May Item of the Month - highly implausible script

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

May Item of the Month - highly implausible script

Post by Ryme »

A few notes about this month's item. It's a permanent role/skill for your sidekick. It combines item find and occasionally distracting your opponent from attacking. The ability to do either of those items scales linearly with level to a cap of level 20. (There seems to be some confusion about the caps: sidekicks don't have their own levels, they adjust to reflect your own level.)

Also want to go on record as saying the sidekick shows up at level 9 the first time through the game, but however ascension/retcon works into it, in future replays of the game you'll have the sidekick from the very beginning. I'm not 100% sure how the non-donation skills will carry over, or if they need to be re-acquired, but obviously any skill donated for will be available from the start.

Also want to note that non-donation permanent sidekick skills will continue to be expanded as I think of ways to introduce them. Some of them will be powerful, going higher than most of the level-10-cap skills in there now. Likely there will be level-20 item find sidekick skills, and also level-20 block skills, just separate from each other, or at different amounts gained per level. Just want everyone to know there will be more powerful "free" options later on. In fact, one such skill went in just yesterday. (OMG spoiler!)
the SUPERnaturalist

Re: May Item of the Month - highly implausible script

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

this item is highly awesome. not that i have tried it out (or likely ever will)

edit: first comment! <- this would be a big deal if this game had more people (INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS)
=D
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Just so nobody's surprised, I figure I should mention that this item is consumed. You won't be able to use it and then turn around and sell it.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

I love it.

Although I've been mostly chip farming, with occasional breaks to PvP (to get the items), just having invested in the perm-sidekick makes me want to use him more.

And the abilities only make sense, considering that Judas is my sidekick. I mean, I know the guy is good at finding things, like pieces of silver and rope. And of course he'll distract the bad guys! Judas has my back. The ant is nice and all, but it's just not the same as hanging out with my #1 fan.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I like it. Weird thing is, I saw the name of the profession, and instantly named him "Han Solo". Seems to match rather well. :lol:

As for the price... not so sure it's worth 10 stars... yet. We'll see.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

How does his item finding being level 20 equate to a drop percentage?
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Satan

Post by Satan »

Strlikecrazy wrote:How does his item finding being level 20 equate to a drop percentage?
/It's a secret!/
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Strlikecrazy wrote:How does his item finding being level 20 equate to a drop percentage?
item find percentage = level * X; at level 20 or higher, it's 20x.
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Ryme wrote:
item find percentage = level * X; at level 20 or higher, it's 20x.
Awesome, thanks :)
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

If X (in the above 20*X) is less than 1.75 I should have the number by the end of the week. Otherwise we'll have to wait for a better spading technique.
the SUPERnaturalist

feel free to use levels 3 through 5 Muh's for your spading, and buy the script for em :)
=D
bazfum

Post by bazfum »

Is there any way we can get the Grumpy old smuggler line in the hideout in bold, or delineated in some other way? The Recyclonizer has a picture next to it. I just feel better knowing that its a "special" addition if it is marked in some way. Something that makes it feel more Item-of-the-Monthy.
foo(bar(baz(fum())));
Satan

Post by Satan »

In that same vein, I noticed that KoL doesn't mark their IotM's at all. It might be worth it to make some kind of marking that says this item is an IotM or something. Obviously less of a problem here than there because the IotM's are in color, but as we get more and more non-IotM colored items, I'm sure it'll be helpful.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

You know, that's not a bad idea. It's been so long I'd almost forgotten, but when I first started playing I can recall looking up item after item that people mentioned on the forums, or familiar after familiar based on their function, only to find many of the things I wanted to be extremely expensive. Took me a long time to catch on to what was a donation item and what was something I could get in game.
the SUPERnaturalist

put yellow border around all iotm item icons?
=D
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Why yellow? And that would be awkward for the yellow items.
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

I'm slow.
It just dawned on me today that with high level content on the schedule, the blocking aspect of the smuggler could come in handy. Is that a coincidence, or did you just want to do a permanent sidekick related IotM?
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Why not grant me credit for both? Something I wanted to do and I thought players would like also fits in well with upcoming changes.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Just wanted to note I've added a little indicator for any IotM sidekicks, and I've also put in some bolding for the one that's active. Hopefully that'll be useful for some folks.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Also put little notes on all the donation items to date in their popup descriptions.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:Also put little notes on all the donation items to date in their popup descriptions.
Plans to add similar notes for other special items like URs?

Or crib sheets? :P
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Crib sheets, maybe. I don't really need to mark URs, because they can be acquired normally. Also, I don't know what I'd call them, because I don't really think UR is the right name. Just what people ended up calling them.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

"Really Quite Rares"?
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

I think Urs should not be marked. Being a rare items is something one is supposed to find on one's own. The only things I think that should be marked are donation items, and by extension, maybe other items that cannot be obtained anymore.

On that line I noticed the Paper pumpkin pin‎ is marked, yet genuine lookalike World Series 2008 ring and baseball diamond are not.

ham banner and crib sheet might need a note. And I'd consider the custom items too, Livia's icicle pendant and TH Editor software.
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

How about "epic" or "legendary"? Or is that a bit too samey with other games?
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Ryme wrote:Also put little notes on all the donation items to date in their popup descriptions.
Shouldn't Hero's Cape be Nov and Dec? The only 2 month item.
==
insert clever .sig file here
==
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Nah, I don't want to complicate things. It was november's item, just ran longer than normal.
the SUPERnaturalist

OR you could implement in game months and defend yourself by making november's in game month longer on all years ending with 6 :D
=D