Computers in my Workshop

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

There's a whole bunch of parts further north, with the tougher robots.
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

can we actually assemble the positronic one once we have the right parts?

Edit: Like, is it currently implemented? Has anyone been able to build it?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I don't have the parts, but I should be able to nab 'em after rollover.

Edit: Yeah, you can actually build both, you just can't do anything with them. Yet.

Well, except sell 'em in the auction house... heh heh heh
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

For some reason when I try to build the positronic computer I get a message about not have a degree in positronics.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Just wanted to stop in to confirm that everything is performing as expected. There's a fairly basic reason why some people can make them and others can't.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Heh heh heh... looks like I have Superadvanced Computer Smithing.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Power Converter and Carbon-Microfiber Chassis can both be bought from stores.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

There's a chance that I've got the distribution of item drops a bit off, because they've changed a lot over the past 6 months. Memory tubes, in particular, I don't think drop in the right location ... think somplace mechanical that's not the zone you mentioned.

I promise to fix this before computers can do anything, but if you notice anything really off, please do let me know.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I tweaked things a little last night. Your best bet for memory tubes is still someplace that mostly isn't robotic (you'll have to take a chance somewhere else), but you can find them from at least one other foe in the more obvious location. Drop percentages might still need a little tweaking, and I'll keep an eye on that.

I also switched something in the store--power converters weren't available but should have been and now are.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

Yeah well, I'm eager to use all the other software that was stuck in the item DB and not implemented. That's a lot of software.
Have a nice day.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I just want to go on record as saying I wish I'd never thought up computers. It seemed simple enough conceptually, but they're by far the most complicated thing I've tried to put into the game because there's just so many little details to be managed. Made some progress today in two long work sessions, both of which had me crosseyed and needing a nap at the end of them, but there's still a lot to go. I do think I'm over the worst of the complications, so hopefully it's more downhill from now on, but man, it's been painful, and it's consumed an entire day with just a small part of that project.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Computers ARE completely functional. Code alone is a fractional solution, though. You'll need to do a little something with it. These aren't the only things computers will do, and in fact they're probably among the least powerful options. You'll need 'em for a quest, for one thing. I had to get the computers working before I could do the quest, though. The stuff that's here now I mostly see as what you do with your computer when you're not doing the more important stuff. More will be coming, someday.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

I had fun figuring it out. I was expecting more programs, but hey, that's okay.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, I was expecting more programs, too. :lol: I've got at least a couple in mind, but need to redo some other code first for it to work.

I also think I've got a number of minor issues ironed out with those computers.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Trying to be as non-spoilery as possible...

You can't run the Calendar on both computers because "Note: There's no advantage to running the same software on both computers: you'll just get the same information twice." However, since the Calendar doesn't seem to always activate, there should be an advantage to running it on both.

Also, S.M.A.R.T. doesn't seem to work in the Pit.

Edit: Seems S.M.A.R.T. just doesn't always work, even though the effect description implies that it should.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Er, the theory with the no duplicate software part is that they're calculating the same thing at the same time. You'd just get the same hint, but as you can only use it once, you don't get the double benefit. Same data in = same data out, yes? That's the narrative justification, anyway.

I just have S.M.A.R.T. firing randomly but frequently. As it's not a huge advantage, I don't mind having it go more often -- wasn't sure if a message every time would almost get annoying or not. It could also be that there are issues specifically with the pit ... I'll check that.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:Er, the theory with the no duplicate software part is that they're calculating the same thing at the same time. You'd just get the same hint, but as you can only use it once, you don't get the double benefit. Same data in = same data out, yes?
Well, yes, but the iBlog, Calendar, and Penny Pincher all have bonuses that would, mechanically, stack. I understand you not wanting us to stack those bonuses, but...
I just have S.M.A.R.T. firing randomly but frequently. As it's not a huge advantage, I don't mind having it go more often -- wasn't sure if a message every time would almost get annoying or not.
Well, since it takes no time to swap software, there's no reason to not have it run constantly, I guess. Now we just need to be able to combine the Calendar with the Mangled Data Plate so that we can have the TH version of the Defective Skull.

Oh! Or the Lack of Pies with the Mangled Data Plate!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Cristiona wrote:Well, yes, but the iBlog, Calendar, and Penny Pincher all have bonuses that would, mechanically, stack. I understand you not wanting us to stack those bonuses, but...
You think so? I don't really see it. The calendar: if it reminds you that you need to be someplace at a certain time, and a duplicate calendar reminds you of the exact same thing--does that make you extra early? I don't see how it would.

Likewise on the blog (watching the same mistakes and good choices twice isn't likely to show you considerably more than watching them once) and the Penny Pincher (here's a bargain, and now that you know about it, let me tell you about the exact same bargain).

That's how I've imagined the stuff, at least.

But all that's also narrative justification. I also picked the numbers I did based on the assumption that you'd only be able to have one running. With two possible, I probably would have picked different numbers.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Okay, we're gonna have to define "nothing happens" a little more clearly. Does literally nothing happen? Or does the page reload but it doesn't provide any message? Or does it provide a message that isn't helpful? Is there white space at the top? Do you get one of the horizontal blue dividers? Is it consuming the mangled data plates--sounds like a no, but please check to be sure.

According to the database you've got one electronic and one positronic computer. The electronic one seems to be running something other than decryption though -- have you changed things or is that erroneous?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

You're really close to getting the software, darkbladed. Right track, at least. Think about what makes software, and what you have. Also, for further hints, you might check the Auction House, where you can read the descriptions of existing software.

Also, a final hint: You have plenty of blank CDs in your lab already; you don't need to include a storage medium in your figurings.

Edit: Ryme: My thought was that since they didn't always trigger, having two computers running the same program would allow for additional triggers. However, your point is solid, and I don't mind running two different programs.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

I finally have a positronic computer, and I don't see any results coming from it. I have the calendar running on an electronic in slot 1, and iMyself on the positronic in slot 2. I get plenty of messages of saving time, but nothing about more experience. When I had an electronic in slot 2, I was getting messages for both.