: Like 7-ish days from completion.
[N] Zillow: I have one from 02/05/2009 and some from 04/19/2010
[N] Ryme: all are completed?
[N] Zillow: Ya
[N] Ryme: Hm.... I'll look into it.
[N] Cristiona deletes Zillow's account, "Problem solved!"
[N] Ryme: Permanent records take up a lot of space. If you want permanence, a spreadsheet may be your friend. I don't think most people need more than a week as evidence of a trade, and won't clean them up if it's not automatic.
[N] SpockYoda: What about a feature that would allow you to loan something to someone and then give it back to you after so long.
[N] Ryme: Loan system is a definite no-go.
SYSTEM MESSAGE: Okay, I'm gonna wrap this up. Thanks to everyone for your questions. Seeya next time.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Thanks, Harry, for the capture and the quick post.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Thanks for answering my questions when I wasn't there.

As always, looking forward to all the great stuff.