Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

seventhcross

Re: Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Post by seventhcross »

seventhcross wrote:Just wanted to put down the beginings of some of my skill ideas, after having seen Ryme's list. This is just a start and I will be elaborating more as I explore the initial concepts, but feel free to suggest changes as you like.
So, here's a more refined idea for the skills that I initially listed.

Elemental
13) Changing Tides- Your mastery of the water element improves as you learn to imitate different aspects of the Ocean. Choose one of the following:
  • Still Waters You practice remaining calm in all circumstances: +initiative, +dodge(or defense)
  • Ocean's Fury You attempt to harness the raging power of a storm at sea, relentlessly hammering your foes and leaving them no place to retreat: + offensive power
  • Bounty of the Sea You have watched the rains washing lands clean and carrying the debris into the sea, now you realize how to gather that bounty for yourself from your foes: +chips, +items (maybe .5X%?)

16) Melody of Frost and Flame- Your mastery of elemental attacks is almost perfect, you have now learned to turn elemental attacks against themselves: Elemental damage absorption, reduce elemental attacks by # after applying resistances

Gadgeteer
9) Hideout Upgrade- You have found a need to upgrade your current headquarters and now you've come up with some blueprints to improve upon your existing location, which one would you like to use?
  • Trophy Room A place you can store those fabulous but useless trinkets you've been gathering from defeated foes and walk down memory lane now and again: +xp per turn
  • Lounge You decide your couch needs a little bit of an overhaul, and some accessories. Time to upgrade your furniture and install some games: +sidekick effectiveness, extra hp/pp during rest
  • Training Room You've learned some martial arts, now you need somewhere to practice them where you won't be in danger and no one will be criticizing you: cost to level decreased
  • Mansion Expansion You've acquired enough wealth through your adventures to buy appropriate stocks and bonds, giving you the appearance of someone who is independently wealthy. Now you've decided to quit that dead-end day-job and move up to the next rung of society: never have to work again, bedtime can go past 7am each day

Psion
14) Psychic Imprint- By holding an item in your hands and concentrating on it, you learn to get a feel for how it was used by it's previous owner. Now, you think you'll be able to handle it a little bit better: -fumble (and/or +critical), +weapon damage, +offhand item power (or increased offhand item effectiveness similar to sidekick effectiveness?)

Now the ideas have a little polish to them, still not perfect, but I really like them. Of course there are a few things that will have to be adjusted, such as the hideout upgrade should only have three options, not four. But, I'd really like to hear other peoples opinions on these, any thoughts?
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Some more suggestions to go with the Old-mobile:

Pentium + unbranded jalopy = Rage Rover
"Hey, thanks a lot, you jerk! Honk! Honk! Honk! Get out of the way, moron!" :evil:
+foe toughness

Paladinum + unranded jalopy = Chevalier
("Cavalier" seemed too obvious to me. Maybe because I used to drive one about 10 years ago.)

Cryonite + unbranded jalopy = Bamzoni
"I wanna drive the Bamzoni, I wanna drive the Bamzoni..."
Your enemies are likely to slip on the smooth trail of ice the Bamzoni leaves behind.
(Gosh, I really miss hockey games. There's just no good ice hockey in Hawaii.)
+ice damage, +foe fumbles
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Sanjuro wrote:Some more suggestions to go with the Old-mobile:

Pentium + unbranded jalopy = Rage Rover
"Hey, thanks a lot, you jerk! Honk! Honk! Honk! Get out of the way, moron!" :evil:
+foe toughness
Awesome.

