Computer rebooting?

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

It's a known bug. For the sake of convenience, can everyone suffering from this issue post here please? It's a lot easier than bogging Ryme down with separate reports. And yes, this has been reported in the minor bugs thread.

Your cooperation is much appreciated.

I'll start. Ryme, my computer1 has been running that data plate for three days straight.
Have a nice day.
Rueby

Post by Rueby »

Character named Rueby has been running the same mangled data plate since before the server switch as well.
The Goddess works in mysterious ways, like a healing shiv. This might sting.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Okay, this is happening often enough that it's clear something is wrong. What I really need is details. Lots of details. I really need to know where the system is breaking, and not just that it is breaking.

What is supposed to happen is this.
1. You tell it to decrypt a data plate
2. The page reloads with a message at the top saying you're now decrypting the plate.
3. The character pane at left refreshes and displays the "effect" that you're decrypting with a timer.
4. You adventure and the timer reduces.
5. When the timer hits zero, it's supposed to give you an alert in the main frame saying that decryption is done and give you the data plate.
6. Upon returning to your lab the computer should be free to change software or decrypt another item.

So, at which step is this process breaking -- I mean, what step is this process breaking at? Also, if the answer is step 5, I need to know exactly where you were when it happened. Fighting? Resting? The VR room? It's possible one of the pages has a bug and the others don't.

Also, it could be none of those steps, but something that happens at rollover (you lose the effect somehow). Or maybe the effect disappears if you log out under certain circumstances?

I'll fix the ones that are stuck, of course, but any further precise explanation of what breaks when would help me narrow this down a bit.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Actually, I think the issue is the effect isn't saved if you log out right away without adventuring somewhere first. I can fix that easily this evening. In the meantime, if you start decrypting something, spend at least one turn somewhere to get it to record the effect.
Rueby

Post by Rueby »

As far as I can recall.

1. I told it to decrypt.
2. The page reloaded as it should and gave me the decrypting message.
3. I had the effect in my character pane.
4. I ran out of time while it was still decrypting.
5. I logged out.
6. Logged in today and the effect was not in my character pane, and the decrypting is stuck.

Thanks for the quick response, I wasn't expecting you to even check in until this evening.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

Mine was especially odd. It broke after step 3 and never reached step 4, maybe because of rollover. I know I saw the effect there, but it was gone the next day.

Also: Saigo and Gihorn need the effect. (I was in chat, and they don't have forum accounts.)
Gihorn: It was fine until the new servers came up... it was in the middle of one, then the effect disappeard.
Have a nice day.
Rueby

Post by Rueby »

Same alt name of Rueby. I installed a computer in the second computer bay when all my turns were over, and it worked at first. Effect showed in character pane, I logged out using the log out link. I log in today and now both computers in my lab are stuck decrypting.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Underfoot wrote:With the rollback, we're going to need decrypting added again
Awwww .... %*(&^*^%$(&^)&_&^)_^&)*&!!!!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Nah. You're electricity bill is already crazy high, so you turn your computers off when you aren't adventuring.

Do you have any idea how much power a positronic computer consumes?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

hen3ry wrote:Ya know, just throwing this out there;

Shouldn't the computer keep working, even while you're at your day job?
Well, if it's realism you want, I could have the day job cancel ALL effects. You'd get the computer code, but you'd never be able to carry any other buffs or effects over from day to day. Would you like that option better?

Why are people only willing to suspend disbelief when it benefits them?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Cornuthaum wrote:Why, I thought I ripped those fusion packs out of those darn robots to provide that thing with power.... :p
Fusion packs are just glorified capacitors. You gotta charge those bad boys.

As for healing at work, what kinda job do you people have? Seriously... stay up all night long, fighting people for several hours, then take a quick shower and go to work for eight hours. Do you really think you'll feel more rested physically and mentally?

I don't know about you, but after a day of filing TPS reports, I'm not feeling particularly rested.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"