Question Regarding Transportation Range

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Corrupt Shadow

Question Regarding Transportation Range

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Okay, so I'm using the Dreamer's Clock. It's range is listed as "∞", which leads one to believe it can go anywhere. Why, then, can I not access the skies above downtown? Is this on purpose?
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Satan

Re: Question Regarding Transportation Range

Post by Satan »

I've already argued this with Ryme, no yield. 'You can go to the /depths of space/, but you can't have it fly you up a few hundred feet?' 'Yep.'
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

O...kay then...

I'd then argue that "∞" should not be used as the range as it is not a true statement. Maybe it should read:"Everywhere but the skies". :lol:
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Ryme's explanation has been that when you try to fight in the skies, you're having to climb out of the Clock to do so and thus you would fall to the ground.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Sounds like something he'd say.

It could be like Bill & Ted's phone booth or Dr. Who's police box... we could stand in it, just reach out the door to fight.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Satan wrote:I've already argued this with Ryme, no yield. 'You can go to the /depths of space/, but you can't have it fly you up a few hundred feet?' 'Yep.'
There's a portal to the space station. You go from there. You're already outside of the Earth's gravity well at that point.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

It's just the way it is. The clock provides infinite range, but doesn't give special abilities like breathing water or flying or high jumping. If you wanna visit the skies, there are plenty of ways to get there without the clock.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

I'd have to agree with Ryme on this.

Flying and breathing underwater are special abilities, they have nothing to do with range. You can look at it as a teleportation device. If it teleported to to the skies above twilight, even if it didn't fall immediately, you'd open the door and fall down yourself. Same underwater - you would open the door and drown.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Muhandes wrote:I'd have to agree with Ryme on this.

Flying and breathing underwater are special abilities, they have nothing to do with range. You can look at it as a teleportation device. If it teleported to to the skies above twilight, even if it didn't fall immediately, you'd open the door and fall down yourself. Same underwater - you would open the door and drown.
DEPTHS OF SPACE. Even if you don't fall, you have to have some kind of shielded in air sphere from the clock in order to breath. No air in space, remember? By that principle, the air sphere would work under water. Since the shield apparently generates and contains the air, it's exerting a force on the air, which exerts a force on you, holding you at that spot and I'd assume it allows you to move as you like with your will, since you can do that in space where there are no external forces. Thus, you can both fight in the skies and underwater.

EDIT: Also, it's not like there's anything good about going there with the clock besides convenience. We wouldn't benefit from having it instead of the jet pack or pegasus, or the sub-ma-car. In fact we're /losing/ benefits if we have and don't use the VH-1 flyer. Although I don't remember if it can go underwater >.> In any case. All the logical reasons why it should work if it works in space are there. If you're going to deny it, deny it on balancing reasons, not 'science' :p
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I was mainly asking from an I'm-too-lazy-to-keep-changing-my-transportation point of view.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Satan wrote: DEPTHS OF SPACE. Even if you don't fall, you have to have some kind of shielded in air sphere from the clock in order to breath. No air in space, remember? By that principle, the air sphere would work under water. Since the shield apparently generates and contains the air, it's exerting a force on the air, which exerts a force on you, holding you at that spot and I'd assume it allows you to move as you like with your will, since you can do that in space where there are no external forces. Thus, you can both fight in the skies and underwater.
Eh, you're making it up as the way YOU think it works and calling it the only logical answer. There are hundreds of other things that might be going on there, with science or magic beyond your imagining. This same clock takes you to a place called "The Furthest Reaches of Insanity" ... I think that implies that normal logic about science is kind of out the window.

Honestly, I'm not arguing this because of balance. As was mentioned, there's no real strategic advantage or disadvantage applied by making anyone switch to another vehicle. (Well, flying is tough, and requires some work to get, but by level 30 it's probably a given that you haveit .) I think I'm just arguing with people because I don't buy their application of "logic" and because a number of the initial complaints about it were pretty snarky. Is that petty of me? Maybe. But it's over a very small point and just a couple of clicks to switch, so it's hardly breaking the game for anyone.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Like I said, I was only complaining because I was lazy and wanted "infinity" range to mean infinite possibilities.