Now we just need some kind of El Camino...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

A skill called "burninating", which does extra damage to peasants (and county side).
You might need to kill trogdor to learn it.
Last edited by Muhandes on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Satan

Post by Satan »

TRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR!!!!!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Doc Igor wrote:I still think the 'water-themed' skill for elems should be something like 'make water'... creating a PP restore item. Maybe make it cost 15PP (or 20PP to be blatant about it) to cast, and returns 5+X PP when used. So there isn't a real 'infinite PP' option (except maybe for those using the bottle and having at least 9 points in the skill) but also it gives elems something to do with excess PP, rather than flooding people with rather pointless buffs or bulk metalmorphing.
Too much like Sky water with attitude. Besides, unless it was capped, it would be too much. Also, even if it was capped, the elemental could have max PP forever, and would make the elementals unfairly unbalanced.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

personally i think it would be really cool if for gadgeteer lvl 9 was the aforementioned (by ryme i do believe) upgrade transportation, and switch lvl 10 from improved tinkering to an upgrade hideout and make improved tinkering lvl 15 instead of sniper.
I would make the 3 options for upgrade hideout be:
nerd cave: gives increased computer firing rates and at level 10 allows a third computer slot
bar and lounge: + hp/pp regen leveled
Shooting Range: increased chance/power of critical hits. (or make this + ranged damage & + initiative like sniper)

The upgrade transportation could be one of:
auto-guns: additional ranged damage
mini flux capacitor: decreased turn time (-5 to -10 seconds)
Speaker system: provides relaxing music, allows some small pp regen.

You would really need to keep up with the pp if you were using the nerd cave, or else lose that third computer slot. I could see this being a pain in the neck to code. so maybe make the upgrade hideout a selectable passive ability? not sure if thats doable. Or you could make it a buff that when cast has a ridiculous amount of time on it.
Thoughts?
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Doc Igor wrote:
Strlikecrazy wrote:
Doc Igor wrote:I still think the 'water-themed' skill for elems should be something like 'make water'... creating a PP restore item. Maybe make it cost 15PP (or 20PP to be blatant about it) to cast, and returns 5+X PP when used. So there isn't a real 'infinite PP' option (except maybe for those using the bottle and having at least 9 points in the skill) but also it gives elems something to do with excess PP, rather than flooding people with rather pointless buffs or bulk metalmorphing.
Too much like Sky water with attitude. Besides, unless it was capped, it would be too much. Also, even if it was capped, the elemental could have max PP forever, and would make the elementals unfairly unbalanced.
uh, 15(or 20)PP to cast, produces item returning at most 15PP, and this is infinite PP? Huh?

Care to explain that logic?
You don't mention a cap in your post. I don't think there is much point spending 20 PP to get 20 PP. The amount i generate each turn anyway, PP isn't much of an issue. I can understand having too much PP, so why create and store more? Unless obviously, it could be sold - but then it becomes similar to the warrior hologram.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

"and returns 5+X PP when used"

At 10 points in the skill, it would return (5+10)PP or 15 PP.

Sure, I can see how setting aside 200 PP so you can have 200 PP later isn't horribly useful, but it could be. If you were just using that PP to add another 3000 minutes to your Air Shield, bottling it could be more useful. Bottled, you could use it when fighting somewhere that you're using a lot of spells. Or you could give it to new players, sell it to others, or just bottle it up to be used in retcon. And I wouldn't say it becomes similar to the warrior hologram. PP restoratives are actually useful.

The biggest problem I see with it is you're restoring PP with a skill called "Make Water"... :P
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

Water Shield
Converts some percentage of damage taken into frusion energy, i.e. damages pp. at higher levels reduces the damage received to pp.
Example
0 points:
opponent attack normally does 100 damage, now does 80 damage to your hp and 20 to your pp
10 points: same situation, except you receive 80 damage to your hp and only 10 to your pp.
(obviously these numbers may need balancing)

Stone Shield:
upon being struck, you have 20% + floor(x/2)% of stunning the opponent for 1 turn.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Doc Igor wrote:
Cristiona wrote: The biggest problem I see with it is you're restoring PP with a skill called "Make Water"... :P
Dammit Cris, stop pointing these things out to the people who overlooked them. It might've slipped past Ryme. ;p

And yes, Cris got what I was talking about... PP restoratives are more useful to give away than level 0 AS/FS, and restoratives are exceptionally useful at times (like when fighting in the Crypts at level 50, since it's a constant use of firestorm and lifeblood) while turns spent in lower-level areas (like farming the castle, pegasus hunting, etc) can generate insane amounts of PP that are otherwise wasted. And of course, they'd probably end up being insanely overpriced in the AH, so there'd be a way of generating chips from them. Not to mention the use of having stockpiled PP for a run as a psion...
this skill would be so awesomely useful....
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Blink wrote:Xelor Watch + Circle A = Sad Face pin
:(
+Foe toughness
+Exp gain

A motif of a vicious criminal who hunted down caped crusaders, this Smiley Face-esque pin tells the tale of a time when the police decided to walk out, leaving the city to the care of vigilantes. Those people, who had no real unified code of conduct stood guard of the city during that turbulent time. This left many people asking, "who will guard the guards themselves?"
I vote yes for MOAR Watchmen references. The idea is not bad at all, maybe tone down the reference? We don't want it to shout WATCHMEN!!!!!!!
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

I'd like to see some semi-rare or rare encounters that can only be unlocked by flying or water breathing.

Perhaps locations like the sewers (eeww), the triassic park, the space station, and of course the other bay areas could have water breathing adventures. "You see a cave/item/creature under the water and go down to investigate it."

Any open area could work for the flight adventures, though the mountains really seem like a good place to have one or two of those. I suppose there could also be a lake in the mountains for a water breathing adventure too. "While flying around the castle you notice a strange nest/plant high up on one of the cliffs. care to investigate?"
blackmatter615

Shiloh Sanatarium

Post by blackmatter615 »

I have to say, as far as Sanatariums/Asylums/Prisons go in super hero universes, our very own Shiloh Sanatarium seems to have the most amazing track record out of any...

Should this/ will this change? Would it be fun to go after the arsonist after hes spent some time in supervillian bootcamp, or how about dealing with a Rage who has had a bad reaction to a medicine (i.e. some medicines have hyper-agrseeion as a side-effect)...

Thoughts?
Muhandes

Re: Shiloh Sanatarium

Post by Muhandes »

/me slaps a "move this into the suggestions thread" sign on the above post.
Satan

Post by Satan »

It's a mixture of both content and feature, but the majority of it is based in content, so I don't think it belongs in the features thread.
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

Cristiona wrote:Awesome.

Now we just need some kind of El Camino...
It took me a while, but here's a suggestion:

Paladinum + Unbranded Jalopy = Camino Royale
It could be a reference to the 1960's spy spoof, or to that last James Bond movie.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Sanjuro wrote:Paladinum + Unbranded Jalopy = Camino Royale
It could be a reference to the 1960's spy spoof, or to that last James Bond movie.
You know what they call an El Camino in France?
No.
Tell 'em, Vincent.
A Camino Royale
A Camino Royale! You know why they call it that?
Because of the metric system?
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Cristiona wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:Paladinum + Unbranded Jalopy = Camino Royale
You know what they call an El Camino in France?
No.
Tell 'em, Vincent.
A Camino Royale
A Camino Royale! You know why they call it that?
Because of the metric system?
Brilliant
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

See if you can guess what game I've been playing on my C-64 emulator. (No, it's not Samantha Fox Strip Poker.*)

B.U.R.R.O. 2
Transportation
This is the second version of Brossum's Universal Robots' Resource Optimizer.
The originals were made for colonizing other planets. They required expensive reconfiguration if you wanted them to gather different resources.
This new version includes a comfy (well, comfy-ish) saddle, and can be reconfigured with the flip of a switch. It has 3 settings:
(1) Agricultural Products: +caffeine and sugar drops
(2) Solar (or Lunar) Energy: +PP per turn
(3) Minerals: +metal drops

Like with the originals, users may experience some side effects, such as these:
-suden downpours (blocks sunlight (or moonlight) but improves agricultural yields)
-earthquakes (-mineral yields)
-wumpus hunts (+chips)
-packages from home (+PP and caffeine/sugar)
-solar flares (increased energy yield)
-meteorite impact (+minerals yield)

Brossum's Universal Robots also made a pocket-sized version called a B.U.R.R.I.T.O. (Brossum's Universal Robots' Resource (It's Tiny) Optimizer), but people kept eating them.

*Oh, ok, in addition to Samantha Fox Strip Poker. :oops:
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

Add a new foe to the guild for imaginative metachronism

This foe will drop spray-on glitter and plastic vampire teeth. The foes' name will be edwin culvert (possible static villian if any more are in the works). insert pithy description semi-related to night-time/dusk, possible stalker reference.

The spray-on glitter will be combat usable, reduce the opponent's to-hit by 10 as they struggle to get the herpes of makeup (once you get it on you, it never leaves) out of their eyes, and send them into an infuriating rage (i.e. +10-20 foe toughness).

The plastic vampire teeth would be an accessory that makes combats more likely. maybe some other kind of effect too... not sure.
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

earth, fire, wind, and water are the "elements" TH elementalists uses. TH needs at least 1 Captain Planet reference. I think this should be the lvl 16 skill (hidden in there a bit) called the Elementeers' Strength (referencing the Planeteers). SO...

The description/use message should totally be " With our... wait... who else is here. With my powers combined I..."

This could either be a massive damage dealing spell (i.e. the fire burns them, the wind buffets them, the water half drowns them, and the earth smothers them for around 2x firestorm.

Or it could be a self buff along the lines of earth providing damage absorption or increased strength, fire providing initiative (lights the way) or increased intellect, wind providing increased reflexes, and water providing small hp regen (less than 5) or base hp boost.

Obviously either way this skill needs to cost a lot. Thoughts on just the need for a Captain Planet reference? Thoughts on my implementations?
zillow

Re: Just a suggestion:

Post by zillow »

Cristiona

Re: Just a suggestion:

Post by Cristiona »

I'll merge this in a minute, but wanted to point out a couple things that might help future suggestions.
subbypuppyjay wrote:A start to some interesting put togethers welds and such.
I didn't have a place to put this so i just thought Suggestions/ adds?:
1.Unleaded pipe + Unleaded pipe = Super Unleaded pipe
Not exactly sure what stats i was thinking.
Melee weapon (Bashing, Medium size)
Power: 130
Level Required: 8
+7 strength
+2 hero skills
I have no idea...
The level and power are way out of whack here. While there certainly are items that are out of line like this, their enchantments usually make up for it, or they're designed with a very specific use in mind (see: telekinetic katana). While the level here is probably okay, the power's too high. A level 8 melee weapon would be more in the 80 power range.

The +strength is fine (if a little weak), but the +2 hero skills is something that doesn't currently exist, and is probably unlikely to exist, as it would require recoding the way skills work, and would raise issues of what if someone had 10 points already. Also, if something like that existed, it would be a pretty powerful boost (I'd put it in the same league as -time or +% XP), which would likely lower the power even further.

Finally, there's no "melee, medium" category :P This would probably be "Melee (Bashing, Small)".
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

The name, however, is hilarious.
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Whilst driving to work, i wondered if the thousands of passing cars daily affected food grown in allotments in big cities. Either pollution from the fumes, litter, chemicals etc

So it gave me an idea. We could have vegatables - with a twist.

These vegatables could be like a liao or talisman, benefical in one or two ways - but weakens you in another.

e.g

Consuming a carrot,

You gain efffect 'Up-rooted!'

Your vision and awareness are on fire! Suddenly you're pulsating with an extra drive to pummel!

Never fumble
+x% melee or spell damage

You gain effect 'Like the submarine'

You notice your palms turning a yellow shade. I think i'm turning Yellow... I really think so!

-5% chip drops

It's pretty rough as an idea - i'll admit :P
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hm.

Well, I'm all in favor of themes for items (more pens and glasses coming!), and I like give and take buffs (although, White Pills are probably more balanced than Laio), so this is a pretty sweet idea.

Now I just need to figure out where veggies will fit. Probably the level 15 quest (OMG SPOILARZ!) :D